NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

I can't see how those Raiders jerseys can possibly be legible from the press box or upper deck.

Since Cleveland has never been to the Super Bowl, do we get a reprieve from the goldapalooza?

The 1994 version of that Raiders throwback was inaccurate. There is suppose to be a thick black outline on the numbers so it's more legible, which they got right in 2009 and it looked absolutely fantastic. If there's one change I would make about the Raiders uniforms, it would be to return to silver numbers on the road. It really pops.

zach-miller.jpg

Thanks for the explanation! That looks signifcantly more readable.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see how those Raiders jerseys can possibly be legible from the press box or upper deck.

Since Cleveland has never been to the Super Bowl, do we get a reprieve from the goldapalooza?

The 1994 version of that Raiders throwback was inaccurate. There is suppose to be a thick black outline on the numbers so it's more legible, which they got right in 2009 and it looked absolutely fantastic. If there's one change I would make about the Raiders uniforms, it would be to return to silver numbers on the road. It really pops.

zach-miller.jpg

Silver numbers are neat but they absolutely do not pop on a white jersey.

I absolutely love everything about how the new Dolphins throwbacks look in the modern cut. They absolutely nailed it.

I got on to NFLshop.com to grab one, but I don't like the retail cut nearly as much. (I'll still probably buy it)

vImFBFU.jpg

It's the elephant in the room of the NFL retail jersey business at the moment. The Dolphins got away with it with their current unis because they went without a sleeve stripe.

Do we need to totally change how retail jerseys are cut? Do we need to offer an inbetween option that simulates an in game style capped sleeve?

If there's one change I would make about the Raiders uniforms, it would be to return to silver numbers on the road. It really pops.

zach-miller.jpg

Silver numbers are neat but they absolutely do not pop on a white jersey.

They absolutely do when you put that black outline around them.

Am I only one that absolutely LOVES when football games are played on the baseball diamond? I hope the Raiders never change that

I think it's an interesting thing, but it's well on it's way to being a thing of the past. The A's or Raiders are going to move sometime within the next 5 years and once that happens, it will never be done again due to the whole idea of seperate stadiums for teams now. It looked cool, but I can't imagine it was cool for the players and the grounds crew.

bSLCtu2.png

I absolutely love everything about how the new Dolphins throwbacks look in the modern cut. They absolutely nailed it.

I got on to NFLshop.com to grab one, but I don't like the retail cut nearly as much. (I'll still probably buy it)

vImFBFU.jpg

It's the elephant in the room of the NFL retail jersey business at the moment. The Dolphins got away with it with their current unis because they went without a sleeve stripe.

Do we need to totally change how retail jerseys are cut? Do we need to offer an inbetween option that simulates an in game style capped sleeve?

The biggest thing at this point is the sleeve length more than the cut. I mean, I don't expect them to make replicas with cap sleeves. However, they can make replicas with sleeves which don't go down to the elbows. Nike was supposed to give a more "athletic" cut on the replicas, but the current replicas have sleeves as long as Reebok's. I think the long, tight sleeves look worse than long, baggy ones. I think they could easily make all replicas' sleeves stop mid-bicep without hurting the graphics or making it too "official" and not a shirt someone would wear whenever.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

zach-miller.jpg

Seems to me they made the black outline thicker and the silver numbers larger than they had ever been before during the 2009 AFL-50 Legacy season.

This photo below is from 1970 when they brought back the silver numbers for that lone season after switching to black numbers on the white away jersey in 1965.

What they looked like in 1963 and 1964 I've never seen a photo of a Raiders road game from either season.

* Look at Jim Otto's helmet, it look terribly outdated even for 1970 standards. I wouldn't be surprised if that was his helmet from 1963 when the Raiders went to silver helmets. That thing is thrashed!!

jim_otto_1970_12_06.jpg

Good post Gothamite.

I like the one worn in 1994 with the silver numbers best. The 1964 and 2009 versions just seem to be an overkill of the black outline IMO.

In these times of HD, UHD, and coming very soon 'SUHD', I have a hard time fathoming they would be hard on the eyes to detect, but I'm not sure about how legible they'd be from the press box or upper deck as was mentioned above. Either way, they sure look better with the silver numbers on the white jerseys.

12221403693_9bf26a505e_o.png

The funny thing about that Raiders uniform is that it was worn only twice in the 1963 AFL Season. They switched to silver sleeve numbers and black front numbers halfway into that season. The pic Gothamite posted is from 1964 where they used silver numbers the whole season but had the current Raiders logo. Gotta love how nobody cared much about aesthetics back in the old days. It really lead to weird things.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived