ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Say it with me...

OITGDNHL. 

???

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl-vegas/bill-foley-learning-valuable-lesson-selecting-team-name

Foley said despite the hiccups, the process is now moving quickly.

“We are in the final process of securing the name preferred by our Hockey Club and we have the league’s support,” Foley said in an email Thursday.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in an email Thursday the league is working with the team on its identity and has not had any objection from any of the other 30 NHL teams.

“We have been vetting a number of different names and identities,” Daly said. “None of our discussions have implicated or required any other club involvement.”

3 hours ago, BrianLion said:

"We have been vetting a number of different names and identities,” Daly said. “None of our discussions have implicated or required any other club involvement.”

Am I the only one getting that they might no longer be pursuing the Nighthawks out of this (maybe Knighthawks, knowing Foley's persistent erection for all things West Point)?

Or is that just me hoping because I'd rather that not be the name? I swear, nothing brought up by anyone with a connection to Foley has appealed to me. I know one guy in Vegas who likes Nighthawks, but hates that they'd likely wind up sharing a nickname with Chicago.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I love the sound of (K)nighthawks.

I personally would totally be down with that as a choice. It's tough, sleek, and has a nice ring to it.

There's a sense of danger and toughness to it, which I haven't seen from the other names bandied about.

I mean...call 'em the Knighthawks. Make the billionaire owner happy.

then over time, just as Avalanche became Avs and Lightning became Bolts, the locals'll start referring to them as "The Knights." Everyone "wins" in that scenario, right? 

43 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

I personally would totally be down with that as a choice. It's tough, sleek, and has a nice ring to it.

There's a sense of danger and toughness to it, which I haven't seen from the other names bandied about.

then over time, just as Avalanche became Avs and Lightning became Bolts, the locals'll start referring to them as "The Knights." Everyone "wins" in that scenario, right? 

Rochester of National Lacrosse League uses that moniker

6a00d83452399669e201a3fcb58b29970b-pi

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

9 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

I like how there's the built in double entendre of them representing the bird and the jet, but another, seedier way to look at Nighthawks would be that if you're roaming around the Vegas streets at night, look out for any hawks lurking around looking to take advantage of you. Probably not the connotation they're looking for, but I kinda like the gritty realism of it.

I can't create logos at all, but I think it would be pretty cool to combine the bird and jet imagery together. Maybe the crest could be just in the shape of the jet, but then the bird would be the main focus inside that jet outline. A secondary logo could include the "LVN" wordmark I mentioned earlier. I hate to sort of copy an idea from another team, but that LVN might work perfectly in a logo like the Coyotes use, putting the PHX, and now just AZ, within the shape of their state. Nevada has a similar, almost badge-like shape to it, so that could work too.

PhoenixCoyotesAlternate.png

1071NEW_2.jpg

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

16 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

It sounds good NYYNYR, but anything ".......Hawks" (KnightHawks, Red Hawks, NightHawks) will get shortened to 'Hawks on a regular basis.

I'm not sure it would be wise to have anything remotely close to one of the best identities in the NHL (Blackhawks).

The Toronto Blue Jays got shortened to the "Jays", much to the disappointment of their initial owners, Labatt's Brewing.

Their flagship beer is Labatt's Blue, and they had hoped the team would be referred to as the "Blues".

...Didn't happen.

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Desert Knights? 

I really hope not. Of all the names thrown out on this thread, Desert Knights might be my least favorite. That's the kind of move High Schools and Junior Colleges make.

"We should be the Knights!"

"Wait, it has no local ties and we live in a part of the US where they've never really been under a monarchy"

"We'll just throw Desert in front of it to make it feel local."

"Good idea! Party hats for everyone!"

Seriously, that name makes Wild and Blue Jackets sound inspired and genius.

Archived