Changes that were GOOD

hockey week

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard before that the fabric was changed back to the old fabric when they figured out the sweat-wicking material deposited all the sweat in the players' gloves. However, you can see distinctively that there are a few different fabrics in use on the jerseys on the front, back, and shoulders. Were all of those fabrics used in the past?

are you sure there are very different fabrics? i've got an authentic stars jersey, not one of those indo-edge authentics, either... and the entire sweater is made of the same exact material as my 2005 authentic CCM stars jersey. i thought the speciality fabrics went by the wayside in the past few years. maybe it's on a team by team basis now? i've seen the some authentic black DALLAS sweaters that had different mesh on the front and back... but all the victory green i've seen was your standard CCM mesh all around.

no... the cut is just about the only thing that stayed the same since the introduction of the EDGE system, unless me and you have different definitions of "cut."

the way the fabric is cut and shaped and stitched together has remained the same. the fabric returned to CCM-style fabric, and a lot of the players started wearing much baggier sweaters to better mimic the original "cut," but the duck-tail, collar-triangle, side-panel seems, and "western style" yokes for teams like calgary and dallas... that's the cut, and none of those were around for CCM/KOHO.

What I mean is that the slimmer fits have gone by the wayside. On-ice sweaters are, on the whole, just as baggy now as they were prior to the EDGE intro.

you're absolutely right, there. some guys seem to prefer the tighter fit still, but there are a ton of guys wearing huge sweaters now. no complaints from me.

This:

1120_MAIN.jpg

To this:

nl-central-champs.tx.jpg

You're not going to get very many people agreeing with you on this board.

I've heard before that the fabric was changed back to the old fabric when they figured out the sweat-wicking material deposited all the sweat in the players' gloves. However, you can see distinctively that there are a few different fabrics in use on the jerseys on the front, back, and shoulders. Were all of those fabrics used in the past?

are you sure there are very different fabrics? i've got an authentic stars jersey, not one of those indo-edge authentics, either... and the entire sweater is made of the same exact material as my 2005 authentic CCM stars jersey. i thought the speciality fabrics went by the wayside in the past few years. maybe it's on a team by team basis now? i've seen the some authentic black DALLAS sweaters that had different mesh on the front and back... but all the victory green i've seen was your standard CCM mesh all around.

I believe so. At least with the Blackhawks, the side panels are a different material or at least a different knit texture than the front and back. Also, I'm pretty sure the back of the jersey is thinner or something. I remember the white jerseys being slightly more "see-through" than the front of the jersey. I'll have to look for pictures later.

Also, I'm not sure I've seen any of the last-gen CCM jerseys. Was the fabric pretty much like on the '90s authentics? I have a Nike Blackhawks authentic, and the material seems like a pretty standard football/hockey/basketball material of that era.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

no... the cut is just about the only thing that stayed the same since the introduction of the EDGE system, unless me and you have different definitions of "cut."

the way the fabric is cut and shaped and stitched together has remained the same. the fabric returned to CCM-style fabric, and a lot of the players started wearing much baggier sweaters to better mimic the original "cut," but the duck-tail, collar-triangle, side-panel seems, and "western style" yokes for teams like calgary and dallas... that's the cut, and none of those were around for CCM/KOHO.

but more on topic, when the washington capitals switched their socks "upside down" a few years into the new look, that was a huge upgrade. took away the capris pants look, and gave them a real hockey look.

Yeah, sure it gave them a real hockey look, from the waist down. The Regular home and away are awful. They look like racing jerseys without all the adds. The backside is literally just numbers and a name on a red or white jersey. Then the front is really crowded. They have the piping, the sleeve length of color, the side paneling, and the weagle.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Rearrange the order of those colors... make light blue the primary, yellow the secondary, and navy the tertiary, and you might have something. At least it would be original, instead of MLB's 85th navy blue team.

If you look at the all star game hats (or any list of every teams hat for that matter) the A's always stand out because they're the only non-Black/Red/Blue(Navy or Royal) team.

Rockies should own purple more with black as the secondary.

DBacks should be Purple and Teal again.

The Devil Rays should either go back to the old colors or, as you said make powder blue the primary, it's still blue but a shade no one else uses.

And as much as I'm against brown for the Padres, cause I think it's ugly, if they went back to that at least they'd be different.

Indians_Rays_Baseball__ctnews@chroniclet

IMO that's the best the Rays have ever looked. The Navy and Columbia blue mesh so well together and it would be even better if they used the Columbia blue more. I also wouldn't mind the gold being used a little bit as well.

Bringing the pin stripes back is probably the best decision Orlando has made regarding their uniforms. I never liked the predecessors. They were too plain and devoid of any personality that the Magic jerseys had until that point. The only think I'd change about the current sets is incorporating the star collar from the plain set. I'd also add stars to the bottom of the shorts (one on each side) as a nod to their originals.

This:1120_MAIN.jpg

To this:

nl-central-champs.tx.jpg

Well, he's got me at least. The Brewers look the best they've ever looked right now in my opinion.

Agreed. There are some changes they could make to improve their current uniforms (drop extra navy shadow, put Milwaukee on the road jersey, replace the sleeve patch with Beer Barrel Man) but as is, they're still the Brew Crew's best look by a mile.

This:

To this:

Well, he's got me at least. The Brewers look the best they've ever looked right now in my opinion.

Agreed. There are some changes they could make to improve their current uniforms (drop extra navy shadow, put Milwaukee on the road jersey, replace the sleeve patch with Beer Barrel Man) but as is, they're still the Brew Crew's best look by a mile.

When I first joined the boards, I was stunned by how well-like the current Brewer look was. This was a popular opinion. Some wanted the BiG back and there was a contingent who liked the "Germanic" look (I am a part of that group) but overall these Brewer uniforms were quite popular (by my observation, anyway). I don't sense that popularity anymore. I wonder if they are just not aging well in general, even for those that like them.

I hate 'em. I hate to short outline. I hate the number font. I hate the drop shadow. I hate the wheat underline on the "M". I get that the BiG logo looks very much like the era in which it was created and I get that there is no appetite to bring back the largely forgotten Germanic look. But I hope they have a pretty big change soon.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

What I mean is that the slimmer fits have gone by the wayside. On-ice sweaters are, on the whole, just as baggy now as they were prior to the EDGE intro.

I think that's just the players choosing to wear larger jerseys. I think when the EDGE came about they were told to wear them tighter.

I remember being at the draft in 2007 when Jody Shelley and Dan Fritsche modeled the new Blue Jackets uniform and both guys were wearing super tight jerseys. That wasn't just the materials. That was tailoring.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I know this is the wrong place for this, so please forgive me. I am new to this sight, but am an avid logo fan and armchair designer. I have a logo question maybe someone can help me with. I know there is a term for a certain types of logos that follow a pattern (for instance a roundel). Is there a name for the same pattern many NBA teams use. Teams like the Cleveland Cavaliers, Denver Nuggets, Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Pelicans, Minnesota Timberwolves, Dallas Mavericks, Utah Jazz and new Bucks jerseys all seem to be following the same pattern. A wordmark with a logo that will be used as an alternate logo. These vary based on emphasis of the logo but all seem to follow the same pattern. Ones that have a more stand alone logo ( Bucks, Twolves) emphasize that more, and ones that have a lesser stand alone loge ( Cavs, Nuggets) emphasize the font more. Just curious if this type of main or almost presentation logo is repeated often. Just wondering if it had a specific name.

Archived