NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because people still pay $$$$ for LeBron.

He's probably worn the most different combo jerseys than anyone else in the NBA ... throwbacks, fan jerseys, Hispanic Nights, nickname on the backs, alternates, homes, aways, etc., etc. etc. LeBron = $$$$$
So true...btw..So next year we now have

76ers, Rockets (?) Bucks, Raptors, Cavs and ??? Who did i forget?

Raptors and Bucks certainly. I think Atlanta as well. I am uncertain on the rumours for the Sixers, Rockets and Clippers, and whether those are for next season or 2016-17.

Sixers are confermed, and clippers are just about right?

I don't think the Cavs will be getting a new set next season. Where did all this talk come from?

agreed. i'd say the Cavs will just have a new alt uni and maybe a new "fauxback" CavFanatic or somethin like that.

they could probably even stretch it to an alt uni, Pride uni, actual throwback and a fauxback to make that Bron-money multiplied times 4.

I don't think the Cavs will be getting a new set next season. Where did all this talk come from?

agreed. i'd say the Cavs will just have a new alt uni and maybe a new "fauxback" CavFanatic or somethin like that.

they could probably even stretch it to an alt uni, Pride uni, actual throwback and a fauxback to make that Bron-money multiplied times 4.

Exactly. I mean they will get a Christmas jersey with will technically be "new" but no one will they get a complete new set.

Jaguars

Can we say 90s throwback? ;)

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Does the NBA spread merchandise sales across all its franchises the way the NFL (outside of I think the Cowboys) does, or do teams keep merch $ from sales of their own stuff?

If the former, I think I can see how and why the NBA would allow the Cavaliers to wear about 30 different uniforms during the course of a season. (Much the same as when LeBron was on the Heat.) Doesn't really help maintain brand integrity--but then, when has anyone or any entity whose primary goal is/was $ really cared about integrity, anyway? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Does the NBA spread merchandise sales across all its franchises the way the NFL (outside of I think the Cowboys) does, or do teams keep merch $ from sales of their own stuff?

If the former, I think I can see how and why the NBA would allow the Cavaliers to wear about 30 different uniforms during the course of a season. (Much the same as when LeBron was on the Heat.) Doesn't really help maintain brand integrity--but then, when has anyone or any entity whose primary goal is/was $ really cared about integrity, anyway? :P

NBA and brand integrity are no longer related. See: sleeved jerseys.

sig.png

Sleeved jerseys aren't what killed brand integrity--all that did was change the shape of the canvas. It probably happened well before that, with the first iterations of CavFanatic alternates. Whatever that didn't kill, the various "Pride" jerseys and other one-offs most likely did.

(The NBA has a serious image problem that way, IMO. But if it generates revenue....)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Sleeved jerseys aren't what killed brand integrity--all that did was change the shape of the canvas. It probably happened well before that, with the first iterations of CavFanatic alternates. Whatever that didn't kill, the various "Pride" jerseys and other one-offs most likely did.

(The NBA has a serious image problem that way, IMO. But if it generates revenue....)

They were definitely a nail in the coffin of brand integrity though. You're right, those pride jerseys were a bigger factor.

sig.png

New Clips alt logo?

CBtzJiPUAAAXq5n.jpg

This is from their 2015 Playoffs marketing scheme.

Very interesting "LA" script. ..cool though

Interesting? It's just the same, basic font (Gotham?) used for "WE ARE".

Nothing there is used for the new identity.

So the baseball-style scripts aren't surviving the identity change? First of all, I'm disappointed if true, because it was a distinctive but classic look. Second of all, that pretty much guarantees new uniforms, right?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Let's be honest, they don't wear anything but the navys anymore.

They didn't wear the navys at all between opening night and February, did they?

Nope, but that was a decision made for retail reasons.

The navy alts were a late addition to the Cavs' uniform options. They were unveiled a week or so before the season started, but they didn't hit retail until mid-February. After the team wore them on opening night, they held off on wearing them again until fans could buy them in the team shop. They're definitely making up for lost time now.

Archived