2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck, when the Ducks were first announced, Eisner (? I think, help me out here crlache) wore the jersey from the first movie.

There is a picture that I cannot quickly find that showed Eisner wearing a "first movie" jersey at a press conference. He was known for wacky ideas and it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted the real team to wear the movie jerseys, but I haven't seen anything that says that idea made it very far at all. The whole process moved pretty fast: team awarded in December '92, logos and unis unveiled early June '93, began play October '93.

Heck, when the Ducks were first announced, Eisner (? I think, help me out here crlache) wore the jersey from the first movie.

There is a picture that I cannot quickly find that showed Eisner wearing a "first movie" jersey at a press conference. He was known for wacky ideas and it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted the real team to wear the movie jerseys, but I haven't seen anything that says that idea made it very far at all. The whole process moved pretty fast: team awarded in December '92, logos and unis unveiled early June '93, began play October '93.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-51cf46c6/turbine/la-sp-nhl-draft-ducks-20130630-001/600/600x395

http://www.trbimg.com/img-51cf46c6/turbine/la-sp-nhl-draft-ducks-20130630-001/600/600x395
I knew someone had worn the movie jerseys at a press conference and at the name annoucement conference, I just wasn't sure if it was Eisner.

IbjBaeE.png

I suspect that image is from the 1993 shareholders' meeting of the company. It was held in Anaheim in March that year; that was when it was announced that the team would begin play in 1993. This is the image I was thinking of, although I'm not positive when this was taken:

BoEkwS5.jpg

I suspect that image is from the 1993 shareholders' meeting of the company. It was held in Anaheim in March that year; that was when it was announced that the team would begin play in 1993. This is the image I was thinking of, although I'm not positive when this was taken:

BoEkwS5.jpg

That's the one I was thinking of too.

IbjBaeE.png

Yeah, the Mighty Ducks name came from the movie, but the Mighty Ducks logo was created for the team. Disney wanted to create marketing synergy, and put the logo and jerseys into D2: The Mighty Ducks. (Which also brings up one of my issues with that movie. Why would those kids be so stoked to wear the NHL Ducks jerseys, when they never wore anything close to that in the first movie? Hell, they were just the D-5 Ducks, they were never referred to as the Mighty Ducks. And why would the rest of the kids from around the country all be excited to be Ducks? They probably couldn't care less! And all of that on top of the fact that you can't change jerseys midway though a game, let alone the championship game... Whatever. Point stands.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't see why it being Disney would be reason for ridicule. Disney is one of the most biggest, successful and beloved companies ever.

That may be true, but there's also a strong "kiddie" stigma attached to the Disney name. I can tell you that as a longtime fan of Nintendo, a company with similar "family friendly" stigma issues despite putting out quality games time and time again.

Yeah, the Mighty Ducks name came from the movie, but the Mighty Ducks logo was created for the team. Disney wanted to create marketing synergy, and put the logo and jerseys into D2: The Mighty Ducks.

Yup.

(Which also brings up one of my issues with that movie. Why would those kids be so stoked to wear the NHL Ducks jerseys, when they never wore anything close to that in the first movie? Hell, they were just the D-5 Ducks, they were never referred to as the Mighty Ducks. And why would the rest of the kids from around the country all be excited to be Ducks? They probably couldn't care less! And all of that on top of the fact that you can't change jerseys midway though a game, let alone the championship game... Whatever. Point stands.)

I thought the in-universe reason for the team using the NHL Ducks jerseys was more to do with Han's substitute brother creating a new logo and uniform to unite the "old Ducks" (the remains of the first movie cast) and the "new Ducks" (new D2 characters) under a new banner. I also assumed that in-universe the NHL Ducks were founded after the events of D2. Even then the new kids being excited about being the Ducks doesn't make a lot of sense, and neither do the other things, but, whatever.

The reason the Mighty Ducks logo doesn't work for me, is because the reason it is so recognizable is the logo is obviously designed after Donald Duck. Sorry, but I get enough corporate infiltration in my sports. I don't need to be reminded that a megalith corporate entity owns my hockey team every time I look at the crest (were I a Ducks fan). I think that alone can discredit the Mighty Ducks logo.

It's still not as blatantly obvious or corporate as any of the other proposed Mighty Ducks logos. I think, had any of those been used, we wouldn't even be talking about the Ducks having throwback nights or using the old logo as a shoulder patch, unless Disney had a handshake agreement like they do with Oregon.

Speaking of which, why is it that it's perfectly OK for the Oregon Ducks to outright use Donald as a logo and mascot, but it's apparently not when the Anaheim Ducks use a logo and mascot that vaguely resembles Donald?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11342573/nhl-home-teams-wear-white-colored-jerseys

I tend to agree that white jerseys should be the home jersey in the NHL-- looks super classy and I guess I also grew up with that being the norm-- but some of Paul Lukas' reasons for the white jersey being better than the color jersey are pretty atrocious IMO.

Generally speaking I think fans tend to prefer their team's coloured jerseys, or seeing their team's colours on the ice. Then again there's also the appeal in seeing all the different opposing teams colours instead of another white jersey every game. I'm happy either way, but the current set up makes it easier to introduce team coloured third jerseys and throwbacks. So for now, at least, that's my preference.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

D2 is just a stupid, stupid movie. The kids are more excited about playing as the Ducks then they are as Team USA? Really? And that "swap the player with the really good shot with the goalie" trick is just insulting. Even for the genre. The first one is genuinally good as far as plucky underdog sports movies go, and the third one has its charm. The second though? Gah.

Speaking of which, why is it that it's perfectly OK for the Oregon Ducks to outright use Donald as a logo and mascot, but it's apparently not when the Anaheim Ducks use a logo and mascot that vaguely resembles Donald?

I think it's because cartoon-esque mascots and logos are seen as more acceptable at the college level then they are at the pro level. Donald, in his Oregon getup, fits right in with any number of old school college mascots. The Mighty Ducks' logo, on the other hand, seems blatantly "kiddy" for a NHL team. If it had been used for an AHL or IHL team? It would probably be universally beloved. Its existence in the NHL is what divides people on it.

D2 is just a stupid, stupid movie. The kids are more excited about playing as the Ducks then they are as Team USA? Really? And that "swap the player with the really good shot with the goalie" trick is just insulting. Even for the genre. The first one is genuinally good as far as plucky underdog sports movies go, and the third one has its charm. The second though? Gah.

I think it's because cartoon-esque mascots and logos are seen as more acceptable at the college level then they are at the pro level. Donald, in his Oregon getup, fits right in with any number of old school college mascots. The Mighty Ducks' logo, on the other hand, seems blatantly "kiddy" for a NHL team. If it had been used for an AHL or IHL team? It would probably be universally beloved. Its existence in the NHL is what divides people on it.

Let's not forget the Olympic menace Iceland or threats like Trinidad. No seriously D2 to any hockey fan is full on insulting. But on in the movie's defense, that girl that played the goalie was a personal favorite of mine for obvious reasons not pertaining to the plot or character.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Let's not forget the Olympic menace Iceland or threats like Trinidad. No seriously D2 to any hockey fan is full on insulting.

Good thing it's for kids, you dingus

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Most people here seem to love the skating penguin, and at the same time call the original Ducks logo "too cartoony". They're cut from the same cloth, IMO.

And guys, it wasn't just Trinidad; it was Trinidad AND Tobago. Two-in-one threat!

I don't know the most offensive part about the 2nd Mighty Ducks movie:

-The players playing more inspired after switching from Team USA to the Mighty Ducks sweaters.

-Trinidad and Tobago being a force in the movie.

-Iceland being the villain team because of the black sweaters and their Rico Swave-looking of a coach.

-Bob Miller being the play-by-play man during the Goodwill Games.

I can't be the only one on this board who hasn't seen any of the Mighty Ducks movies, can't I?

The first one's on Netflix streaming right now. I watched it for the first time as an adult... Coach Bombay is a real a-hole. It's hard to root for him.

I guess they didn't want to use Russia as the villians because the Cold War had just ended, but still. Iceland?

A movie where Canada was the villain would have been great if the only people who considered the Canadians evil were the Ducks. Like the Canadians are all stereotypically polite and nice, genuinely so, and the Ducks are like "those arrogant Canadians are so smug."

Smell the box office returns!

I can't be the only one on this board who hasn't seen any of the Mighty Ducks movies, can't I?

The first one's on Netflix streaming right now. I watched it for the first time as an adult... Coach Bombay is a real a-hole. It's hard to root for him.

The Mighty Ducks and D-2 are both on Netflix. It's a fun look back... And I thought I heard a story where it was supposed to be a little darker and grittier before Disney made it the child-friendly product we saw. I mean, the man was arrested for a DUI and you're going to let him coach children for his community service?

---

But speaking of Ducks and actual jersey things, I think we can fully and truly put to bed the gold/orange number trim speculation. This from the Ducks' Facebook page:

10533450_10152431708528472_8472006942348

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived