2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lightning and Maple Leafs look the same.

Except not at all...one has a bunch of stripes on their socks, the other has one stripe. One has plain blue pants, the other has a lightning bolt on the pants. One has double stripes on the jersey, and the other has a single stripe....they are not that similar.

oMG SO DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Yea it kind of is

Except not at all...one has a bunch of stripes on their socks, the other has one stripe. One has plain blue pants, the other has a lightning bolt on the pants. One has double stripes on the jersey, and the other has a single stripe....they are not that similar.

Yea it kind of is

EXACT same color scheme, both have extremely simple white stripes, both have the have exact same collar down to the tie down laces, both have a primary logo with very simple imagery, both have a shoulder patch that's has more to it than the primary, both wear monochrome of the exact same blue at home, both have block number fonts, no arched NOBs, but OH one has lightning bolt pants and the other has lots o stripes on the socks so that's enough! Sure the jerseys themselves are identical (OMG one of the same plain white stripe instead of two, so different!), but oh well apparently that doesn't matter because of the socks.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Here we go again...

When the Leafs first started wearing blue and white, Robert Borden and Wilfred Laurier were duking it out in the House of Commons over the Conscription Crisis. Barring a brief period in green and white, they've owned that colour scheme as much as a sports team can "own" one. When you dress in head-to-toe blue for nearly a century, win twelve Cups in the colour, have over sixty Hall of Famers wear it, and have your team nicknamed "the blue and white", you're going to develop a special connection. Excuse me for being bothered by the fact that a 1993 expansion team decided to drop their fairly consistent identity in favour of one that dresses head-to-toe in the exact same shade of blue, and pushed for by a guy who grew up cheering for the Leafs.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Wait, are they actually doing attendance by "butts in the seats", or are they still doing tickets sold?

The number of people actually in the arena.
NO WAY!

Official attendance for the Ottawa game was just under 8,000. When seen on TV, it was painfully obvious that butts in the seats numbered about 5,000 less than that!

The building looked (a little) more full last night against Philadelphia. I'm confident if the Panthers can keep getting points that building will look a lot fuller come December.

I like the Panthers*. I have a special place in my heart for them mainly because my brother owns a house down in Naples and I tend to go down and catch a game (or two) when I'm in town. So I hope they can weather this storm.

*But then again my favorite teams growing up in the late 70s/early 80s were the Minnesota North Stars, Hartford Whalers and Colorado Rockies and look how that turned out. :( Maybe me liking this team will be its downfall. I should start liking the Winnipeg Jets, Buffalo Sabres and Vancouver Canucks. :lol:

The Catch of the Day!

Yea it kind of is
EXACT same color scheme, both have extremely simple white stripes, both have the have exact same collar down to the tie down laces, both have a primary logo with very simple imagery, both have a shoulder patch that's has more to it than the primary, both wear monochrome of the exact same blue at home, both have block number fonts, no arched NOBs, but OH one has lightning bolt pants and the other has lots o stripes on the socks so that's enough! Sure the jerseys themselves are identical (OMG one of the same plain white stripe instead of two, so different!), but oh well apparently that doesn't matter because of the socks.

The Carolina Hurricanes home uniforms are closer to the Leafs than the Lightning. The jersey is the same except in red. Your argument is absurdly childish. Are the Stars the green Rangers? If the Islanders play the Oilers...do you get confused?

Yea it kind of is

They both wear blue and white, thats where the similarities end.

Yea it kind of is

You can believe what you want.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

The problem people have with the Lightning isn't just that they're "wearing Leafs colours." Its that they ditched a very nice colour scheme that theyhad always worn (Black, blue, white and silver) in favour of a look reminiscent of two O6 teams, as if to make their jerseys look more "classic".

Yea it kind of is
You can believe what you want.

What about the Bolts homes and the Red Wings homes. Same sock stripe, different pants but both have a design on the side, same striping pattern on the jersey, but Detroit has arched NOBs and no laces. Only other difference....one is red, one is blue. But apparently 9 stripes forming 3 northwestern stripes on the socks are "the same" to you as one thick stripe. Plain blue pants are apparently the same as ones with Lightning bolts with black outlines on them....

The building looked (a little) more full last night against Philadelphia.

no it didn't

10734281_10204396447043967_6519953429566

I mean I suppose technically you're right that it wasn't less full than the games with Phoenix and Ottawa but that's still dire, especially for a game that's supposed to be a draw down there. South Florida is lousy with transplanted Philadelphians (there's never a better time to use "lousy" as a synonym for "teeming" than concerning a number of Philadelphians).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I honestly confuse the Lightning and Leafs when watching highlights. I don't have that problem with other teams. The colors and striping are close enough to cause that confusion, especially when wearing blue.

Are there differences? Absolutely.

When I watch for more than a few seconds, do I know who it is? Of course.

Is there a lack of instant recognition? In my opinion, yes.

Carolina wears the exact Leafs template at home, but I don't mix them up because of the very different colors. Maybe eventually I'll mix them up with Detroit, but I haven't had that problem yet. Just like the Stars wear the Rangers template and the Sens and Pens have the same templates, but colors differentiate them.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're going to share color schemes, wear jerseys that are remarkably different.

Rangers/Blue Jackets/Capitals/Canadiens, all the same colors, all very recognizably different. Lightning/Leafs, not so clear.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The problem people have with the Lightning isn't just that they're "wearing Leafs colours." Its that they ditched a very nice colour scheme that theyhad always worn (Black, blue, white and silver) in favour of a look reminiscent of two O6 teams, as if to make their jerseys look more "classic".

I absolutely agree with you. They had a good look as well as a colour scheme before that was unique. Their current look isn't terrible but it is really boring and obviously, it is just way too similar to Toronto and the third jersey does not help their cause at all. It screams 'LA'. If the Lightning want to use a colour scheme that doesn't use black, they should at least use something unique that doesn't look super close to another team. Speaking of Toronto, I miss that Winter Classic jersey they wore last year. That should at least be their third jersey. That jersey is beautiful, and that's coming from someone who isn't a big fan of the Leafs.

I honestly confuse the Lightning and Leafs when watching highlights. I don't have that problem with other teams. The colors and striping are close enough to cause that confusion, especially when wearing blue.

Are there differences? Absolutely.

When I watch for more than a few seconds, do I know who it is? Of course.

Is there a lack of instant recognition? In my opinion, yes.

Carolina wears the exact Leafs template at home, but I don't mix them up because of the very different colors. Maybe eventually I'll mix them up with Detroit, but I haven't had that problem yet. Just like the Stars wear the Rangers template and the Sens and Pens have the same templates, but colors differentiate them.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're going to share color schemes, wear jerseys that are remarkably different.

Rangers/Blue Jackets/Capitals/Canadiens, all the same colors, all very recognizably different. Lightning/Leafs, not so clear.

I confuse them for Toronto constantly. Carolina's jerseys leave a lot of questions too. Why would you ditch the Hurricane Stripes? For one of quite a few red and black teams, those stripes allowed them to stand out where now, it isn't the same. The red jersey is quite boring. They could have done a way better job with their home jersey. As for their road jersey, it has really grown on me. I think it is actually a decent jersey. I don't know where you guys stand on this but I think it would be nice to see the Hurricanes make their third jersey the home jersey with a matching road jersey. I have liked that jersey since the Hurricanes unveiled it.

I can see that, but the overall effect was such a ludicrously huge upgrade (especially the logo) that it doesn't bother me.

I can see that, but the overall effect was such a ludicrously huge upgrade (especially the logo) that it doesn't bother me.

The clip art logo is a downgrade. The colours are a downgrade. It looks better because it's not a reebok made abomination, but it's still not a good look for the lightning. Imagine if the Bucs changed their uniforms but to ones that looked just like the 9ers. Yeah it would be a better looking uniform than the abominations they have now, but it's not a good identity

Archived