NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the wine and gold options of the current set look great. The navy doesnt work at all for me, especially compared to the last navy uni that LeBron loved so much. But that's probably because of where I fall on the outline/no outline debate.

They kind of need to blow it up if navy is going to get such a major promotion in the second James era, because that current alt just muddies up the simplified look that replaced the first LeBron unis.

I generally don't post as you can see, I use this place as a news service on uniforms. But I continually see hate for the Cavs current uniforms, and don't understand why. I honestly think the Wine and Gold jersey is one of the best in the league. I couldn't give a flying about LeBron wearing them, they are just simple and beautiful.

Everyone has love for classic unis like Boston & Chicago but hate Cleveland's set?? Boston & Chicago are plain and boring, but everyone would lose their bit if they were changed, but the designs are basically the same.

For me, Cleveland don't have a great uniform history, a lot of dodgy/weird designs and colour combinations. I think the current sets should be kept, the colours are unique and work well together. I don't mind seeing throwbacks, but the colours need to stay, and so should the simple designs.

Now I assume everyone's going to think I'm some Cleveland bandwagon type, I'm not. I've been a Charlotte fan since the mid 90's. Which means I was also a Bobcats fan for all 10 seasons. I know everyone had hate for their unis too, they weren't the best, but there were always worse unis than the Bobcats no matter what they were wearing.

I think the wine and gold options of the current set look great. The navy doesnt work at all for me, especially compared to the last navy uni that LeBron loved so much. But that's probably because of where I fall on the outline/no outline debate.

They kind of need to blow it up if navy is going to get such a major promotion in the second James era, because that current alt just muddies up the simplified look that replaced the first LeBron unis.

I agree with you, and I hate the current set. I think all the current uniforms border on suck and bland, but would be greatly improved by adding outlines and using all colors. Anyway, it doesn't make sense for them to be "We're only red and yellow! Red and yellow for life!" and then have a blue jersey out of nowhere. Blue doesn't appear anywhere else in their set (other than a logo accent), and it shouldn't be the main color of a regular alternate jersey.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I generally don't post as you can see, I use this place as a news service on uniforms. But I continually see hate for the Cavs current uniforms, and don't understand why. I honestly think the Wine and Gold jersey is one of the best in the league. I couldn't give a flying about LeBron wearing them, they are just simple and beautiful.

Everyone has love for classic unis like Boston & Chicago but hate Cleveland's set?? Boston & Chicago are plain and boring, but everyone would lose their bit if they were changed, but the designs are basically the same.

For me, Cleveland don't have a great uniform history, a lot of dodgy/weird designs and colour combinations. I think the current sets should be kept, the colours are unique and work well together. I don't mind seeing throwbacks, but the colours need to stay, and so should the simple designs.

Now I assume everyone's going to think I'm some Cleveland bandwagon type, I'm not. I've been a Charlotte fan since the mid 90's. Which means I was also a Bobcats fan for all 10 seasons. I know everyone had hate for their unis too, they weren't the best, but there were always worse unis than the Bobcats no matter what they were wearing.

So you love Cleveland's uniforms, but you think the Bulls' are plain and boring? The Bulls' unis feature three colors used consistently on all uniforms (although the new black unis messed that up slightly) and have a unique and complicated pattern on the shorts. Meanwhile, the Cavaliers don't even have freaking outlines, have red and yellow jerseys which look so overly bland that they might have been used in the original Teen Wolf, and have essentially the same shorts striping as the Celtics, minus the vertical stripe. I mean, if you like the Cavaliers' unis, that's fine. But I don't know how you can say they're great and the Bulls' are boring when the Bulls have a more complex, interesting design and use more colors.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So you love Cleveland's uniforms, but you think the Bulls' are plain and boring? The Bulls' unis feature three colors used consistently on all uniforms (although the new black unis messed that up slightly) and have a unique and complicated pattern on the shorts. Meanwhile, the Cavaliers don't even have freaking outlines, have red and yellow jerseys which look so overly bland that they might have been used in the original Teen Wolf, and have essentially the same shorts striping as the Celtics, minus the vertical stripe. I mean, if you like the Cavaliers' unis, that's fine. But I don't know how you can say they're great and the Bulls' are boring when the Bulls have a more complex, interesting design and use more colors.

Alright, perhaps I worded that wrong. I love both Chicago and Bostons unis, I was merely pointing out that the 3 sets are very similar in their simplistic designs, yet no one hates on them, but hate Cleveland's. To me, that doesn't make sense, I assume because their unis have 'history' and the Cavs don't. Also Boston only use two colours and don't have outlines. I don't agree with Cleveland having so many variations, the navy kit is unnecessary and is just a money grab. I like the Cavs shorts, I don't like the logo though..

Alright, perhaps I worded that wrong. I love both Chicago and Bostons unis, I was merely pointing out that the 3 sets are very similar in their simplistic designs, yet no one hates on them, but hate Cleveland's. To me, that doesn't make sense, I assume because their unis have 'history' and the Cavs don't. Also Boston only use two colours and don't have outlines. I don't agree with Cleveland having so many variations, the navy kit is unnecessary and is just a money grab. I like the Cavs shorts, I don't like the logo though..

One of the main reasons aside from. No outlines blandness etc. .

Comic Sans!!! That sums up as universally hated font on these boards. The disdain when they came out was astronomical!

Celtics unis are timeless classics. Chicago has a complete beautiful set.

But Brooklyn is predominantly hated the same as the Cavs..pure blandness at its best with such a great identity.

shado_logo.gif

I agree with you, and I hate the current set. I think all the current uniforms border on suck and bland, but would be greatly improved by adding outlines and using all colors. Anyway, it doesn't make sense for them to be "We're only red and yellow! Red and yellow for life!" and then have a blue jersey out of nowhere. Blue doesn't appear anywhere else in their set (other than a logo accent), and it shouldn't be the main color of a regular alternate jersey.

It's not just an accent, it's actually used more prominently than yellow in their logo. As a result, it makes sense that they'd have a navy uniform - in fact, what doesn't make sense is the lack of navy in their other uniforms.

That being said, the whole set is a bland and derivative mess. I'm pretty sure it was Admiral who said when the set was unveiled that aesthetically, it looked like the franchise was giving up and receding into the background since LeBron left - and it rings true. The uniforms from LeBron's first stint with the team looked professional and appropriate for the NBA. What they're wearing now looks like a high school program being run on the cheap.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Comic Sans!!! That sums up as universally hated font on these boards. The disdain when they came out was astronomical!

But Brooklyn is predominantly hated the same as the Cavs..pure blandness at its best with such a great identity.

Comic sans is not used anywhere on the Cavaliers uniforms or any of its other branding properties. Literally, the only time comic sans and the Cavs have been linked was Dan Gilbert's infamous letter when LeBron left in 2010. There are a lot of things I don't like about the Cavs' branding these days, but to continually knock them for using comic sans is silly and misguided at this point.

Comic sans is not used anywhere on the Cavaliers uniforms or any of its other branding properties. Literally, the only time comic sans and the Cavs have been linked was Dan Gilbert's infamous letter when LeBron left in 2010. There are a lot of things I don't like about the Cavs' branding these days, but to continually knock them for using comic sans is silly and misguided at this point.

To add another to your list, the Sixers took a very conservative route and got a lot of hate for it. I think it's a tradeoff. People don't want the Yankees to ever change anything. Ok, the look is 'classic', but also incredibly boring. And I completely disagree when people put it into the best-looking uniforms category because it is absolutely not that.

I think teams should update over time. I think Golden State is the perfect example. Their older designs were similar, but they upgraded and now their home/away set are (in my opinion) the best of the 4 major sports right now. Those things are like a Victoria's Secret model, I can't stop lookin'. Meanwhile Boston is kinda like "Oh you're still here? That's nice..."

It's not just an accent, it's actually used more prominently than yellow in their logo. As a result, it makes sense that they'd have a navy uniform - in fact, what doesn't make sense is the lack of navy in their other uniforms.

That being said, the whole set is a bland and derivative mess. I'm pretty sure it was Admiral who said when the set was unveiled that aesthetically, it looked like the franchise was giving up and receding into the background since LeBron left - and it rings true. The uniforms from LeBron's first stint with the team looked professional and appropriate for the NBA. What they're wearing now looks like a high school program being run on the cheap.

First off, it looks like a high school from the '80s. If you look at any high school today, it's likely going to be in some Nike or Adidas proprietary crap with randomly colored panels. Today's high school teams look more like the Clippers. But the reason the Cavs' uniforms look like that is because of the bad way they use color. Everything should have an outline. Period. "Our colors are wine (red) and gold (yellow) and we only use white because they make us!" is bull. Having a white outline on the red jersey and a yellow outline on the white jersey would go a long, long way. Also, the cuff pattern would be perfectly fine if they did something other than just alternating five red and yellow stripes. Throw some white in the stripes, or even navy, and these are improved greatly. The Cavs were wise to go to an actual classic basketball template with a full collar and full trim around the arms, as well as a patterned waistband, but they squandered that good will with everything else.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Didn't the Cavs use Comic Sans on a court design?

new_court_061012_600.jpg

smallcourt3_061012_600.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

To add another to your list, the Sixers took a very conservative route and got a lot of hate for it. I think it's a tradeoff. People don't want the Yankees to ever change anything. Ok, the look is 'classic', but also incredibly boring. And I completely disagree when people put it into the best-looking uniforms category because it is absolutely not that.

I think teams should update over time. I think Golden State is the perfect example. Their older designs were similar, but they upgraded and now their home/away set are (in my opinion) the best of the 4 major sports right now. Those things are like a Victoria's Secret model, I can't stop lookin'. Meanwhile Boston is kinda like "Oh you're still here? That's nice..."

Couldn't have agreed more!!!

Even the mighty Lakers updated in 1999-00 season and it was refreshing. Sure their old unis were classic but starting to get dated.

2) my bad on the comic sans of the jerseys. Still they had it on the court, marketing. .everything! Their jersey font is still bland. No identity at all.

shado_logo.gif

I disagree. Sometimes you have a look that needs to be updated, and sometimes you don't. Change for the sake of change is just as bad as not changing when you probably should.

I disagree. Sometimes you have a look that needs to be updated, and sometimes you don't. Change for the sake of change is just as bad as not changing when you probably should.

I definitely see your point. But my view is that, we don't know that until a team tries it. Like Shadojoker said, I'm sure in the 90's people were asking why the Lakers would mess with a good thing. But now their current set looks great. The Celtics could upgrade to something fantastic, but we won't know because people don't want them to.

Absolutely. Furthermore, I want to love Golden State's set, but there's just so much that's so bad. It's still got a wishbone collar. The color balance is atrocious. The shorts with the "bridge" try too hard to be cute and end up looking horrible. The only redeeming quality of their set is the great color scheme.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Absolutely. Furthermore, I want to love Golden State's set, but there's just so much that's so bad. It's still got a wishbone collar. The color balance is atrocious. The shorts with the "bridge" try too hard to be cute and end up looking horrible. The only redeeming quality of their set is the great color scheme.

And Copperplate. You can't forget the Copperplate. (As part of the bad, not the redeeming qualities.)

And Copperplate. You can't forget the Copperplate. (As part of the bad, not the redeeming qualities.)

Absolutely. I LOVE the idea of their set. But I hate the execution.

Archived