MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the uniforms, although I'm admittedly a baseball uniform traditionalist. However, I love the black, red and teal color combo.

They're weird, but they're honestly not the worst uniforms ever.

Gotta agree with this, ok lets face it, these are weird ass uniforms. But do you really see a team thats gonna stick with every single one of these jerseys? My guess is a good as yours that the Teal Alts will become the look of the team in a few years. So as weird as these may be, they're unique so you can't be upset with a team for trying to be unique.

a2BRS8U.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are way too many options, but I actually like these. Eliminate a few and you've got something going.

I wouldn't like this for any team that existed before 1976 1993, but if a team is going to break baseball tradition and go with something new, Arizona is perfect.

I consider myself traditionalist-leaning on the Uniform Compass™, but I'm giving these a thumbs-three-quarters-up.

Someone should make a quiz like the Political Compass™, but about uniforms. Instead of conservative/liberal and authoritarian/libertarian, you could have traditionalist/modernist and... something else for the Y axis.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

-I don't hate these, though some of the gimmicks are insanely stupid - specifically the cuff design and half piping, which forces players to either wear pajama pants or have only a small pipe right above their knee.

-The dark gray could be great. I loved it when Toronto tried it (though obviously they bailed before it saw the light of day) and I'm glad someone else is giving it a shot. I've long thought that teams like SF and CHW could pull off full-black road alts, and maybe this paves the way.

-I'm no marketing expert or branding consultant, but jesus christ - 8 uniforms? 5 caps? Effing stupid. How the hell do you build a cohesive identity when your product comes in so many different packages? Just pick a home, road, and one alt (or a home and road alt if you must) and pair each with a single hat.

I'm certainly not a uniform traditionalist, but I still think that a team should have a uniform, and a hat, and not 30 thousand different looks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hope baseball players start getting tons of concussions so MLB will have to institute a one-cap rule.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

D-Backs look like batting practice jerseys, and special event caps.

The teal is terrible imo, teal should be associated with water, that is why the marlins used it in the past, and the sharks of the NHL use it now. Noting could be further away in zona then a big blue-green sea

Snakehead with ball is too cartoonish, like something you see in the minors

Actually, teal is very much associated with Arizona and the Southwest. It is a color very frequently seen in Native American artwork, like Navajo weaves and jewelry. I was just at an art museum in Santa Fe not too long ago, and almost all of the pieces on display had some teal somewhere.

And the snakehead may be cartoonish, but it's something from their early years, along with the teal.

Yeah okay, but i have never seen a teal snake before B)

Except that one time i was in a hurry and got caught in my zipper :wub:

How do you get the beans above the frank?

I am a chinese acrobat, i have been training since i was 2 weeks old , nothing is impossible for me

:grin:

LOVE EM!

So what if they don't look like every other team in the Majors? The uniform is cutting edge and has personality. Ever other sport does it. And now so does MLB!

As cutting edge as Russell Athletic jerseys for the Little League World Series, anyway. Literally, Russell Athletic, the top-shelf sports supplier which currently gets its primary income from selling $15 workout shorts at Walmart (love the shorts, though), has been doing this on LITTLE LEAGUE uniforms for a few years now. Nothing cutting edge about this.

People want "outlandish?" The Marlins had a great chance to do that, but they messed up. They could have put tri-color stripes or piping on the pants and sleeves, huge neon shadows on all elements like the "M", but instead, they wear plain black hats and black jerseys. But them going "outlandish" would have at least made since within what they wanted to do and ended up half-assing. These Diamondbacks uniforms are uninspired, and the worst thing to ever see a major league field. I don't think it's particularly close.

They brought back the snakehead logo, which is cool.

They made the A the primary again, which is whatever. It's a decent logo, but they also could have come up with something original.

Everything else spans from bad, to comically awful, to horrendous.

The numbers are trash, and are clearly designed by Nike. Dated college garbage. And they match literally nothing else.

The hats are silly.

The number of alternates is just dumb.

Having collar striping intersect the raglan clown pattern is awful.

Once again, Nike is designing like an eight year-old. "THUR NAMED AFTER SNAKES SO WE SHUD PUT SCALES LIKE SNAKES WARE!" Yes, Nike, you know how to sublimate. There's nothing clever about that.

These uniforms scream "We're an awful franchise playing in a warehouse, and since our original owner was able to buy a championship in our fourth year of existence, we've been a joke. Fans don't particularly care to watch us play, and we don't particularly care to improve as a franchise. But the same people fondling themselves every time Division 4 Butte Fuch State gets an alternate gradient matte helmet will run out to buy our hats because they're not "tired" like the rest of MLB. So, that's all we've got."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Re: Diamondbacks

giphy.gif

I'm just kinda shell shocked about the whole thing, honestly. How "Russell College Football" the primaries look (I'm sorry, I have nothing good to say about them). How inexcusable it is that a much superior and cleaner set gets relegated to alternates behind those "Russell" sets. How disjointed this how identity is now. It's a complete disaster, and I'm not just trying to throw that term around. It truly is an identity disaster.

Before yesterday, the Diamondbacks were at the top of my "Needs a Rebrand Now" list. Just refreshed it, and...yep, still there. Still right at the top.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'm not feeling these at all. The teal doesn't go with anything in that scheme whatsoever.

The only positive I can take away from this is that they changed the font. It actually looks decent now.

Their two color schemes are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, literally. They don't mesh at all. Either stick with the Arizona desert colors identity or go back to the original scheme.

sig.png

LOVE EM!

So what if they don't look like every other team in the Majors? The uniform is cutting edge and has personality. Ever other sport does it. And now so does MLB!

As cutting edge as Russell Athletic jerseys for the Little League World Series, anyway. Literally, Russell Athletic, the top-shelf sports supplier which currently gets its primary income from selling $15 workout shorts at Walmart (love the shorts, though), has been doing this on LITTLE LEAGUE uniforms for a few years now. Nothing cutting edge about this.

People want "outlandish?" The Marlins had a great chance to do that, but they messed up. They could have put tri-color stripes or piping on the pants and sleeves, huge neon shadows on all elements like the "M", but instead, they wear plain black hats and black jerseys. But them going "outlandish" would have at least made since within what they wanted to do and ended up half-assing. These Diamondbacks uniforms are uninspired, and the worst thing to ever see a major league field. I don't think it's particularly close.

They brought back the snakehead logo, which is cool.

They made the A the primary again, which is whatever. It's a decent logo, but they also could have come up with something original.

Everything else spans from bad, to comically awful, to horrendous.

The numbers are trash, and are clearly designed by Nike. Dated college garbage. And they match literally nothing else.

The hats are silly.

The number of alternates is just dumb.

Having collar striping intersect the raglan clown pattern is awful.

Once again, Nike is designing like an eight year-old. "THUR NAMED AFTER SNAKES SO WE SHUD PUT SCALES LIKE SNAKES WARE!" Yes, Nike, you know how to sublimate. There's nothing clever about that.

These uniforms scream "We're an awful franchise playing in a warehouse, and since our original owner was able to buy a championship in our fourth year of existence, we've been a joke. Fans don't particularly care to watch us play, and we don't particularly care to improve as a franchise. But the same people fondling themselves every time Division 4 Butte Fuch State gets an alternate gradient matte helmet will run out to buy our hats because they're not "tired" like the rest of MLB. So, that's all we've got."

This. A million times this. Sublimation and truncated stripes are nothing new. Cheap ass little league and slopitch brands have been using these awful trends since a while now. There's nothing revolutionnary about these except the fact that they're the first trying to shove this down MLB fans throats.

Paul Goldschmidt on the fact that theres 14 different uniform combos.... "I think it's pretty cool that as a fan you won't know what to expect when you come to the ballpark, kinda adds to it, not knowing what we're going to wear."

OMG IS HE SERIOUS????

Ah shoot. Paul's drank the kewl-aid.

No Paul, I SHOULD know what you're wearing when I show up to the ballpark. That's how a brand works. Or used to...

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

About the supposed teal... have we all realized how it's been lightened up so much that it borderline looks like a sky blue and, in the darkness and against the darkened gray it almost looks like a glow in the dark volt version of teal? Number one I don't like glowing volt feel to it and number 2, more importantly, how are you make a connection to a throwback color when it's not even the same color that you claim for it to be?

And throwing back to the era of purple and teal by not including purple is silly especially when they were a purple team with teal accents not the other way around. If they couldn't "bridge the two eras" by using purple (understandably so) then they shouldn't have done that "bridging of two eras" gimmick at all.

Archived