2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

How centerfield in Houston will look in 2016.

UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE.

CGrJMcEW8AAemn_.jpg

Looks much better. I think I had the misfortune of seeing Fenway Park (2002) and Minute Maid Park at their low points. For such a "new" park, it was so outdated in 2009, with old, broken down scoreboards and a terrible atmosphere.

They don't need an unsafe hill and pole-in-play to be quirky.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't need an unsafe hill and pole-in-play to be quirky.

In it's 15 years, was anybody ever injured on it?

I figured it'd eventually take a player blowing out a knee or getting concussed by a pole before they'd ever squash the hill.

6uXNWAo.png

Well, the AL East is waking up. Maybe there'll be a WC spot for the Jays after all?

Hopefully. It makes the playoffs exciting, and the Astros-White Sox game is really exciting right now. Won't mind these two teams in the playoffs.

I want championships!

Royals fans have selected to ruin the All Star Game.

The MLB pulled the fan vote after Reds fans stuffed the ballot for the '57 All-Star game.

I could see the same happening here. I wouldn't be surprised if similar discussions are already happening. I would be all for it if it was pulled. I don't think the fan vote does anything except create paperwork and allow for undeserving players to get in.

Royals fans have selected to ruin the All Star Game.

The MLB pulled the fan vote after Reds fans stuffed the ballot for the '57 All-Star game.

I could see the same happening here. I wouldn't be surprised if similar discussions are already happening. I would be all for it if it was pulled. I don't think the fan vote does anything except create paperwork and allow for undeserving players to get in.

I grew up steadfast with this opinion. The most deserving players often got snubbed. I recall Mike Schmidt getting elected after he retired and (same year I think) Jose Canseco getting in while player fewer than 10 games with an injury.

I have kinda softened though. "All Star" does not have to mean best player. It's the players the fans want to see. So I get that fans may want to see a former superstar having a sub-par year over that one player on the small market team that is having a huge year but the casual fan has yet to notice. I am OK with that. Provided, of course, that the game does not count. Since it does, suddenly, I kinda want to see the squads selected with winning in mind. I suppose that all-Royals double play combo will be cohesive :).

Of course, even if it did not count, the problem with fan voting is the internet, stuffing ballot boxes, etc. Didn't Yao pretty much get elected every year because all of China voted him in? I don't know whether there is a way around this problem. I suppose it would be to only allow voting in the ballparks. But the PR on going back to that would be bad (only for those that can afford it) and internet voting is probably viewed as helping keep fans engaged.

If it were up to me:

• Exhibition game
  • Every team represented (it's all the basement-dwelling teams' fans have)
  • NFL-style selection (fan/player/managers, 1/3 each) for starters. Manager still select reserves. No bothering with selecting that one extra reserve.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Of course, even if it did not count, the problem with fan voting is the internet, stuffing ballot boxes, etc. Didn't Yao pretty much get elected every year because all of China voted him in? I don't know whether there is a way around this problem. I suppose it would be to only allow voting in the ballparks. But the PR on going back to that would be bad (only for those that can afford it) and internet voting is probably viewed as helping keep fans engaged.

If it were up to me:

• Exhibition game
  • Every team represented (it's all the basement-dwelling teams' fans have)
  • NFL-style selection (fan/player/managers, 1/3 each) for starters. Manager still select reserves. No bothering with selecting that one extra reserve.

I think MLB stopped doing paper/in-stadium balloting this year actually yes?

Definitely they should just adopt the NFL model for this thing, fans should still have a big impact, yet some Royals fan for example could be voting 35x using an infinite number of unique accounts/isps. Thus negating the voting limit.

I also would not be shocked, since the game is not in KC, to see several of the Royals 'starters' opt out of the starting lineup.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The problem with fan voting is the internet, stuffing ballot boxes, etc.

Except that isn't the problem.

The issue isn't how they vote, its who they vote for. Nobody cares if people ballot stuff for Mike Trout. Its when its ballot stuffing for Omar Infante that it becomes an issue.

I would be perfectly fine with MLB (and all leagues) dropping the All-Star Game. The old days of NL fans never getting to see AL stars play and vice versa are long gone, so there's no real reason to have it.

yeah that Chris Sale fella sure can pitch

Yes. He and Rodon have been pretty much the only bright spots for this team to date. Quintana has been pretty good after a few rough early starts. Samardizja has been garbage. He might well kick himself for turning down the extension the team offered him in the offseason. The way things are going, he'll be signing a 1 yr, $10 mil contract to rebuild value before taking one last run at a mega contract. He's bound to improve somewhat, but if the season ended today, I'm not even sure if you'd offer him arbitration.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I would be perfectly fine with MLB (and all leagues) dropping the All-Star Game. The old days of NL fans never getting to see AL stars play and vice versa are long gone, so there's no real reason to have it.

There'$ a $pecific rea$on a$ to why the A$G exi$t$. Want to gue$$?

Archived