MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Like the Blue Jays, I don't think the black jerseys were bad in of themselves, but they just didn't work for a team that had been royal blue since the very beginning. Nor did they even attempt to go with a different hue of blue that might have worked with black better. It was clearly a cheap black-for-black's-sake jersey and nothing more.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH, I like the black Royal jerseys. I think they worked fine as alternate, much better than the powder blues do anyway.

I think the team just needs to decide on a third colour or drop it. Gold could work, but it'd have to be in small doses. Black doesn't look bad with the shade of blue, but it needs to be done right.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Mare the Padres CONFIRMED as getting a redesign or is that just speculation?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Blue Jays and Mets have worn their alts too much in the playoffs. I don't think either are bad at all, but I would like to see the Blue Jays standard roads for a change. And for the Mets, their standard home uniform.

It disappoints me as a Mets fan that they didn't open their playoff series in pinstripes at home. I'm not a fan of the two-tone cap worn tonight. I might like it better if it had the traditional logo without the highlighting. Something like this:B7AC3EFC-AC5B-4CE8-A2A6-2624976412BB_zps

That would be fine as a BP cap, but I don't think anything other than the standard blue is really necessary in a game.

I would be happy if they only wore the blue. Two-tone caps work for some teams and not others. I don't why.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Maybe instead of banning them, limit them to just one game per postseason series. (Or maybe twice, once at home and once on the road.)

That may end up being 66% of the games in a three-game series, though.

I'm in favour of banning all alts from the postseason starting in the NLCS/ALCS. I can comprise on no alts in the world series, however.

So, alts would be okay in the Wildcard Game, the Division Series, and the World Series, but not the LCS? Why single out the LCS?

Blue Jays and Mets have worn their alts too much in the playoffs. I don't think either are bad at all, but I would like to see the Blue Jays standard roads for a change. And for the Mets, their standard home uniform.

It disappoints me as a Mets fan that they didn't open their playoff series in pinstripes at home. I'm not a fan of the two-tone cap worn tonight. I might like it better if it had the traditional logo without the highlighting. Something like this:B7AC3EFC-AC5B-4CE8-A2A6-2624976412BB_zps

That would be fine as a BP cap, but I don't think anything other than the standard blue is really necessary in a game.

I would be happy if they only wore the blue. Two-tone caps work for some teams and not others. I don't why.

I've always thought that, as well. The Mets certainly aren't among those that it works for, nor are the Reds, Cubs, or several other teams that have tried it and failed. The Braves, A's, and Orioles, on the other hand, don't look right in solids.

I'm in favour of banning all alts from the postseason starting in the NLCS/ALCS. I can comprise on no alts in the world series, however.

So, alts would be okay in the Wildcard Game, the Division Series, and the World Series, but not the LCS? Why single out the LCS?

What he's saying is that he wants to ban alts starting in the LCS, but he can compromise on a no-alt rule in just the World Series

Maybe instead of banning them, limit them to just one game per postseason series. (Or maybe twice, once at home and once on the road.)

those dont exist in the playoffs

I think he's referring to the possibility of a 3-game sweep in the LDS.

those dont exist in the playoffs

I think he's referring to the possibility of a 3-game sweep in the LDS.

oops. wasnt thinking about that.

What he's saying is that he wants to ban alts starting in the LCS, but he can compromise on a no-alt rule in just the World Series

that is what im going for. so

Wild Card: Yup

Division: yup

Championship: Nope(If argued, I could accept it however)

World Series: Never

I hate teams wearing alts in the postseason, but especially when going for a league championship and for the championship for the best team in baseball

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1184886480_e86558b087_o.png

berroa.jpg

I remember the black jerseys with the "Royals" script and piping, but I had no idea the "Kansas City" ones ever existed :shocked:

In 2006 they dropped black from the jerseys and the black hats, going to the Kansas City script on the roads. However, they made this new road alt jersey, which had to be worn with the blue caps because the black ones were no longer worn. They wore it once the first week of the season in Yankee Stadium and it was never seen again.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Because in 1969 nobody cared about things like being set apart from the Dodgers. They only cared about good design.

...but it's not 1969 anymore, it's now 2015.

I agree with Almighty, here. I don't think it would hurt for them to use some more gold in their identity. A gold outline could be a subtle addition that could not only set them apart from the Dodgers, but could just spiffy up their look in general. It's worth a shot, anyway. They'd sell more jerseys, and if it ended up looking bad, they could always revert to their current look.

Besides, this isn't exactly a team that never deviates from tradition. They jumped on the BFBS bandwagon for several years. If they were willing to do that, then I don't think adding some gold trim (which is a team color, anyway) should be considered that wild of an idea.

The only drawback of this, of course, is that then they may start to look like the Brewers. But all things being equal, gold+blue+white > blue+white, especially for a team named the Royals.

I don't hate the idea of adding some gold but I think a gold trim is the wrong way to go. It reminds me of when the Giants added gold to celebrate their championships. A gold trim would look like a special commerative type of jersey for a one time use. It would need to be more than just adding trim.

with that said, I've always like the Royals in white and blue and have never once cared that they have the same color scheme as the Dodgers. Its not like color schemes have to be exclusive. There's enough teams that have the same color schemes that this shouldn't be an issue. Both the Dodgers and Royals look good, who cares that they're similar?

I agree. The White Sox have a look kind of similar to the Yankees, and I think it's fine. The Royals look a bit like the Dodgers, but it's fine. I've never really had a problem with similar-looking teams in baseball. Nothing wrong with being unique, but on the other hand, you don't want to stray too far into bizarre territory.

The White Sox have pinstripes with a chest logo and use a dark color. That's the extent of their similarities. They Yankees use raglan sleeves, thicker knit-in pinstripes, no names and a thick font. The Sox use thinner pinstripes, MLB block, NOB, front numbers and a silver outline. Not exactly a carbon copy (as the Rockies nearly are of the Sox).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I get how some of you don't want alts in the postseason but why would MLB ever put some kind of rules or bans on that? Do you think MLB and the teams care about the look of the teams more than the possibilities of selling more jerseys? Especially considering how nice some of the alts admittedly look, there's no way MLB ever has rules or bans against alternate jerseys. We on these boards care about the teams fashions.... MLB and the players themselves don't, especially in the postseason.

People calling for more navy in baseball.

What a world.

I think in this case, it's "acceptable" with the Angels because they started out with navy and red. It would be going back to a look they had for a long time, rather than navy for the sake of navy.

It's "acceptable" because despite constant complaints on this board about baseball overusing certain colors, they are always used in different ways that make each team easily distinguishable from the others, and I think the love of this postseason's look shows that. If the Angels went navy, no one would be mixing them up with the Astros or Twins or Red Sox.

I am with Jungle Jim. The red cap and undershirts looks totally unbalanced to me with the blue wordmark and numbers.

You can see it better in this picture where the undershirt is visible.

hi-res-180501111-derek-holland-of-the-te

I find the current Texas uniforms unique in that they do seem to perfectly fit with both red and blue. Yes, the script doesn't match the overall color of the red cap. However, I find that it's much more a necessity for the undershirts and socks to match the hat than the uniform script (with Boston and possibly Cleveland being the only exceptions). The Orioles, Red Sox, Indians, Braves, Marlins, and Rockies all don't match their script to their caps (at least not all the time).

Awesome. They all wear different colored squatchees too!

Beautiful

Holy crap! I never noticed the squatchees!

For the people on this forum, the front numbers and piping are plenty to tell the Dodgers and Royals apart. For the average fan, though, the uniforms are nearly indistinguishable. That's definitely a problem. Gold trim is not the way to go, IMO.

The blaring, not anywhere else in the identity, bright red numbers right on the front are a huge difference, and no one could ever mix up the uniforms based on that. Although I wouldn't argue with earlier calls for the sleeve striping to be made the same as the old one.

I think the Royals realize a king's crown is gold. Their logo isn't that complicated. ;)

I really wish they did. Am I the only one who finds the gold they use on their logo to be extremely dreary? In fact, the blue too. I don't think the drop shadow is the only problem. Look at the colors on the flag below.

mlb-minnesota-twins-kansas-city-royals.j

Now compare that to the primary logo.

fmrl2b6xf5hruiike42gn62yu.png

The logo was changed to reflect the move to a more black-accentuated set, but when the black was eliminated the colors weren't brightened back up. I really think they could use a freshening up bad. The gold isn't even as light as the still-dreary Brewers logo gold.

But Joe Maddon is looking cozy in his stocking cap. <_<

Seriously, you're the manager of a big-league club (in the postseason, no less). Dress like a manager instead of a sixth-grader on a snow day.

No one looks dignified in those things.

tom-brady-hat.jpg

At least Maddon has that cute little old gnomey thing going on. He's more the smiling trickster than someone who's supposed to be the legendary man... although I'm blanking on examples of the latter in baseball except for Ted Williams at the moment.

Mare the Padres CONFIRMED as getting a redesign or is that just speculation?

The Padres' All-Star Game logo has been released, and the color scheme seems to clearly point to a new color scheme, considering that every logo the last 25 years has either had colors pertaining to the team's identity or had colors that would become part of the team's identity in a year or two following.

4181__mlb_all-star_game-primary-2016.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I get how some of you don't want alts in the postseason but why would MLB ever put some kind of rules or bans on that? Do you think MLB and the teams care about the look of the teams more than the possibilities of selling more jerseys? Especially considering how nice some of the alts admittedly look, there's no way MLB ever has rules or bans against alternate jerseys. We on these boards care about the teams fashions.... MLB and the players themselves don't, especially in the postseason.

we can dream cant we?

we can dream cant we?

Definitely nothing against dreaming, just think many are being pretty literal with the rules and banning ideas.

Archived