Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

I refuse to look too much into this ... and now I'm going to ..   the NFL tweeted out this photo of the first round picks -- the colors they chose for the backgrounds seem like interesting/odd choices, and I'm wondering if its a subtle hint to the color rush colors.   When the uniforms are unveiled lets circle back to this post and see...

Before anyone says otherwise, to me this doesn't appear to me to be just aesthetic choices.  Some teams have contrasting colors as their logo, some use the same color. It doesnt appear they tried to not put the same color next to eachother - which they may have tried to do so if this was just for purposes of designing the graphic (virtually the entire top row is gold/yellow or grey -- when there could be blue, red, teal, purple). 

Some teams have the same colors as existing uniforms, but many do not especially the ones that are a color besides white.  Many of them match up to that leaked color guide from a few weeks back.

notably I see grey for eagles, when it could easily be green or black,   red for the giants,    lime for the seahawks,  gold for the ravens, orange for the dolphins -- colors that you wouldnt normally say are the team's primary colors.

One thing I will say is that on most of them where there seemed to be a choice of color for the name/school area they used the darker.. which would explain the abundance of gold and grey in the main area. 

So - take it for whatever its worth but it is worth keeping an eye on this:

ChLtEvlU8AAAk5y.jpg large.jpg

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, goforbroke said:

I refuse to look too much into this ... and now I'm going to ..   the NFL tweeted out this photo of the first round picks -- the colors they chose for the backgrounds seem like interesting/odd choices, and I'm wondering if its a subtle hint to the color rush colors.   When the uniforms are unveiled lets circle back to this post and see...

But we can only say 'aha!' if they all match, otherwise it's just a coincidence. 

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

But we can only say 'aha!' if they all match, otherwise it's just a coincidence. 

and even then it will just be a coincidence haha    the color rush jerseys are almost certainly going to be a color that the team already uses anyway - with a few exceptions like alternate like the rams, a different shade like the jets, or if the raiders go gold.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

On 5/11/2016 at 1:46 PM, goforbroke said:

Before anyone says otherwise, to me this doesn't appear to me to be just aesthetic choices.  Some teams have contrasting colors as their logo, some use the same color. It doesnt appear they tried to not put the same color next to eachother - which they may have tried to do so if this was just for purposes of designing the graphic (virtually the entire top row is gold/yellow or grey -- when there could be blue, red, teal, purple). 

Some teams have the same colors as existing uniforms, but many do not especially the ones that are a color besides white.  Many of them match up to that leaked color guide from a few weeks back.

notably I see grey for eagles, when it could easily be green or black,   red for the giants,    lime for the seahawks,  gold for the ravens, orange for the dolphins -- colors that you wouldnt normally say are the team's primary colors.

One thing I will say is that on most of them where there seemed to be a choice of color for the name/school area they used the darker.. which would explain the abundance of gold and grey in the main area. 

I think it's simply that the main team color was used for the name/school/position box, and the team's secondary color was used for the background. The only ones where they switch it up are teams like Chicago, where the secondary color is the same as the logo, so they swapped them to make the logo more visible.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

On May 11, 2016 at 0:46 PM, goforbroke said:

Haha I'd say you're giving little to much credit to the designer. My experience working in the NFL would make be believe that this has nothing to do with Color Rush. 

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

1 hour ago, Matito said:

I think it's simply that the main team color was used for the name/school/position box, and the team's secondary color was used for the background. The only ones where they switch it up are teams like Chicago, where the secondary color is the same as the logo, so they swapped them to make the logo more visible.

Yeah, the darker color had to be used for the name and position box, because white text on lighter colors (the golds, yellows, oranges, silvers) looks terrible and lowers readibility.  The designer figured out the logos had to use lighter colors as a background.

Although there are plenty of orange text boxes...and the Panthers' text box is the lighter choice...

I do think, in the end, that it was mostly about readability.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't think it has to do at all with the color gimmick, it's just like a prevous poster said - they picked the "main" team color for the player's name (unless it was yellow or similarly bright) and an alt color that contrasts with the logo for the background.

Exceptions being Bears, Bengals, Falcons, and Browns where the main color was used behind the logo rather than the name, probably to provide better contrast.

A couple of other anomalies -

1.  They didn't use navy at all for the Chargers, even though using yellow behind the logo doesn't provide any contrast.  Should have used navy for the names, and light blue behind the logo.

2.  They used gold behind the Jags' logo, rather than teal.  Teal would have made much more sense IMO, even though gold is definitely their "second" color now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 3 weeks later...

We have another set of Color Rush rumors coming from reddit. I doubt it's correct, but I figure it's worth reporting just in case there is any truth to it. Link.

Week 2 kicks off the 2016 Color Rush with the New York Jets (White) @ Buffalo Bils (Red)

Week 3 Huston Texans (Steel Blue) @ New England Patriots (Red)

Week 4 Miami Dolphins (Coral) @ Cincinnati Bengals (Black)

Week 5 Arizona Cardinals (Red) @ San Francisco 49ers (Gold)

Week 6 Denver Broncos (Orange) @ San Diego Chargers (Powder Blue)

Week 7 Chicago Bears (Navy) @ Green Bay Packers (Yellow)

Week 8 Jacksonvile Jaguars (Gold) @ Tennessee Titans (Navy)

Week 9 Atlanta Falcons (Red) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Pewter)

Week 10 Cleveland Browns (Orange) @ Baltimore Ravens (Purple)

Week 11 New Orleans Saints (White) @ Carolina Panthers (Carolina Blue)

Week 12 - Thanksgiving will be a little different. Not just color rush, but throwback inspired color rushes.

Minnesota Vikings (Yellow) @ Detroit Lions (Red)

Washington Redskins (Maroon) @ Dallas Cowboys (Navy)

Pittsburgh Steelers (Black) @ Indianapolis Colts (White)

Week 13 Dallas Cowboys (White) @ Minnesota Vikings (Purple)

Week 14 Oakland Raiders (Black) @ Kansas City Chiefs (Yellow)

Week 15 LA Rams (Royal) @ Seattle Seahawks (Action Green)

Week 16 New York Giants (Red) @ Philadelphia Eagles (Black)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived