MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally thin the "SD" monogram will look fantastic on he home uni. I've said it several times, this rebrand is especially frustrating to me because it's so close to being great. Add yellow the road and alt jerseys and caps and you've got a great uni set.

spacer.png

I think the new blue cap with the yellow D looks uneven. That white S is throwing off the balance, especially with the yellow squatchee.

They are. And a 6-letter word wouldn't have a "knot" -- the "D" will narrow towards the buttons and the "R" will widen away from them. Seems pretty straightforward

The old San DiegO wordmark and the All StaR Game logo both have a knot.

Maybe it will be PaDReS.

I think the new blue cap with the yellow D looks uneven. That white S is throwing off the balance, especially with the yellow squatchee.

It's the squatchee. Throws everything off.
Yeah, the gold squatchee needs a gold bill to work.

I like the squatchee. I'd rather they change the S to yellow.
I think it makes more sense to change the squatchee to match the logo than the logo to match the squatchee.

Especially since the white S/colored D is a design element that dates back to the PCL Padres.

The difference between those three is only that Detroit and New York have roughly symmetrical, squared-offd logos, that look good on the front of a jersey. Washington's curvy, upward-slanting "W" is woefully out of place there, not substantial enough to anchor a jersey.

I disagree with the thing about the Nationals. I'm not a Nats fan or anything, but I think the curly W looks fine as is on the front of their jersey. Frankly, if they are going to go that route, I'd rather they have that than some type of blocky DC logo like they used to have, or a boring, generic, blocky, "W." The curly W gives the jersey a little style and personality. It's a tiny bit interesting without being overwhelming or gaudy.

I've seen people on here argue that their home jerseys should use that "Nationals" cursive script. While I think that's a decent looking script, it would look too generic. When you see that curly W, you instantly think "Nationals" (you can make whatever Walgreens joke you want here, but in terms of BASEBALL, you think "Nationals."). It is instantly recognizable, without being over-the-top, as a good chest logo should be. The "Nationals" cursive script would only make the team look more generic. After a year of them wearing that, people would be complaining about how their jerseys are so boring, they look too much like certain other teams, etc.

When you are a National League team named the "Nationals," and your colors are red/white/blue, you need to do whatever you can to make yourself stand out, at least a LITTLE. The curly W chest logo is kind of a nice balanced way to do that.

No, I still think Walgreens. They had it for decades before Washington tried to appropriate their logo in a "baseball context". :rolleyes:

And you and I apparently have different definitions of "balanced". The upswing italic and extra loop on the left disqualifies it in my book.

I just saw a retail guide that lists the following caps as no longer in use for 2016:

Astros orange

Mets camo

Pirates mustard/black

Padres light brown

We knew about San Diego and there was a rumor going around that one of the camo hats is gone. But I haven't seen anything else about Houston and Pittsburgh. I hope it's incorrect because those are two of my favorite caps in baseball. Can anyone confirm?

So, two of my most-favorite caps in history (Astros orange and Pirates mustard) are being mothballed once again. Wonderful. :(

I just saw a retail guide that lists the following caps as no longer in use for 2016:

Astros orange

Mets camo

Pirates mustard/black

Padres light brown

We knew about San Diego and there was a rumor going around that one of the camo hats is gone. But I haven't seen anything else about Houston and Pittsburgh. I hope it's incorrect because those are two of my favorite caps in baseball. Can anyone confirm?

So, two of my most-favorite caps in history (Astros orange and Pirates mustard) are being mothballed once again. Wonderful. :(

I guess I better order that Astros orange cap now.

How would you guys feel if the D-backs went with something like this?

17709357135_328462cedd_o.jpg

Yah! No. Diamondbacks should not look more like the Marlins than the Marlins do.

Yeah, the gold squatchee needs a gold bill to work.

I dunno. We just had a much beloved set of final four teams all with full blue caps that featured all different colored squatchees.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived