NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Oh like we didn't know already. Helen Keller knew this would be the outcome, and she's been dead for decades....

tigercatssignature-1.png

That was my reaction when someone posted that article in another thread. The columnist used that centennial argument a couple of times in there, as if having an NHL team has any relevance at all to the state having a successful 100 years.

I think it makes sense, after all when one thinks of Arizona, everyone's first thought is hockey... :mojoto:

tigercatssignature-1.png

That was my reaction when someone posted that article in another thread. The columnist used that centennial argument a couple of times in there, as if having an NHL team has any relevance at all to the state having a successful 100 years.

I think it makes sense, after all when one thinks of Arizona, everyone's first thought is hockey... :mojoto:

Not me. When I think of Arizona, this is what I think of:

1. Smoking hot women

2. Smoking hot weather

3. Cacti

4. Mediocre football

5. Decent basketball

6. More cacti

100. Hockey

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/2012/02/21/20120221glendale-phoenix-coyotes-nhl-5-million.html

Councilman Phil Lieberman demanded to know where staff was going to find the $5 million not allocated in this year's budget to pay the National Hockey League.

Glendale pledged $25 million to the NHL, for the second year, to manage the hockey team and city-owned arena.

The payment comes due at the end of the season in April.

"We need to find the money now," Lieberman said. "We owe that."

The city last year set aside $20 million in this year's budget with the intention of securing a team buyer who would pay the NHL tab.

Sherry Schurhammer, management and budget director, said $20 million is in escrow and "we have to identify where the $5 million will come from and set up an inter-fund loan like in fiscal year 2011."

oops

I'm sure the NHL can work it out to where the Coyotes can stay in the playoffs long enough to generate the $5 million that the city is short.

Do Blackhawks fans travel to Phoenix in droves like the Red Wings fans do?

I keep praying the Blackhawks can pass Nashville. It would be beautiful if the Coyotes came to an end against an obstructively trapping team that nobody gives a :censored: about.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Do Blackhawks fans travel to Phoenix in droves like the Red Wings fans do?

They've been de facto home games the past few years. I think there are also lots of transplants in the area; Bears-Cardinals games in Tempe tended to be awash in navy and orange.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Crown Their Ass was a de facto home game as well, but I don't think they've been back since.

It would be beautiful if the Coyotes came to an end against an obstructively trapping team that nobody gives a :censored: about.

Goals will be awarded simply for gaining the blue line and still have 2-1 final scores.

But, um, seriously, remember that time about a year ago that the MTS Centre underwent renovations to become NHL-compliant and nobody said it was a big deal?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://www.azcentral...einsider/156367

The council on Tuesday reviewed the library's draft budget, which proposes everything from reducing hours to shuttering all three facilities.

The council is reviewing all departments for savings to plug an anticipated deficit in the upcoming fiscal year that begins July 1.

About 30 residents, mostly in support of the library, attended the workshop. Several toted signs, including one that read: "Save our libraries and restore library cuts and cut sports."

Vice Mayor Steve Frate pounded home the gravity of the situation, saying even if council were to act on all of staff's recommended cuts, "there is still going to be a deficit."

The usually mild-mannered Frate then took some of his peers to task, beginning with Councilman Phil Lieberman.

Lieberman said that he didn't understand how the city could find money for its sports facilities and "other things that are costing us millions and millions" and yet be hard-pressed to fund the libraries.

Closing public libraries to subsidize sports teams is so damn American it makes me crap eagles.

The council on Tuesday reviewed the library's draft budget, which proposes everything from reducing hours to shuttering all three facilities.

The council is reviewing all departments for savings to plug an anticipated deficit in the upcoming fiscal year that begins July 1.

About 30 residents, mostly in support of the library, attended the workshop. Several toted signs, including one that read: "Save our libraries and restore library cuts and cut sports."

Vice Mayor Steve Frate pounded home the gravity of the situation, saying even if council were to act on all of staff's recommended cuts, "there is still going to be a deficit."

The usually mild-mannered Frate then took some of his peers to task, beginning with Councilman Phil Lieberman.

Lieberman said that he didn't understand how the city could find money for its sports facilities and "other things that are costing us millions and millions" and yet be hard-pressed to fund the libraries.

Closing public libraries to subsidize sports teams is so damn American it makes me crap eagles.

Since Lieberman voted against the funding, he is going to ask these questions every two weeks at the public meetings. Good for him.

Sadly, there will soon be at least one casualty in the upcoming weeks: the Glendale City Manager and possibly an Asst. City Manager. All of them are hired by the council and can easily by fired for not being able to provide the funds the council voted for. The other side is that Gelndale would have to come up with termination pay and spend the money in searching for new executives.

e240217-1.gif

Well, weren't all the cops and teachers laid off last year? ;)

http://tvasports.ca/...305-180122.html

Sure, I could just run it through Google Translate, but I gotta make sure I remember how to speak French.

Le maire de la Ville de Québec, Régis Labeaume, a annoncé lundi dans une réunion du conseil que la municipalité irait en appel d'offres en avril prochain en vue de la réalisation de travaux de réfection du Colisée Pepsi

The mayor of Quebec City, Regis Labeaume, has announced on Monday in a council meeting that the municipality should go name an offer next April looking to the realization of the labor of the Colisee.

Les candidats devront s'engager à respecter les normes de la Ligue nationale de hockey lors des travaux. Ainsi, Québec prend les devants dans l'éventualité où une équipe du circuit s'installerait dans la Capitale nationale.

The candidates will have to engage to respect the norms of the NHL during the labor. So, Quebec takes the forefront in the eventualty where a team in the league should install itself in the national capital.

So basically, the city is going to approve a construction bid in a month and they're going to renovate the Colisee to NHL standards so that Quebec City is the leading candidate for the Coyotes. So hey, there we go.

http://tvasports.ca/...305-180122.html

Sure, I could just run it through Google Translate, but I gotta make sure I remember how to speak French.

Le maire de la Ville de Québec, Régis Labeaume, a annoncé lundi dans une réunion du conseil que la municipalité irait en appel d'offres en avril prochain en vue de la réalisation de travaux de réfection du Colisée Pepsi

The mayor of Quebec City, Regis Labeaume, has announced on Monday in a council meeting that the municipality should go name an offer next April looking to the realization of the labor of the Colisee.

Les candidats devront s'engager à respecter les normes de la Ligue nationale de hockey lors des travaux. Ainsi, Québec prend les devants dans l'éventualité où une équipe du circuit s'installerait dans la Capitale nationale.

The candidates will have to engage to respect the norms of the NHL during the labor. So, Quebec takes the forefront in the eventualty where a team in the league should install itself in the national capital.

So basically, the city is going to approve a construction bid in a month and they're going to renovate the Colisee to NHL standards so that Quebec City is the leading candidate for the Coyotes. So hey, there we go.

Quebec considers itself the Capital of Canada?

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

The Quebecois are a cultural "nation" unto themselves. Stephen Harper said so!

I do agree that Capitale-Nationale is an odd term for that jurisdiction; it sounds more like a name for Gatineau

Oh and separatism is actually pretty low in Quebec City, as I understand it, because it's so overwhelmingly French that they never feel besieged by anglophone culture like Montrealers do.