2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

Looks like the Binghamton Senators are getting new uniforms this year. August 30 unveil according to their Twitter. What does this mean for the parent club? Obviously not this year but next? Maybe?

BvaoJb_CUAEOgfI.jpg

BvflZZtCMAAd9OD.jpg

Uh-oh.

That looks like the old SNES jersey template.

That's never good.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sneak peak at the Islanders' final season at the Coliseum emblem, complete with the usual smacking you upside the head with symbolism that the Islanders have indeed won four Stanley Cups, all in a row

Bvam8dRCQAAxFdx.png

You make it sound like that is some kind of run-of-the-mill accomplishment? The Coliseum deserves a good send off. Some historic hockey played on that ice, regardless of the fact that most of the last 30 years has been subpar.

I meant that every logo the Islanders come out with tends to have a dynasty era reference. Obviously there should be a logo in honor of the last season there

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Has a minor team ever unveiled a new jersey that the parent team went on to use later?

I doubt it, I just hold out hope that maybe it means the parent team will do something and ditch the template junk they've been using soon. On that front hope is all I have.

A minor league team will never, ever, ever, ever reveal a template before the big league team, the top team is gonna wanna reveal it as their own first instead of spoiling the surprise and making their reveal not even something original.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

A minor league team will never, ever, ever, ever reveal a template before the big league team, the top team is gonna wanna reveal it as their own first instead of spoiling the surprise and making their reveal not even something original.

Well, actually the Bridgeport Sound Tigers started wearing these a year before the Islanders went to the retro look full time.

n6z91nglmgf5x8zz1i74h2zbw.gif

Now it wasn't exactly a "new" jersey for the Isles, but their affiliate did beat them to the punch.

Looks like the Binghamton Senators are getting new uniforms this year. August 30 unveil according to their Twitter. What does this mean for the parent club? Obviously not this year but next? Maybe?

BvaoJb_CUAEOgfI.jpg

BvflZZtCMAAd9OD.jpg

CCM!

That collar insert looks silly without the league logo. If they could just do away with it (doubtful), the uniform would look a lot better.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

FWIW, here is how the numerals are supposed to look (using #51 as an example):

Other than spacing (I eyeballed the distance between the numbers since I don't have exact measurements), these are the real deal.

Unless of course, they change (!).

I feel a little dumb for asking this, but is it common for teams to have different numbers for different areas of the uniform? If you want an elongated 5 for the back, I don't see any reason you can't use the same one on the sleeve.

Sneak peak at the Islanders' final season at the Coliseum emblem, complete with the usual smacking you upside the head with symbolism that the Islanders have indeed won four Stanley Cups, all in a row

Bvam8dRCQAAxFdx.png

Hey. The Isles have to let everyone know that they're still the last team in any of the Big-4 North American leagues to win its championship four years in a row.

"One hell of an accomplishment, even after all these years..."

Well, actually the Bridgeport Sound Tigers started wearing these a year before the Islanders went to the retro look full time.

n6z91nglmgf5x8zz1i74h2zbw.gif

Now it wasn't exactly a "new" jersey for the Isles, but their affiliate did beat them to the punch.

Eh different colors and that template was already worn by the Islanders beforehand.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

I feel a little dumb for asking this, but is it common for teams to have different numbers for different areas of the uniform? If you want an elongated 5 for the back, I don't see any reason you can't use the same one on the sleeve.

Pretty common. All NHL teams (I'm pretty sure; I may need to double-check) provide separate numerals sets for back numerals and sleeve numerals.

And, the NFL provides three sets - front, back, and "TV" numerals. And a fourth when necessary - helmet numerals.

Pretty common. All NHL teams (I'm pretty sure; I may need to double-check) provide separate numerals sets for back numerals and sleeve numerals.

And, the NFL provides three sets - front, back, and "TV" numerals. And a fourth when necessary - helmet numerals.

I've never understood this practice. Why can't one set of numbers work on all parts of the uniform? Is it really necessary to make small changes so the back numbers are taller?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Whether you prefer the Roman Theme or the Heritage look, can we all agree that the "SNES" jersey was an absolute travesty?

unless I'm missing something I thought most of the SNES sprites used the yolk/stripe template that was prevalent up to about 96 or so.

maxresdefault.jpg

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I've never understood this practice. Why can't one set of numbers work on all parts of the uniform? Is it really necessary to make small changes so the back numbers are taller?

Well, the sleeve/shoulder numbers should be bolder and more squat than the other numbers. Look at changes Nike has made with the Chiefs among others, switching their TV numbers to a smaller version of the front numbers. They look wispy and get lost from any distance. Look at a game photo of the Chicago Bears versus a photo of a Reebok replica which used the wrong sleeve font. Look at the Colorado Rockies as a team which doesn't use the standard front version of MLB Block, but instead uses a small version of the main font. It doesn't look right.

As for the front/back numbers in football, they're probably the same proportions for most teams. Still, the area the numbers are covering are different, so I don't think it's a big deal for them to be slightly altered but clearly similar. It's making the most of out the numbers in each spot.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived