2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

The Mighty Ducks logo is an instantly recognizable, iconic, modern classic. All they had to do was change their name to "Anaheim Ducks," leave the logo and jerseys as is and replace or get rid of the cartoony wordmarks.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mind that jersey and the logo, but it was kind of out of place for the Mighty Ducks. BFBS, no jade and it looked more like a Kings jersey than a Mighty Ducks jersey.

I could see it being a decent alternate now for the Ducks if the colours were changed and the logo dropped Mighty.

IbjBaeE.png

The Mighty Ducks logo is an instantly recognizable, iconic, modern classic. All they had to do was change their name to "Anaheim Ducks," leave the logo and jerseys as is and replace or get rid of the cartoony wordmarks.

Yes, except there was nothing wrong with this wordmark.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

We're throwing the word iconic around pretty easy these days. The original logo is okay, but I wouldn't put it up there with the Canadiens or Red Wings.

It's one of the best non-Original Six logos.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

When I think of the best non-Original Six logos I think St. Louis, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Buffalo, Minnesota. The Mighty Ducks' primary was certainly recognizable though. That might be enough to make it iconic, but I wouldn't put it in the upper tier of non-Original Six marks. The reliance on hockey sticks hurt it.

I'm a big fan of the Mighty Ducks logo. It's probably the nicest logo that debuted in the '90s, it just sometimes gets a bad rap because people associate it with Emilio Estevez and the flying V. However, one thing that has only recently started bothering me is that the logo utilizes two colours that were nowhere to be found on the original uniform, and is completely devoid of eggplant, the team's primary colour. People may bring up the Blackhawks as an example of a good logo that uses non-team colours, but Chief Blackhawk would look awkward in just red, white, and black. capn89's concept from a couple years ago shows how much better the duck mask would look with eggplant added, and black and yellow removed.

6947806452_876195f6dd_b.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Mighty Ducks logo. It's probably the nicest logo that debuted in the '90s, it just sometimes gets a bad rap because people associate it with Emilio Estevez and the flying V. However, one thing that has only recently started bothering me is that the logo utilizes two colours that were nowhere to be found on the original uniform, and is completely devoid of eggplant, the team's primary colour. People may bring up the Blackhawks as an example of a good logo that uses non-team colours, but Chief Blackhawk would look awkward in just red, white, and black. capn89's concept from a couple years ago shows how much better the duck mask would look with eggplant added, and black and yellow removed.

Didn't the Blackhawks have a Black White and Red logo sometime in they're future? Or am I thinking of a different team?

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

When I think of the best non-Original Six logos I think St. Louis, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Buffalo, Minnesota.
The old Minnesota North Stars logo was right up there as well and the original Sabres logo is still better than the current outlined one.

Its one of the best non-Original Six logos.

When I think of the best non-Original Six logos I think St. Louis, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Buffalo, Minnesota. The Mighty Ducks' primary was certainly recognizable though. That might be enough to make it iconic, but I wouldn't put it in the upper tier of non-Original Six marks. The reliance on hockey sticks hurt it.

You had me until Buffalo. If that logo is on the list, Anaheim makes it by leaps and bounds.

All due respect to capn89 and his great concepts, I disagree wholeheartedly. Changing the black to eggplant makes the logo look washed out... or that it came from a printer that needs its ink replaced.

The fact the logo doesn't utilize eggplant is actually one of my favourite features. Jade, Black, Silver and Yellow look great together and the absence of eggplant detracts from the cartoony feel. I've always wished they'd drop the eggplant all together & replace it with black.

Its one of the best non-Original Six logos.

You had me until Buffalo. If that logo is on the list, Anaheim makes it by leaps and bounds.

All due respect to capn89 and his great concepts, I disagree wholeheartedly. Changing the black to eggplant makes the logo look washed out... or that it came from a printer that needs its ink replaced.

The fact the logo doesn't utilize eggplant is actually one of my favourite features. Jade, Black, Silver and Yellow look great together and the absence of eggplant detracts from the cartoony feel. I've always wished they'd drop the eggplant all together & replace it with black.

The absence of eggplant detracts from the cartoony feel? Not sure what you mean.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The reason the Mighty Ducks logo doesn't work for me, is because the reason it is so recognizable is the logo is obviously designed after Donald Duck. Sorry, but I get enough corporate infiltration in my sports. I don't need to be reminded that a megalith corporate entity owns my hockey team every time I look at the crest (were I a Ducks fan). I think that alone can discredit the Mighty Ducks logo.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11342573/nhl-home-teams-wear-white-colored-jerseys

I tend to agree that white jerseys should be the home jersey in the NHL-- looks super classy and I guess I also grew up with that being the norm-- but some of Paul Lukas' reasons for the white jersey being better than the color jersey are pretty atrocious IMO.

Flyers "As is the case with so many teams, the white version feels light and slick, while the colored one feels heavy and leaden"

(What? orange is a pretty slick looking color especially being a unique color in the leage and how does it feel heavy? come on)

Blues "There's such a thing as too much blue -- even for a team called the Blues."

(Ehh i've always though the yellow numbers really pop against the blue and especially once they make the changes to get rid of piping.. blue jersey will look really great)

He also seems quick to discredit amazing classic colorful uniforms like Blackhawks and Leafs.

The reason the Mighty Ducks logo doesn't work for me, is because the reason it is so recognizable is the logo is obviously designed after Donald Duck. Sorry, but I get enough corporate infiltration in my sports. I don't need to be reminded that a megalith corporate entity owns my hockey team every time I look at the crest (were I a Ducks fan). I think that alone can discredit the Mighty Ducks logo.

There are many cartoon ducks that look like that. Once they went with the name from the movie and that concept for the logo, that mask was going to pretty much look like that whether or not Disney owned Donald Duck.

There are many cartoon ducks that look like that. Once they went with the name from the movie and that concept for the logo, that mask was going to pretty much look like that whether or not Disney owned Donald Duck.

It's all based on perspective.

If the logo appeared in a Disney movie before the franchise (which it did), people will associate it with Donald Duck and be ridiculed.

If the logo didn't appear in a Disney movie and was unveiled at the expansion draft (or something like that), it would be associated with being a good logo.

I don't see why it being Disney would be reason for ridicule. Disney is one of the most biggest, successful and beloved companies ever.

Anywho, the Mighty Ducks logo was created for the team. The logo started with the Mighty Ducks team in 1992 and was in D2 which was in 1994.

IbjBaeE.png

It's all based on perspective.

If the logo appeared in a Disney movie before the franchise (which it did), people will associate it with Donald Duck and be ridiculed.

If the logo didn't appear in a Disney movie and was unveiled at the expansion draft (or something like that), it would be associated with being a good logo.

The Ducks name came from the first movie. The Wildwing mask logo did not appear in the movies until D2, which came out in 1994. The hockey team started playing in 1993.

Archived