MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a sneaking suspicion the Mariners are going to introduce more royal blue and yellow elements in 2016. Just a hunch, based off of inventory of certain items on internet stores.

Also, metallic stitching (like gold and silver) always looks far better in person than in pictures. The gold trim might look bad on this board, but in real life I bet it looked halfway decent

That's likely because the Mariners are a horrible organization. Glorify the period in which you wore lifeless uniforms in a lifeless dome and lost in front of a few thousand fans while teetering on relocation. The good old days!

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As for the Royals, we'll just have to live with them looking strikingly similar to the Dodgers, since they've been this way for almost 50 years. Adding blue-white-blue stripes would help them here, to the detriment of the people who bitch about the White Sox and Phillies' road looking like they're stuck in the '80s.

Yeah, exactly, the Royals get to look stuck in the '80s when they have their first/only world championship in the '80s and still play in a park that rewards '80s-style station-to-station ball.

Agree on metallics not working, though the White Sox make silver work.

The Sox actually use more of a gray on trim for their home and black jerseys.The twill is a slightly-glossy gray, not so much silver. For all I know it could be the same twill the Raiders use, but at least next to the gray road jersey, it doesn't look like a different color (I've held them next to each other). It looks gray with a slight sheen to it. And it's not close to the shimmery silver that the Mariners use on the teal alts.

I wanted to see the Sox add a silver-brimmed game cap back in the '90s when the Mariners did it, as I was a foolish youth. But I'm glad they didn't. It didn't really go with the rest of the uniforms, most particularly the roads.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't know if it means anything, but the Mariners posted the cover page of this PDF on their Facebook page in conjunction with a season review post.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/documents/1/4/4/155039144/2015_Mariners_Season_Review_uridpw63.pdf

That's a whole lot of blue and gold and Sunday alt on the cover if you're asking me...

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

It's time to break out this rough mock-up:

fs11lso.jpg

I'm all for making a white version of the above road uniform for the Rockies, with purple caps, undershirts, belts, and socks.

Can I be the one to say maybe a slight reigning of the purple would be best? Say, have the undershirts and socks purple but keep the caps and belts the traditional black? I like that they should go to more purple but I still want them to be a purple and black team and not just an all purple team.

Cap, undershirts, socks, and lettering should all be the same color for all teams, in my opinion. I suppose exceptions could be made for teams that have two color caps, such as the Orioles and Braves. The second (and third, if used) colors are only for accents, outlines, etc.

In general I'd agree but the Red Sox are a great example of a team that doesn't match the shirts and socks with the caps and they look awesome. And the Indians with their red undershirts with their navy caps is a thing of beauty. So I think they're enough exceptions to say the cap doesn't have to match the shirts and socks... thus I think a black Rockies cap with purple shirts and socks would work well.

With credit to Adam Leroy at www.neweracaptalk.com...

AngelsLAcapstaggeredhalo_zps2470bcac.jpg

Bumping my concepts from ten years ago(!)

Since we've been following this story on the board, I thought you guys might have an interest in this news:

Link here (LA Times)

June 28, 2005

Anaheim Loses Its Battle for Now

In another defeat for the city of Anaheim, a state appeals court ruled Monday that the Angels can call themselves the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for the rest of the season.

The 4th District Court of Appeal rejected the city's bid for an injunction that would have blocked the Angels from continuing to use the Los Angeles designation. The decision was announced late Monday afternoon on the court's website, and it left Anaheim Councilman Harry Sidhu wondering if the city should keep fighting the Angels in court.

So they're the LA Angels for at least the rest of the season. They're also looking pretty good to win in court in November, if the city even fights it that long.

Myself, when they do win, I'd like to see them put "Los Angeles" on the roads. And not just because I already worked up a couple concepts for it:

losangeles_angels.giflosangeles_angels_bluecaps.gif

Maybe it's finally time. ;)

I want the mariners to go blue and yellow full time. brewers too. I love those colors so much

I love blue and yellow, too. I really wish the Brewers would go back to it, but it's wrong for the Mariners. It's from an era where the teams were bad, bland, and nobody cared about them. When they played in an awful dome. Navy and teal is a great color scheme, and it is what they wore when the franchise became relevant, saved Seattle baseball, and featured some of the greatest players of all-time. Even if the Mariners blue and yellow sets were great (they were bland as hell), it would still be wrong for them to go back to those.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

In a vacuum, the Mariners' Sunday alts and their logos look good in blue and gold; dare I say great, even.

That said, the right Mariners look to me is navy and teal. Their best teams and best players wore those colors, and as others have said, those colors represent almost a "second chance" for them considering they almost didn't make it there. I hate to toss around the word "iconic", but navy and teal represent so much more to that franchise than meets the eye. It is, in that regard, an "iconic" color set for them.

So should the Mariners switch to blue and gold, they'll look good. But they won't look like the Mariners should.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

It could be me being jaded because I don't think the Mariners should wear blue and yellow, but I *don't* think those uniforms look good. In fact, I think they look awful. They're unnecessarily cream-colored, even though the franchise didn't exist when teams wore flannel uniforms. Yellow looks horrendous against cream, so they had to add a blue outline around the yellow outline, muddying everything. Then add in the awful, awkward looking recolored logo which also makes the hat look peculiar, and I think the whole thing is just one ugly, unnecessary mess.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Per today's Uni Watch, the LA Angels of Anaheim will be simply the "LA Angels" next season.

Finally. I appreciate they won a title as the "Anaheim Angels," but that name only existed for a relatively short period of time. They spent most of their history as the "LA" or "California" Angels. It's not like they're physically moving out of Anaheim (for now), so the city will still get money from the team. Isn't that what's important at the end of the day?

wDoNf.png

Not bad. This would be a nice way to add a bit more color to their identity, and an alternative to bringing back the navy.

It could be me being jaded because I don't think the Mariners should wear blue and yellow, but I *don't* think those uniforms look good. In fact, I think they look awful. They're unnecessarily cream-colored, even though the franchise didn't exist when teams wore flannel uniforms. Yellow looks horrendous against cream, so they had to add a blue outline around the yellow outline, muddying everything. The add in the awful, awkward looking recolored logo which also makes the hat look peculiar, and I think the whole thing is just one ugly, unnecessary mess.

I agree about the cap. The cap logo looks weird done in one colour. When the Mariners wear the blue and yellow uniforms, they should pair it with their original cap.

griffey-1977-hat_zpsevycnejt.png

While the S-compass logo is very nice, the best cap logo is the original one. The S-compass logo is more suited to be a sleeve patch.

I partially agree with the comment about the cream uniforms. I don't dislike them, nor do I think that yellow looks bad against them. But I do find the cream colour unnecessary. A gleaming white would have been better.

And I don't agree at all with the notion that the Mariners shouldn't wear blue and yellow. Those are the team's true colours; they never should have gone away from them.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yellow does look bad against cream. That's why they added to blue outline to separate them.

And although the Mariners started out in blue and yellow, that was a unique color scheme already owned by their predecessors, the Brewers. And the entirety of the Mariners' run in those colors consisted of losing. The Mariners of that era were the team people would forget existed until their team played them, then again immediately afterwards. Upon seeing Griffey Jr. highlights circa 1993, I'm sure millions of NL fans said, "Wait, I thought the Mariners were a minor league team?"

I dislike teams changing their original color schemes in general, but this one was a good change. And when you add in the fact that the franchise's only relevance has come in the current set, it's even less reason to wear blue and yellow. No need to honor the dead here when the dead was a drunk who used to expose himself to young girls in front of the Woolworth.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I started watching baseball around 1987 or 1988. The only thing I remember about the blue and gold trident Mariners years is seeing them on a baseball card. They weren't ever televised nationally from what I remember. The later blue and gold set wasn't much more memorable. The only difference was that Junior started his career in those. To me, success being the deciding factor on a color scheme is a case by case basis. Case in point, the Patriots. They have been wildly successful in the Navy but I would be all for them changing the color scheme. Maybe, its just that I love the Mariners in navy and teal.

Archived