Detroit Pistons Rebrand (Jersey Set)

hettinger_rl

The city of Detroit in in the process of re-building. They are attracting a youthful and creative crowd (the makers). I think the Pistons should use this re-building as an opportunity to re-imagine their brand. Take some of the old identity, some of the old Detroit, a portion of auto-mania, and mix vigorously.

I am putting together a logo set that will incorporate these thoughts, inspired by the art, culture, attitude, and industry of Detroit.

So far I'm in the beginning stages, but here is a taste:

1okm4z.jpg

Let me know what you think about the direction.

Also, horse or pegasus?

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the horse. I like the D. I like the idea of the shield. I don't like them all put together, though. It's just too many elements in one logo. Plus the basketball lines are overpowering a lot of other things.

I would separate the elements out and work on each one separately. Don't jumble them all together into one logo, but still make one cohesive package of logos with a similar look and feel. And don't have the basketball lines be so prominent; either go subtle with them or β€” and I know it would be a shock for an NBA team β€” go without them.

Any thoughts about adding wings on the horse?

I think that would be unnecessary. I love the look of the horse now in that sort of Mustang/chrome-car-logo esthetic, and wings would just clutter things up.

What if you changed the arrangement and made it look even more like a hood ornament? remove the shield and add a base at the bottom of the horse?

I agree that wings would be a bit overpowering here. Also I have a pegasus logo in the works, so I'd feel like I was stealing your thunder ;)

Here's an image I found to hopefully illustrate what I was talking about with adding a base:

7e170417846075c0b11f1fcfff911bc4.jpg

I've always liked the use of "horsepower" for the Pistons (my all time favorite Pistons logo is in my sig).

I was thinking of the hood ornament/pegasus approach, too.

What if you somehow included the grille of a classic car, but make the grille pattern look like the lines on a basketball?

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

I've always liked the use of "horsepower" for the Pistons (my all time favorite Pistons logo is in my sig).

What if you somehow included the grille of a classic car, but make the grille pattern look like the lines on a basketball?

Me too. Hated the teal color scheme, but that logo looked phenomenal in RWB. Logo set now sucks big time.

sig.png

The city of Detroit in in the process of re-building. They are attracting a youthful and creative crowd (the makers). I think the Pistons should use this re-building as an opportunity to re-imagine their brand. Take some of the old identity, some of the old Detroit, a portion of auto-mania, and mix vigorously.

I am putting together a logo set that will incorporate these thoughts, inspired by the art, culture, attitude, and industry of Detroit.

So far I'm in the beginning stages, but here is a taste:

1okm4z.jpg

Let me know what you think about the direction.

Also, horse or pegasus?

No one outside the Dribbbleverse knows this, but for about the past two years I've been working up my own version of a revamped Pistons identity which is also set around retro - automotive imagery. Seeing this tells me I might need to really get on the ball about getting that done... :P

I like the direction you're going in here. That said, like others mentioned you may have just a tad bit too much going on here, at least as a primary logo. Keep chipping away at it, though.

(That's really all I got at the present...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||

Me too. Hated the teal color scheme, but that logo looked phenomenal in RWB. Logo set now sucks big time.

Exactly. Teal was an idea beyond horrible, but, somehow that joke of a rebrand managed to get the logo right once it was given proper colors.

I actually just noticed that the recolored horse logo ties all the other Detroit reams together: Tigers navy, light blue reminiscent to the the Lions, and red for the Wings. I doubt it was intentional, but an interesting coincidence, nonetheless.

The "D" in the "P" alternate they have now is somewhat passable, but the flaming tailpipe "DP" and word mark-free horsehead secondaries of a few years ago were way better. Otherwise, yeah, the current logo is a sadly vanilla logo, but I see why that's the route they went.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

I absolutely love the direction you're going with this. I would, however, agree that it's probably got a bit too much going on for a primary logo. I think it would look better it the basketball pattern stayed out of it. For the most part, I think logos that don't have the image of the sport it's from look better than those that do. I think what suplauren said might be interesting, if you tried to make it look like a hood ornament, if not as a primary, then a secondary logo. But I love the auto industry feel, this is absolutely off to a promising start!

Thanks for all the comments, I'm going to be getting a color version up soon. This is not intended as the primary it would be a secondary. The other logos will be posted periodically. This project may take some time, as I have some other artistic and professional obligations coming up. In short.... stay tuned!

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Nice seeing some first rate, hand drawn, stuff on these boards. I don't mind the basketball pattern at all, what's bothering me is the striped pattern below. I just think it takes away from "D" mark with the dual bolts (which looks great). Nice work though, hoping to see more!

Archived