MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I never understood the reason why the Twins had to add gold.  

On paper, I like it because it further separates them from their division rivals in Cleveland (not that it was an issue, but it's still good), I just think they could have executed it better.  For one thing, I don't like how it separates red and blue on the stripes but not on the letters/numbers.  Then there's the shade, which has already been brought up.  

I think the main thing is that they kept the same wordmark, so it just looks like they added some gold on as an afterthought.  They probably should have used the opportunity to go in more of a different direction, and come out with something altogether new.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I never understood the reason why the Twins had to add gold.  

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

On paper, I like it because it further separates them from their division rivals in Cleveland (not that it was an issue, but it's still good), I just think they could have executed it better.  For one thing, I don't like how it separates red and blue on the stripes but not on the letters/numbers.  Then there's the shade, which has already been brought up.  

I think the main thing is that they kept the same wordmark, so it just looks like they added some gold on as an afterthought.  They probably should have used the opportunity to go in more of a different direction, and come out with something altogether new.

I don't necessarily think they had to add gold, but I think it was a creative idea that as you said @BringBackTheVet separates them from not only Cleveland, but I would say the rest of the red & navy teams as well.

I just think if they lightened it to more of a tan/cream color, not only would it still incorporate the idea of the limestone around the ballpark (probably more accurately, I would add), but also could honor the old Metropolitan Twins uniforms, and I think it would flat out look better, by being less noticeable. Having off-white or tan as a shadow to a still white jersey would be something that I think would look cool and be unique around baseball.

The Mariners are wearing their regular home uniforms today instead of the normal blue & yellows that they wear on Sundays.  Maybe an encouraging sign that they're getting rid of them?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed that they say Marineros, so they're just wearing them for Hispanic Heritage Day.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

On paper, I like it because it further separates them from their division rivals in Cleveland (not that it was an issue, but it's still good), I just think they could have executed it better.

What about pinstripes? It would be a great way to seperate themselves from the Tribe and the other navy and red teams...

54 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

What about pinstripes? It would be a great way to seperate themselves from the Tribe and the other navy and red teams...

I don't know if this is a good enough answer but, the pinstriped jerseys, at least with the "Twins" wordmark, always seemed like a very Metrodome-type thing to me. Besides, even with pinstripes, they'd still ultimately be red & navy. I think having the extra color separates better than a jersey element such as pinstripes would. 

On 30/8/2016 at 6:15 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It makes no difference if it's European soccer.  The issue is the same in any sport.  Those were the examples that lept to mind at that moment.  

The phenomenon of two teams looking very similar has happened in the NFL.

Image result for new york giants 1995   Image result for buffalo bills 1995

And it has happened in the NBA.

Image result for cleveland cavaliers 1989   Image result for trent tucker knicks

And it has happened in the NHL.

similar nhl jerseys.jpg

Too much of that would not be a good thing.  But, if in an entire league, there are just a couple of examples of uniforms looking similar, then there is no problem; and no team should be expected to change solely to break this similarity.  

Bruins and Pens never looked the same !

12 hours ago, rxmc89 said:

The Mariners are wearing their regular home uniforms today instead of the normal blue & yellows that they wear on Sundays.  Maybe an encouraging sign that they're getting rid of them?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed that they say Marineros, so they're just wearing them for Hispanic Heritage Day.

Unpopular opinion...but I like those cream jerseys.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

19 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I don't know if this is a good enough answer but, the pinstriped jerseys, at least with the "Twins" wordmark, always seemed like a very Metrodome-type thing to me. Besides, even with pinstripes, they'd still ultimately be red & navy. I think having the extra color separates better than a jersey element such as pinstripes would. 

I don't know why they're trying to distance themselves from the dome era so much.   I believe the Metrodomd era uniforms were their best.  I personally loved the road pinstripes and the infamous Dairy Queens. (Possible unpopular opinion on both fronts)

1176066433_4f3bd98276_o.png

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

Weighing in on the Cardinals' navy road hats - It feels like I'm in the minority on this one, but I prefer the blue hats on the road. It's probably because that's what I grew used to as I was coming of age, but that's where I stand. When they wear red on the road it looks like they accidentally packed the wrong set of helmets or something. It's just off. I think designating different colored hats for home and road is a unique quirk in baseball aesthetics that works for certain teams and wearing darker, more drab colors on the road is an old baseball tradition that fits the Cardinals own personal aesthetic. 

I like that when the Cardinals play in Cincinnati it's one of the few places where they still wear the blue hats. Isn't it kind of weird to let your opponent dictate when you wear a certain cap? They're the only team that has this policy. The Nationals don't wear their red hats on the road when they're playing the Braves, for example. 

Red hats work on the road for the following teams: Reds, Angels, Phillies, but I think they just don't look good on the Cardinals when they're in the road grays. They don't look bad, but the blue headgear looks better. Sort of related: if they're going to continue to wear the blue bird on bat hats on Sundays they need to get some matching helmets. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've said it before, but the only way I like the Cardinals' road cap is with a red bill, like the 1940-55 cap. The red bill gives it a nice injection of color, something largely absent from the all-navy cap:

mort+cooper+cap.jpeg

If it doesn't have the red bill, then I prefer the Cardinals wearing red caps and belts on the road. Heck, the sentiment that you have to "darken" your look on the road has led to the creation of a lot of unnecessary caps:

ashat.jpg $_35.JPG?set_id=2 ff_594246_full.jpg 

The Cardinals helped to start this crummy trend of teams "darkening" their caps on the road, and it's a trend I'm glad they're now avoiding.

Cardinal-outfielders-01.jpg

The red breathes some life into the road uniform, which is why they wisely ditched the all-navy cap in the 1960's. If they have to "darken" their set on the road, at least have the decency to stick a red bill on the cap.

12 hours ago, TVIXX said:

Navy vs royal in milwaukee for the past two games

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The really sad thing is that I have no idea which one is the Brewers in your description.   

We need more clues! Yellow? Gold? Metallic? Old school logos? Modern logos? Combination of old logos with new colors? Ahhhhhh!!!!

That ad sums it up perfectly. It's like if they don't realize that the two color schemes are not the same. As if they're "close enough so who cares."

Edit: Went and looked at all 30 of those Respect the Color ads and it's kinda interesting for us uniform and color junkies to see what choices were made for each team. It's interesting how teams with the same color schemes were differentiated and also to see how some teams included their "rare or unused" colors like the Yankees and their red.

Archived