NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt I could ever watch a tv show in silence and enjoy it as much as I do with sound, but that could just be a result of my being a whipper-snapper and growing up with all these newfangled gizmos and doodads (I kid)..

But I do think the original dolphins logo is a bit dated (in a negative way), although I don't think it's a bad logo.. It just needed to be freshened-up a bit, and it has been.. As I said earlier, I'm happy with the evolution of the logo, although I'd be fine had some other tweaks been made along the way

as for the logo, i actually prefer the current "cruiseline" logo to the original.. it's sleek and modern, and it's from a place where beachfront resorts and cruiselines are common, so if that analogy is going to continue to be thrown around, then hey - it fits!...

I can use this logic to defend the throwback logo. It's 60s aesthetic and kitsch nature reminds me of a sort of retro aesthetic you would associate with roadside attractions along the highway in Florida during the 1950s and 1960s.

Sure, a cruise line is just as "Floridian," but I'll take the older logo with character over the newer bland logo every day.

to each his own i guess... a blotchy mess isn't much "character" in my book, but the campy nature of the dolphin wearing a helmet and a retro look that really "feels" vintage can definitely have some charm.. i get that.. i'm a child of the 80's and 90's, so i wasn't around for 50's and 60's road trips through florida...

Heh. So am I. So yeah, road trips through 1950s and 60s Florida were a bit before my time too. And two things about that...

1) Your age has nothing to do with what you like. So many people here, of my generation and younger, "justify" their preference for modern looks by saying "I'm a child of the 80s/90s/early 2000s so I like modern stuff." No. You like modern stuff because that's just your preference. There's nothing wrong with that, but stop trying to claim that being from a certain era dictates one's aesthetic preferences. I was born in 1987. I was the target demo when teams across the "big four" went with out there uniforms, logo, and colour schemes during the mid 1990s. I have a nostalgic appreciation for some of it, but by and large? I think most of it sucks. I may be "a child of the 90s" but I'm with oldschoolvikings. The 60s were the golden age of sports design.

2) Tying into the first point...you don't have to have first hand experience with something to appreciate it. Florida's kitschy roadside attractions were long gone by the time I came around but I'm still familiar with them. As such? I appreciate the slightly dated/kitschy look of the 60s Dolphins logo. It just works for me because of that connection and awareness.

As for the current logo? The current logo's pose may be accurate but it's still inferior. It just isn't as dynamic as the pose of the old logo. And the style? The old logo, detailed sun and all, had kitschy 1960s character. The 1997 update had 1990s attitude. The current logo? It's a bland, corporate mark. Devoid of any sort of character or charm.

If you disagree? Cool. That's fine. Posting pictures of actual dolphins won't change my mind though. I just don't think it works. It's bland, wispy, and lifeless.

Well, just to bring this back around:

1. I never used my age to "justify" anything.. I mentioned my age to simply illustrate my lack of familiarity with Florida's kitschy roadside attractions of the 50's and 60's.. I also stated that I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms, so to throw around the whole "you like modern because of whatever" is the exact opposite of anything I said.

2. I'm pretty sure I also agreed with oldschoolviking about the 60's design, but I specified uniform design - not logo design.. The braisher stripes and block numerals from the era look great on just about any team. I love them on the Steelers and lions, and previously packers and browns.. I prefer classic looks and classic logos, but I also support modernizing the aesthetic with the technology of the era.. I like modern sleeve cuts, especially the slight QB cuts that like Matt Ryan wears (mainly because that would be the ideal fan-cut rather than the elbow length t-shirt cut). So, with that said, the blotchy mess that the dolphins used in the 60's needed to be modernized.. There are several ways they could've gone about that.. I personally like the ways they've gone, but that doesn't mean I think they're perfect, or that I would've disliked other routes they might've gone.. The new dolphin has a pose that could be leaping or swimming, suggests more motion, and has far better detail within the dolphin and the sun.. That equals "more dynamic" in my book.. Also, the current dolphin has a wider profile, stronger pose, and thicker body, so I'm not getting a very "wispy" feel.. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but please don't attack mine by putting words in my mouth and embellishing my statements..

I doubt I could ever watch a tv show in silence and enjoy it as much as I do with sound, but that could just be a result of my being a whipper-snapper and growing up with all these newfangled gizmos and doodads (I kid)..

But I do think the original dolphins logo is a bit dated (in a negative way), although I don't think it's a bad logo.. It just needed to be freshened-up a bit, and it has been.. As I said earlier, I'm happy with the evolution of the logo, although I'd be fine had some other tweaks been made along the way

yea it is a bad logo, because it's poorly drawn and overly detailed. it's reproduction gets very messy at small size and especially embroidery. you were right before about it being "a blotchy mess". the new logo adresses those problems a bit but it's long, thin sun rays don't do it any favor. still, i'd have to say the current logo is absolutely "better" for everything it needs to do, and that includes being the beacon of a modern brand. but as far as what i'd like to see on the helmets personally, well, that actually would be an orange M. like the original logo's dolphin wore

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

yea it is a bad logo, because it's poorly drawn and overly detailed. it's reproduction gets very messy at small size and especially embroidery. you were right before about it being "a blotchy mess". the new logo adresses those problems a bit but it's long, thin sun rays don't do it any favor. still, i'd have to say the current logo is absolutely "better" for everything it needs to do, and that includes being the beacon of a modern brand. but as far as what i'd like to see on the helmets personally, well, that actually would be an orange M. like the original logo's dolphin wore

A very "dolphin-y" M could look nice on the helmet if done in a way to mimic dorsal fin(s), with some watery or sun-related features.. Wouldn't mind seeing that mocked up

The Seahawks have green practice jerseys this year. I'd love to see a green version of their on-field jersey.

nkuUnuR.jpg

I think these are great for training camp--brighten everyone's spirits, make sure all players are clearly visible, have some fun with a unique element of the team's identity--and that they don't need to see the light of day in an official game ever.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

as for the logo, i actually prefer the current "cruiseline" logo to the original.. it's sleek and modern, and it's from a place where beachfront resorts and cruiselines are common, so if that analogy is going to continue to be thrown around, then hey - it fits!...

I can use this logic to defend the throwback logo. It's 60s aesthetic and kitsch nature reminds me of a sort of retro aesthetic you would associate with roadside attractions along the highway in Florida during the 1950s and 1960s.

Sure, a cruise line is just as "Floridian," but I'll take the older logo with character over the newer bland logo every day.

to each his own i guess... a blotchy mess isn't much "character" in my book, but the campy nature of the dolphin wearing a helmet and a retro look that really "feels" vintage can definitely have some charm.. i get that.. i'm a child of the 80's and 90's, so i wasn't around for 50's and 60's road trips through florida...

Heh. So am I. So yeah, road trips through 1950s and 60s Florida were a bit before my time too. And two things about that...

1) Your age has nothing to do with what you like. So many people here, of my generation and younger, "justify" their preference for modern looks by saying "I'm a child of the 80s/90s/early 2000s so I like modern stuff." No. You like modern stuff because that's just your preference. There's nothing wrong with that, but stop trying to claim that being from a certain era dictates one's aesthetic preferences. I was born in 1987. I was the target demo when teams across the "big four" went with out there uniforms, logo, and colour schemes during the mid 1990s. I have a nostalgic appreciation for some of it, but by and large? I think most of it sucks. I may be "a child of the 90s" but I'm with oldschoolvikings. The 60s were the golden age of sports design.

2) Tying into the first point...you don't have to have first hand experience with something to appreciate it. Florida's kitschy roadside attractions were long gone by the time I came around but I'm still familiar with them. As such? I appreciate the slightly dated/kitschy look of the 60s Dolphins logo. It just works for me because of that connection and awareness.

As for the current logo? The current logo's pose may be accurate but it's still inferior. It just isn't as dynamic as the pose of the old logo. And the style? The old logo, detailed sun and all, had kitschy 1960s character. The 1997 update had 1990s attitude. The current logo? It's a bland, corporate mark. Devoid of any sort of character or charm.

If you disagree? Cool. That's fine. Posting pictures of actual dolphins won't change my mind though. I just don't think it works. It's bland, wispy, and lifeless.

1. I never used my age to "justify" anything.. I mentioned my age to simply illustrate my lack of familiarity with Florida's kitschy roadside attractions of the 50's and 60's..

Yep. And I showed how you don't have to have grown up in that era to be familiar with them. Or is everything prior to the date of your birth just an unknowable mystery to you?

The fact that you're ignorant to something doesn't mean it's not suitable for a company or team to use as inspiration. The Dolphins are a team in Florida established during the 1960s. A uniform and logo that reflects that isn't a bad thing.

I also stated that I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms, so to throw around the whole "you like modern because of whatever" is the exact opposite of anything I said.

"because of whatever"? Given that you're going to get pissy at me over supposedly putting words on your mouth? Poor form.

2. I'm pretty sure I also agreed with oldschoolviking about the 60's design, but I specified uniform design - not logo design.. The braisher stripes and block numerals from the era look great on just about any team. I love them on the Steelers and lions, and previously packers and browns.. I prefer classic looks and classic logos, but I also support modernizing the aesthetic with the technology of the era..

Ok, cool. I think we all agree that throwbacks or uniforms that take cues from earlier designs should be reproduced with modern technologies. No one is arguing for the return of actual 1960s uniform construction.

I like modern sleeve cuts, especially the slight QB cuts that like Matt Ryan wears (mainly because that would be the ideal fan-cut rather than the elbow length t-shirt cut).

I'm fond of the Romo/Brady cut myself. Though I prefer the elbow length t-shirt cut above all else. The football uniform dictates that the numbers will go front and centre. The sleeves represent precious real estate for design. Why limit your options with shorter sleeves?

Obviously players will shorten them anyway, but that's more a question of the NFL enforcing its own uniform regulations then anything else.

So, with that said, the blotchy mess that the dolphins used in the 60's needed to be modernized..

They modernized it in the mid 90s. It's alright. I don't mind it. Certainly prefer it over the modern mess. Still? My ideal Dolphins logo is the 60s version but cleaned up. No navy shading. No aggressive dolphin face. Just take the mark and clean it up a bit.

The new dolphin has a pose that could be leaping or swimming, suggests more motion, and has far better detail within the dolphin and the sun.. That equals "more dynamic" in my book.. Also, the current dolphin has a wider profile, stronger pose, and thicker body, so I'm not getting a very "wispy" feel.. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but please don't attack mine by putting words in my mouth and embellishing my statements..

First off, I disagree with you on every point about the merits of the new logo. It is, in my opinion, wispy and insubstantial. The best way I can illustrate that would be to point out how insignificant it looks on the sleeves of the primary home and roads. The outlines are thin and the strokes of colour just fail to jump off the uniform. It's just looks weak.

As for the bold...I offered a counter-argument to your position. That's how a discussion works. It wasn't an "attack." And I didn't embellish a thing.

So, with that said, the blotchy mess that the dolphins used in the 60's needed to be modernized..

They modernized it in the mid 90s. It's alright. I don't mind it. Certainly prefer it over the modern mess. Still? My ideal Dolphins logo is the 60s version but cleaned up. No navy shading. No aggressive dolphin face. Just take the mark and clean it up a bit.

I'd love to see a cleaned up version of the 60's logo. Remember that awesome thread in concept where somebody cleaned up a bunch of old kitschy, high character college marks from way back? Some of those tuned out amazing.

I get that for all the varied modern uses a logo has to carry through these days that old mark is a non-starter. Obviously those details work poorly as embroidery for instance. But i'd really like to see if the basics could be saved.

Its the same with the throwback uniform... they didn't try to put the TV numbers back on the sleeve, they kept the tight modern template, but, within those limitations, they kept as close to the original as possible. Why not do that to the logo?

1. I never used my age to "justify" anything.. I mentioned my age to simply illustrate my lack of familiarity with Florida's kitschy roadside attractions of the 50's and 60's..

Yep. And I showed how you don't have to have grown up in that era to be familiar with them. Or is everything prior to the date of your birth just an unknowable mystery to you?

The fact that you're ignorant to something doesn't mean it's not suitable for a company or team to use as inspiration. The Dolphins are a team in Florida established during the 1960s. A uniform and logo that reflects that isn't a bad thing.

I also stated that I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms, so to throw around the whole "you like modern because of whatever" is the exact opposite of anything I said.

"because of whatever"? Given that you're going to get pissy at me over supposedly putting words on your mouth? Poor form.

2. I'm pretty sure I also agreed with oldschoolviking about the 60's design, but I specified uniform design - not logo design.. The braisher stripes and block numerals from the era look great on just about any team. I love them on the Steelers and lions, and previously packers and browns.. I prefer classic looks and classic logos, but I also support modernizing the aesthetic with the technology of the era..

Ok, cool. I think we all agree that throwbacks or uniforms that take cues from earlier designs should be reproduced with modern technologies. No one is arguing for the return of actual 1960s uniform construction.

I like modern sleeve cuts, especially the slight QB cuts that like Matt Ryan wears (mainly because that would be the ideal fan-cut rather than the elbow length t-shirt cut).

I'm fond of the Romo/Brady cut myself. Though I prefer the elbow length t-shirt cut above all else. The football uniform dictates that the numbers will go front and centre. The sleeves represent precious real estate for design. Why limit your options with shorter sleeves?

Obviously players will shorten them anyway, but that's more a question of the NFL enforcing its own uniform regulations then anything else.

The new dolphin has a pose that could be leaping or swimming, suggests more motion, and has far better detail within the dolphin and the sun.. That equals "more dynamic" in my book.. Also, the current dolphin has a wider profile, stronger pose, and thicker body, so I'm not getting a very "wispy" feel.. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but please don't attack mine by putting words in my mouth and embellishing my statements..

First off, I disagree with you on every point about the merits of the new logo. It is, in my opinion, wispy and insubstantial. The best way I can illustrate that would be to point out how insignificant it looks on the sleeves of the primary home and roads. The outlines are thin and the strokes of colour just fail to jump off the uniform. It's just looks weak.

As for the bold...I offered a counter-argument to your position. That's how a discussion works. It wasn't an "attack." And I didn't embellish a thing.

Well, you tried to claim that I let my age dictate my preferences, by grouping me into an entire collective which claims to prefer "modern" due to growing up in a particular era, which was 100% opposite of any claim I made.. I'm from the "modern" era, but prefer traditional uniforms and traditional uniform elements.. I assumed that I could shorten the elaborate explanation and having to include your entire quote with the short quote and substituting the rest with the "whatever" (which is short for "whatever you say/said", and is therefore accurate), so I didn't really feel as though it were poor form, but again, to each his own..

It was for that reason (you changing the context of my statements and then attacking the points of my argument that you created), that I said you were putting words in my mouth and attacking my opinion. We can certainly agree to disagree on the merit of the original logo, but to attack my other comments and change them around to suit your agenda is poor form.. Again, I never used my age to justify anything, simply to illustrate my lack of familiarity with one single element of a brief period in Florida's history (which is quite a stretch to try to link the dolphins imagery to that anyway, but that's neither here nor there).. But, when you said I used my age to justify my opinion, that was completely false and it was an attack on me, not part of a discussion.. Also, you stated that I like modern, which was also false, and also part of that attack, so we can discuss the merits of the old dolphins logo and we can have differing opinions, but I feel like we actually agree on a pretty large amount of the details involved, but your personal attacks seemed to have gotten in the way of you seeing that.. As BrandMooreArt and OldSchoolVikings have stated, it is a blotchy mess that needed to be cleaned up.. Did they always go the absolute best route in doing so? Probably not.. Am I still happy with the results? Absolutely.

I'd love to see a cleaned up version of the 60's logo. Remember that awesome thread in concept where somebody cleaned up a bunch of old kitschy, high character college marks from way back? Some of those tuned out amazing.

Ren69 did indeed clean up the original logo:

LogoTemplate_VintageLogos_MiamiDolphins1

I'm pretty ambivalent about the Dolphins' logo. I could go for any option they present (blotchy dolphin, angry dolphin, ocean liner dolphin), so long as it uses shades of aqua and orange alone.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the Dolphins' logo. I could go for any option they present (blotchy dolphin, angry dolphin, ocean liner dolphin), so long as it uses shades of aqua and orange alone.

That's pretty nice. For modern use, the thin spikes would still need to go, and I could personally live with out the angry eyebrow thingy. But its better than the cruise line logo.

That's a great cleanup! I'd still say modernize slightly (just because the detailing doesn't really help, it's just kinda there.. I'd like it to enhance the dolphin a bit more), but otherwise that looks really good.. I agree with keeping it aqua and orange (although I like the 2-tone aqua to help add a bit of necessary shading), but the navy was just too much.. A sleeker "M" on the dolphin's helmet and losing those tiny sunrays could go a long way, but this is basically exactly what I've been describing as the sort of cleanup the original logo needed.. Ren is awesome at cleaning these things up!

I agree. The Redskins white jersey burgundy pants look is my favorite look in the NFL. The gold is ok, but the burgundy is just gorgeous.

spacer.png

On 11/19/2012 at 7:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:
She’s still half convinced “Chris Creamer” is a porn site.)

Archived