NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Inside the Alamodome feels like a giant tomb. I don't think I've been to a more depressing stadium in my life. The outside looks cool and it's in a prime location.but inside? No. It would need a ton of renovation to be considered for an NFL team.

Not if it were just a temporary home while a new stadium was being built.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inside the Alamodome feels like a giant tomb. I don't think I've been to a more depressing stadium in my life.

dE9cstO.jpg

I was just about to post this... the Jones Dome is slowly feeling like a tomb with all the LA relocation talk. Just rip the roof off and be done with it.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

were the "black hole" fans that dress up like the Road Warriors present in LA like in Oakland? I can't see any type of atmosphere like that being cultivated in San Antonio.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe I'm off-base here, but I really don't think a relocation decision is going to be based on how well it fits the renegade identity of the team. Now, the ownership may still have a renegade mentality and that might caused them to make a weird decision. But they won't make the weird decision because it seems like Raiders thing to do.

Were the "black hole" fans that dress up like the Road Warriors present in LA like in Oakland?

The "black hole" is a meta-reference for Raider super-fans in each of the end-zone seats, ready to amp up the team. I think there wasn't that much of a black hole-y presence in LA because the end-zone seats there were gapped by the track-and-field the Coliseum had at the time.

Maybe I'm off-base here, but I really don't think a relocation decision is going to be based on how well it fits the renegade identity of the team. Now, the ownership may still have a renegade mentality and that might caused them to make a weird decision. But they won't make the weird decision because it seems like Raiders thing to do.

I don't think that's *the* reason they'd move, just a perk if they did. The lack of available public funding in Oakland, however, would probably do it.

Magic johnson has no say on a team coming to LA you can pretty much take anything he says that's NFL related to be a false hope.

Unless Mark Davis sells the Raiders to him, which would be interesting but it seems unlikely.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

So the original article is on Yahoo, and it addresses wonderbread's point:

"Johnson isn't the normal former basketball player opining on the state of an NFL team coming to Los Angeles. He's a huge part of the Los Angeles business community, and was part of the ownership group that bought MLB's Los Angeles Dodgers. When he talks about the business community and city being on board, he's probably not guessing."

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/magic-johnson-believes-los-angeles-will-get-nfl-team-in-next-two-years-030735802.html

Although "probably not guessing" doesn't exactly rule out "false hope." :)

EDIT: This is all because the Spurs won't let the Raiders come to San Antonio.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-would-want-control-should-NFL-team-relocate-5681374.php?t=bfd85168dc#/0

Because *they* have a say. :rolleyes:

According to Adam Schefter, 3 teams are in play to relocate to Los Angeles. Those teams are:

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

St. Louis Rams

Not breaking any ground here. That's three of the five teams in the NFL which don't have solid stadium situations (because the Dolphins aren't moving). The only other teams which are even potentially in the running are the Jaguars and Bills, and it looks like the Khan wants to give it a go in Jacksonville and NFL is going to find someone to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Is it safe to say that the Raiders won't be playing in the Bay Area in the next 5 years? It's looking more likely with each passing day.

Also, paywalls are self-defeating.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Is it safe to say that the Raiders won't be playing in the Bay Area in the next 5 years? It's looking more likely with each passing day.

Also, paywalls are self-defeating.

Seems all they did was:

1-Paid $15K to start up a relationship with a California-based sports-sales and advisory firm, which in 2011 studied the feasibility of pro sports in San Antonio.

2-Picked up Mark Davis at the Grand Hyatt and took him to Ruth's Chris for dinner. The city paid for the meal, but the Chamber of Commerce paid for the booze since the city cannot.

3-City stadium guy emailed the advisory firm and shared a spreadsheet with estimates to improve the Alamodome

Archived