MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Has any other team EVER worn a special jersey for an entire season just because they hosted the all star game? What kind of Harry high school crap is that?

It also implies that the usual time frame for making changes will be reduced for them, unless 2017 changes are already completed and they're just sitting on it for a while.

Also, why is the D broken?

I like the idea of a special All-Star year jersey. The Nats could wear one that says "Nationals" next year and the Marlins can wear a blue hat in 2018. It's not exactly Color Rush, for good and bad, but it's a way of letting teams play around a little bit with their look.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has any other team EVER worn a special jersey for an entire season just because they hosted the all star game? What kind of Harry high school crap is that?

It also implies that the usual time frame for making changes will be reduced for them, unless 2017 changes are already completed and they're just sitting on it for a while.

Also, why is the D broken?

I actually don't mind and next season they'll probably replace the SD with the Padres wordmark

I like the idea of a special All-Star year jersey. The Nats could wear one that says "Nationals" next year and the Marlins can wear a blue hat in 2018. It's not exactly Color Rush, for good and bad, but it's a way of letting teams play around a little bit with their look.

Not only are they keeping the old camo, they're updating it with the new wordmark.

They stressed that they still love the Marines very much, even though they're not going to wear the Marine camo as much. Which highlights the problem with this kind of pandering - it's hard to stop once you start.

And it'll be interesting - for years we've had posters assure us that the fans of brown were a distinct minority in San Diego, that navy was preferred by the vast majority. Well, now we'll find out for sure.

Yeah, and i think each team should have a new uniform every year, to spice things up a bit, just look at the NBA this year, just awesomeness

:woot:

Okay, I have some lengthy thoughts on this, so here goes:

First, I hate this "commemorative jersey" crud. It's stupid and is just an excuse for the MLB to become like European soccer (new jerseys each year).

I actually like all the jerseys they unveiled yesterday (except the camo, but that had the bonus of the awesome new script). The Friday alt is beautiful, and I love the home uni except for the one major fact that will bug me: the SD on the jersey will be one color and outlined, while the one on the cap is two colors and not outlined. I have actually been a big advocate for the Padres' use of blue in the past, but the Friday alt showed that they should be in brown and gold. So here is what I think they should be wearing:

HOME: White jersey, brown Padres script and name and number on back, all outlined in gold. All-brown cap with gold SD.

ROAD: Gray jersey, brown script and name and number all outlined in gold. Same cap as home.

HOME ALT: Gold jersey, brown script and name and number all outlined in white. Either same cap as home or same cap as Friday alt.

HOME/ROAD ALT: Exactly the same as Friday alt.

spacer.png

Not sure if this is known but the Marines brown jersey will be kept and used alternately with the Navy jerseys by year.

Like in 2017 the Military Sundays will be the Marines jersey again and we won't see the Navy blueberries again until 2018 (barring specific US Navy or US Marine special events/days)... and it will alternate like this every year.

Not sure if this is known but the Marines brown jersey will be kept and used alternately with the Navy jerseys by year.

Like in 2017 the Military Sundays will be the Marines jersey again and we won't see the Navy blueberries again until 2018 (barring specific US Navy or US Marine special events/days)... and it will alternate like this every year.

<insert facepalm emoji here>

spacer.png

I have not followed this too closely. Am I right about the below color schemes they'll be wearing?

2016 home:

• Blue with yellow trim
  • Brown
  • Navy Camo
  • Marines Camo

2016 Road:

• Blue with no yellow

Please tell me they don't still have a blue with no yellow scheme at home (actually that would at least create some continuity between home/road)

And I thought the Twins were goofy for adding gold only to the home primaries (I was right...but this is the Twins on steroids). The Padres, at home, will average 20 games per year in four different looks. My guess is the "SD" primary will get about half of the games. (OK...I just saw the post above me says they are going to alternate Marines and Navy by year...that's slightly better)

The thing is that I really like certain elements of what they have, but these elements make them seem like at least three different teams.

On individual elements:

• The brown jersey is gorgeous and I hope that it sells like crazy so it becomes the primary
  • The brown cap is awful...but I hate panel caps. Hopefully, though, it sells well too. And then when brown becomes "the" color, they'll have a nice non-panel cap.
  • I know I should not, but I really, really like the "SD" home jersey. I know "SD" on the chest at home is not loved, but I grew up loving cap logos on the chest. And the colors look really good together. I want the Padres to be brown, but this blue and yellow look would be a nice way to go too. It's sharp and nobody is wearing a scheme like that now (Brewers, please take note)
  • TWO camo jerseys? And they can never drop them because that will indicate they hate America or at least one branch of the military. On the plus side, I really like the wordmark on the new one (and the brown one)
  • HATE the two-colored SD on the new blue had. Should be yellow with white outline or vice versa...hated that about the blue/orange too.
  • Dislike the brown "D." But it looks like that's how the "SD" is going to be

Someone asked about the broken "D" a few pages ago...was that addressed...I really dislike the broken "D."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Well, mostly.

They changed the Marine jersey to include the new script, and it will definitely be worn twice this year (Marine Appreciation Day and US Army Appreciation Day). Contrast that with the eleven games they'll wear the silly Navy camo. Then next year the Marine camo becomes the regular weekend alternate and the silly Navy camo will get the twice-a-year treatment.

I have not followed this too closely. Am I right about the below color schemes they'll be wearing?

2016 home:

• Blue with yellow trim
  • Brown
  • Navy Camo
  • Marines Camo

2016 Road:

• Blue with no yellow

Please tell me they don't still have a blue with no yellow scheme at home (actually that would at least create some continuity between home/road)

And I thought the Twins were goofy for adding gold only to the home primaries (I was right...but this is the Twins on steroids). The Padres, at home, will average 20 games per year in four different looks. My guess is the "SD" primary will get about half of the games. (OK...I just saw the post above me says they are going to alternate Marines and Navy by year...that's slightly better)

The thing is that I really like certain elements of what they have, but these elements make them seem like at least three different teams.

On individual elements:

• The brown jersey is gorgeous and I hope that it sells like crazy so it becomes the primary
  • The brown cap is awful...but I hate panel caps. Hopefully, though, it sells well too. And then when brown becomes "the" color, they'll have a nice non-panel cap.
  • I know I should not, but I really, really like the "SD" home jersey. I know "SD" on the chest at home is not loved, but I grew up loving cap logos on the chest. And the colors look really good together. I want the Padres to be brown, but this blue and yellow look would be a nice way to go too. It's sharp and nobody is wearing a scheme like that now (Brewers, please take note)
  • TWO camo jerseys? And they can never drop them because that will indicate they hate America or at least one branch of the military. On the plus side, I really like the wordmark on the new one (and the brown one)
  • HATE the two-colored SD on the new blue had. Should be yellow with white outline or vice versa...hated that about the blue/orange too.
  • Dislike the brown "D." But it looks like that's how the "SD" is going to be

Someone asked about the broken "D" a few pages ago...was that addressed...I really dislike the broken "D."

They will not have the old white home uniform any longer, but they will be using the road gray uniform last year as this year's roads as well (same cap as last year for this set).

Has any other team EVER worn a special jersey for an entire season just because they hosted the all star game?

The closest thing is the Mariners in 1979. That year and the next year, they wore the All-Star Game logo, a flared trident-M on top of a star, as a sleeve patch and as a helmet logo, while keeping the original straight trident-M as a cap logo. Then in 1981 the All-Star logo became their cap logo as well, as part of an overall redesign that included thick stripes down the sides of the uniform and outlines on the wordmark.

1979 All-Star Game logo:

2927.gif

1979-80 uniforms:

2193452f.jpg

2192393f.jpg

1981 uniforms:

2309431f.jpg

The annoying thing about the Padres' brown and yellow cap is that they didn't get the yellow bell part right. It should be thinner than the front two panels.

sd%20cap%20problem_zpsacirele1.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Has any other team EVER worn a special jersey for an entire season just because they hosted the all star game?

The closest thing is the Mariners in 1979. That year and the next year, they wore the All-Star Game logo, a flared trident-M on top of a star, as a sleeve patch and as a helmet logo, while keeping the original straight trident-M as a cap logo. Then in 1981 the All-Star logo became their cap logo as well, as part of an overall redesign that included thick stripes down the sides of the uniform and outlines on the wordmark.

1979 All-Star Game logo:

2927.gif

1979-80 uniforms:

2193452f.jpg

2192393f.jpg

1981 uniforms:

2309431f.jpg

The annoying thing about the Padres' brown and yellow cap is that they didn't get the yellow bell part right. It should be thinner than the front two panels.

sd%20cap%20problem_zpsacirele1.png

I like the difference in the panels though.. it looks less goofy. I think its a better way to do the panel if its gonna be done at all.

its definitely a better way to do the "bell" shaped panel (aesthetically)... but it's not at all bell-shaped, which means it's another half-@$$ job by the padres.. it's in the middle of the 2 more acceptable options (full front panel/true bell-shaped panel)... oh well

also, based on the texture of the material in the Diamondbacks' teaser... anyone think this has a shot at being the result?

1uJWn3R.jpg

its definitely a better way to do the "bell" shaped panel (aesthetically)... but it's not at all bell-shaped, which means it's another half-@$$ job by the padres.. it's in the middle of the 2 more acceptable options (full front panel/true bell-shaped panel)... oh well

also, based on the texture of the material in the Diamondbacks' teaser... anyone think this has a shot at being the result?

1uJWn3R.jpg

I hope not

Archived