NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the field number font was specified by the NFL so that something like this couldn'thappen

Based on this from the 2014 NFL Rule Book, that isn't the case.

SECTION 2 MARKINGS
LINE MARKINGS. At intervals of 5 yards, yard lines (3-12-9) parallel to the goal lines shall be marked in the field of play.
These lines are to stop 8 inches short of the 6-foot solid border. The 4-inch wide yard lines are to be extended 4 inches
beyond the white 6-foot border along the sidelines. Each of these lines shall be intersected at right angles by short lines 70
feet, 9 inches long (23 yards, 1 foot, 9 inches) in from each side to indicate inbound lines.
INBOUND LINES. In line with the Inbound Lines there shall be marks at 1-yard intervals between each distance of 5 yards for
the full length of the field. These lines are to begin 8 inches from the 6-foot solid border and are to measure 2 feet in length.
Bottoms of numbers indicating yard lines in multiples of 10 must be placed beginning 12 yards in from each sideline. These
are to be 2 yards in length.
Two yards from the middle of each goal line and parallel to it, there shall be marked in the Field of Play, lines 1 yard in length.
All boundary lines, goal lines, and marked lines are to be continuous lines. These, and any other specified markings, must be
in white, and there shall be no exceptions without the authorization of the Commissioner. Field numerals must also be white.
Care must be exercised in any end-zone marking or decoration or club identification at the 50-yard line that said marking or
decorations do not in any way cause confusion as to delineation of goal lines, sidelines, and end lines. Such markings or
decorations must be approved by the Commissioner.
The four intersections of goal lines and sidelines must be marked, at inside corners, by weighted pylons. In addition, two such
pylons shall be placed on each end line (four in all).

It's where I sit.

Dolphins-12_rectangle_1600.jpg?

Notice how the swoosh is pushed up over the seams here. Why can't the Steelers do this?
I was thinking the same thing. This proves that Nike could fit any stripes on their template if they just move up the swoosh

Great amount/thickness of orange. The new uniforms should at least take a page from these and thicken up the orange outlines/stripes.

455443330.0.jpg

I'm a life-long Dolphins fan who has had an hard time embracing our new uniforms and logo. Just as I was beginning to come around to the new look, these throw backs are introduced and I am back to square one. The regular uniforms just don't hold a candle to the old look. :(

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Dolphins-12_rectangle_1600.jpg?

Notice how the swoosh is pushed up over the seams here. Why can't the Steelers do this?
I was thinking the same thing. This proves that Nike could fit any stripes on their template if they just move up the swoosh
Great amount/thickness of orange. The new uniforms should at least take a page from these and thicken up the orange outlines/stripes.

455443330.0.jpg

I'm a life-long Dolphins fan who has had an hard time embracing our new uniforms and logo. Just as I was beginning to come around to the new look, these throw backs are introduced and I am back to square one. The regular uniforms are too bland. :(

I actually really like the uniforms a lot more than the old ones. On one hand, I am glad they are emphasizing aqua more in the uni as far as the stripes go but it came at the expense of orange and i love the new orange/colors

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I really, really like the game cut capped sleeved Dolphins throwbacks, but they aren't as good in a retail cut long sleeve.

I'd go as far as saying the game cut throwbacks are the best the Dolphins have looked in their entire history. I'll be playing every game in Madden using the throwbacks :)

The only thing the Dolphins need to do is change the navy(ish?) outline around the numbers and on the helmet to orange so that its twice as thick as it is now. I'm not sure how to change the logo to reflect that change, though. (No, don't bring back the helmeted dolphin jumping through the hoop/sun)

Holy **** ! Someone else names Williams is wearing 34 for the Dolphins?

The old uniforms remind me of football. The new uniforms remind me of a sterile environment where things need to be kept clean. Like an OR.

LOL that made me do a double take too. but that's Damien Williams. been in the league a couple of years i think.

also, good analogy about the uniforms. the new design definitely lacks "toughness"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Vikings changed the yardage numbers on the field at TCF Bank Stadium to match their uniform font:

https://vine.co/v/epA9uBIrOaK(apologies for the Vine, can't find any images out there yet)

Do any other teams do this?

L0DGhtX.png

What I want to know is, if they're sharing the stadium with the Minnesota Golden Gophers, why on earth would they go as far as to change the numbers on the field? Wouldn't that be more work for the grounds crew?

That could be just for the preseason.
The numbers are placed at different places on the lines so it's the same amount of work scrubbing them off between games.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Vikings changed the yardage numbers on the field at TCF Bank Stadium to match their uniform font:

https://vine.co/v/epA9uBIrOaK(apologies for the Vine, can't find any images out there yet)

Do any other teams do this?

L0DGhtX.png

What I want to know is, if they're sharing the stadium with the Minnesota Golden Gophers, why on earth would they go as far as to change the numbers on the field? Wouldn't that be more work for the grounds crew?

Why not? If you have the ability to do something that looks great to the fullest extent, then go for it. Just because using a generic stencil is easier doesn't mean they should do it.

I realized that the cardinals and falcons are coming up on about 12 years with their current unis and I dont think any jersey has ever overstayed its welcome more than those two

Those two, along with the Rams, have the most tired looks in football. Hopefully the Rams will be changing given all of the rumors, but there haven't been any winds of change from Atlanta or Arizona. Maybe the Falcons change with their new stadium.

Given the discussion on the Vikings/Gophers switching field markings, here's the stadium crew clearing the numbers off after the Viking's game two days ago. You can see the Norseman logo has been washed off already. The only permanent lines are the 5-yard lines across the field, the borders, and MINNESOTA in the endzones, colored yellow. (They paint it over with purple for the Vikings, except for the final game last season when I guess they just couldn't be bothered).

9GTwGzZ.jpg

Found another one from last year.

DaRog5y.jpg

Archived