NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rams throwbacks vs 49ers gold/red/gold would look astounding.

Notice how every good match-up almost requires a throwback uniform...says something about the crappy modern designs and colors

49ers will probably just ruin any good to be had by wearing their terrible ALL BLACK uniform.

bSLCtu2.png

A friend of mine is at Dolphins training camp and snapped a pic from the Pro Shop of the throwbacks. I tried to post the pic but got a warning message it can't be used. I'll try again later.

https://twitter.com/A_Siracusa27/status/626765043921780736/photo/1

Probably because he has a private account. Only way to post it would be to save the photo and upload it.

The throwback look is nice. The inaccuracies don't really bother me that much as they're not that noticeable. In regards to them being brought back full-time, I wouldn't mind it, but they're going to have to find a way to modernize it a bit. I don't think anyone can deny on how outdated their old logo was and grey facemasks (as someone said on another thread) universally suck. I just hope we make these our full-time alternate uniforms because they're absolutely gorgeous.

OK, I'll deny it.

Yeah, I'm going to have to deny it as well.

You guys could've at least elaborated on why you deny it. <_<

I'm just saying, the least the Dolphins could do is clean up the logo a little bit because it does show age.

I think we elaborated on why we don't think its outdated just about as well as you elaborated on why you think it is. ^_^

The old dolphins logo is dated in that it is overly detailed in ways that don't visually improve the logo, but rather jumble/muddle it up.. The '97 update was a very good update to that logo by eliminating the unnecessary sun rays and converting the white blob of highlight to sleek and modern highlighting/shading.. The blotchy and haphazard appearance of the dolphin didn't mesh with the well-detailed helmet and overly detailed sun.. It wasn't a bad logo, but it was certainly dated.. As a dolphins fan myself, I'm happy with the evolution of the logo, even the current version.

Week 2: Broncos at KC. Red vs. Orange. Nightmare!

Other bad looking games to-be (at least at first glance):

Ravens/Steelers

Browns/Bengals

Broncos could be in blue. Actually that game might look good if Denver goes mono blue and KC goes mono red.

I can't see any way that Ravens/Steelers looks good.

The Browns could go all orange against the Bengals.

Nothing about that would look good.

Agreed.

I would think that an all orange Bengals/Browns game would look sick,so I don't want the NFL to know.

This is probably the game Donte Whitner said that the Browns would go solid orange. I think I might skip this game. And I like the Browns new uniforms. Just not solid orange.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

the TNF color vs color move is very smart. i love color vs color games, but regardless of the aesthetic, it is something that makes TNF special - just one more reason to tune in and will be a part of the TNF brand, hopefully, for as long as there are thursday games. the interest in uniforms from the general public has never been higher and it is the right time to take advantage of that in a way that makes these mid week games unique. obviously, the NFL has been very conscious of uniform design since Nike took over the contract, and this is another step forward. it may also be a chance for all teams to adopt an alternate jersey; well before it was what the NFL wanted but now it might be an obligation on the teams.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

the TNF color vs color move is very smart. i love color vs color games, but regardless of the aesthetic, it is something that makes TNF special - just one more reason to tune in and will be a part of the TNF brand, hopefully, for as long as there are thursday games. the interest in uniforms from the general public has never been higher and it is the right time to take advantage of that in a way that makes these mid week games unique. obviously, the NFL has been very conscious of uniform design since Nike took over the contract, and this is another step forward. it may also be a chance for all teams to adopt an alternate jersey; well before it was what the NFL wanted but now it might be an obligation on the teams.

It'll be cool if the teams wear their normal uniforms or a reasonable alternate (like a re-color or a throwback), but if/when teams go with uniforms that are one-off and don't fit in at all with their normal identity then it will suck.

So I'm cool if the Eagles were to play the Packers on TNF and have to wear a gray jersey to avoid clashing with the Packers, but I'm not cool if they come out looking like the Ducks in some wacky-ass get-up that will never see the light of day again.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There are only 256 NFL games per year. There shouldn't need to be another reason to tune in. Frankly, this would be a reason for me to tune out - it will look amateurish (as in teams who can't afford more than one uniform). If there becomes a clash kit, it will look more like college football where I don't know who's playing by looking at the uniforms.

It's where I sit.

In regards to the Dolphins, I felt that their current set's one of the best of the Nike redesigns and I generally like it, but I'm like everyone else in wanting more orange in the set. The throwbacks are also quite nice. I kinda wanna see them do a hybrid of the two now. Like the striping pattern of the throwbacks but with the colors of the current set (with, of course, the emphasis on orange). The logo can go either way, as I think the throwback logo's a bit overly designed for this day and age while the current one's a good logo but a little too corporate-like. But yeah, a combination of the two would easily make a great look.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

There are only 256 NFL games per year. There shouldn't need to be another reason to tune in. Frankly, this would be a reason for me to tune out - it will look amateurish (as in teams who can't afford more than one uniform). If there becomes a clash kit, it will look more like college football where I don't know who's playing by looking at the uniforms.

there's always different reasons to tune into the games. i definitely dont want to see a Jaguars vs Titans game, but the unique uniforms pairing gives me a reason to at least check it out. the NFL also competes with NCAA football and nightly primetime TV shows on thursdays. anything to give them an extra edge is warranted.

as for looking amatuerish and not knowing who is playing, well i think you'll get used to NFL teams wearing colors with time, but there's no way you're not going to know who is playing. as many close ups, name drops, and logo flashes as there are during the game "not knowing who is playing" really isn't a valid knock against it. and as far as we know right now, they're not coming out with 1 game alternates like the Pro Combat series. they're just wearing their home jerseys.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

there's always different reasons to tune into the games. i definitely dont want to see a Jaguars vs Titans game, but the unique uniforms pairing gives me a reason to at least check it out. the NFL also competes with NCAA football and nightly primetime TV shows on thursdays. anything to give them an extra edge is warranted.

as for looking amatuerish and not knowing who is playing, well i think you'll get used to NFL teams wearing colors with time, but there's no way you're not going to know who is playing. as many close ups, name drops, and logo flashes as there are during the game "not knowing who is playing" really isn't a valid knock against it. and as far as we know right now, they're not coming out with 1 game alternates like the Pro Combat series. they're just wearing their home jerseys.

I fully realize I'm being 'Get off my lawn' guy here. You make very valid points, as long as there are no 1-game alternates happening [please please please no].

It's where I sit.

So the Thursday Night Schedule is as follows along with potential uniform match-ups. Keep in mind that the color-on-color is NOT mandatory and this is just pure speculation and what-ifs.

Week 5

Colts @ Texans - I think Houston is saving their Battle Reds for New England in December. If they use them here, it will be absolutely beautiful. If not, oh boy...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Houston-Texans-announce-2015-home-game-themes/10373d40-36f2-406c-a308-cf7f0cedf184

Sat., Aug. 15 San Francisco 49ers 7 p.m. Texans Care

Sat., Aug. 22 Denver Broncos 7 p.m. State of Football presented by Verizon (Also supporting USA Football)

Sun., Sept. 13 Kansas City Chiefs Noon Liberty White Out presented by BHP Billiton

Sun., Sept. 27 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Noon Hispanic Heritage Day

Thurs, Oct. 8 Indianapolis Colts 7:25 p.m. Pink Ribbon Day presented by Kroger

Sun., Nov. 1 Tennessee Titans Noon Deep Steel Sunday presented by Hyundai

Sun., Nov. 22 New York Jets Noon Salute to Service presented by Bud Light

Sun., Nov. 29 New Orleans Saints Noon Homecoming presented by Texas Children’s Hospital (Also celebrating PLAY 60 initiatives)

Sun., Dec. 13 New England Patriots Noon Battle Red Day presented by Halliburton

Sun., Jan. 3 Jacksonville Jaguars Noon Fan Appreciation Day presented by FS Southwest

So how does everybody feel about the prospect of royal blue vs navy, with both teams possibly sporting pink wristbands, shoes, towels, etc.?

So the Thursday Night Schedule is as follows along with potential uniform match-ups. Keep in mind that the color-on-color is NOT mandatory and this is just pure speculation and what-ifs.

Week 5

Colts @ Texans - I think Houston is saving their Battle Reds for New England in December. If they use them here, it will be absolutely beautiful. If not, oh boy...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Houston-Texans-announce-2015-home-game-themes/10373d40-36f2-406c-a308-cf7f0cedf184

Sat., Aug. 22 Denver Broncos 7 p.m. State of Football presented by Verizon (Also supporting USA Football)

Sun., Sept. 13 Kansas City Chiefs Noon Liberty White Out presented by BHP Billiton

Sun., Nov. 29 New Orleans Saints Noon Homecoming presented by Texas Childrens Hospital (Also celebrating PLAY 60 initiatives)

Sun., Jan. 3 Jacksonville Jaguars Noon Fan Appreciation Day presented by FS Southwest

So how does everybody feel about the prospect of royal blue vs navy, with both teams possibly sporting pink wristbands, shoes, towels, etc.?

That's an easy one. It will certainly suck.

Week 5

Sun., Nov. 29 New Orleans Saints Noon Homecoming presented by Texas Children’s Hospital (Also celebrating PLAY 60 initiatives)

i would have to think the Texans would be obligated to wear red for that game (they have the option to wear them twice a year so it could be this Colts game and against NE) or this is where the Colts are forced into an alternate color jersey which they've resisted for a long time. black, or more likely gray, but i wouldnt expect that for another year or two if it happens.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

The old dolphins logo is dated in that it is overly detailed in ways that don't visually improve the logo, but rather jumble/muddle it up.. The '97 update was a very good update to that logo by eliminating the unnecessary sun rays and converting the white blob of highlight to sleek and modern highlighting/shading.. The blotchy and haphazard appearance of the dolphin didn't mesh with the well-detailed helmet and overly detailed sun.. It wasn't a bad logo, but it was certainly dated.. As a dolphins fan myself, I'm happy with the evolution of the logo, even the current version.

I realize its mostly personal preference, but I rarely, if ever, find sports design from the 60's to look "dated". Even if I don't particularly like the design, it isn't because it feels behind the times, To me, the 60's were unarguably the golden age for sports designs... especially for football and baseball. Its when the majority of teams looked their best.

the-nfl-and-you-book-cover-1964.jpg

nfl-logos-1964.jpg

3948185407_1e59d238b9_b.jpg

As far as dated looks go... the MLB of the late 70's and early 80's looks dated now. The NBA of the 90's looks dated now. The NFL of the early 2000's looks dated now.

But the NFL of the 60's? Hell, IMO with 90% of the teams could take their 60's uniform, adjust it to a current jersey cut, and they would look amazing. And the Dolphins' new throwback proves it. Their current uniform isn't really all that bad, but even so the throwback destroys it, by a large margin. Its instantly one of the best uniforms in the current NFL. Maybe the best, since the Falcons' throwback went away.

Mark me down for the miniority: The old Dolphins logo is dated and was never good to begin with.

BAD: a dolphin in a football helmet. If we had an extensive football minor league system, then the Dolphins Class A club, the Fort Meyers Dolphins, would be a good candidate for a dolphin in a helmet.

Outdated: The older versions of the dolphin look like they've gone through about ten photocopiers on their way to the style guide. And the sun. The sun is awful. Pre-1999, the thin little lines? Isn't there something about how a logo should be able to be embroidered on a hat? The 1997 change definitely improved the sun. That dolphin is definitely better-drawn but the attempt to make it look meaner is a step in the wrong direction if you ask me. It's really hard to believe that 1) they made an update for 1989 that was still so poorly drawn and 2) that it took until 1997 to clean that logo up.

There is no doubt in my mind that the sun is much improved now...it looks like a sun whereas the old versions made me think of a hoop (in fact, I did not know it was a sun until I got on the boards). Actually I think some concepts here did an even better job with the sun. But the current logo is definitely improved over the past logos. As for whether the dolphin should have a helmet and be a cartoon, I'll just have to be in the minority. Would a good compromise be current sun, dolphin in former shape but with no helmet or mean look? Is the shape key or is the "campy" a must? If we have to have the cartoon dolphin back, can we at least have the new sun?

Anyhow, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the jersey. And regardless of the logo, these should be the basis of their uniform from the neck down. Also, while it was rarer, I definitely prefer the pants stripe with blue on the outside.

But even if they decided to go with this full look full-time, including all the stuff I hate (campy dolphin and gray mask), they'd have to clean that logo up.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived