MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

22 hours ago, hawk36 said:

How easy and improved would this have been?

pads2017yellow.jpg

22 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

It's so much better. It's amazing what a little yellow would have done to make it a good uniform. It's so obvious it's mind numbing they didn't do it.

Gorgeous, classic colors. Apart from the clusterf_ck in Milwaukee (they need to go with royal and yellow), navy and yellow is amazingly a unique combo in MLB at the moment. The Padres could have owned it. On top of that, it would have made a nice connection with the Chargers. 

I wonder what their rationale is with the new set. Are they trying to look like the Yankees and Tigers, but with modern script? Idk.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the thing... what incentive could there possibly be to go out and buy this thing?  Fans who bought the yellow/blue are probably going to feel ripped off and there's nothing about this that makes you want to rush out and buy anything given that A-it's boring as all hell and B-the cap has been in the rotation in some form for a while.  The ONLY rationale I can see here is that they're waiting for a true revamp when their young talent is ready to come up so that the redesign isn't going to be synonymous with the Wil Myers, Tyson Ross, Derek Norris, Yangervis Solarte, Hunter Renfroe era.

VmWIn6B.png

I don't post much here, but I wanted to add to the Padres pile-on.  We went out to San Diego this year. Beautiful park, gorgeous city, really a great experience.  We picked up the blue all-star hats (white "S", yellow "D" interlocking on the blue cap with the all-star game patch on the side).  Can't tell you how many compliments we've received.  It was a great hat and great color scheme.  Totally bewildered by the change.  

4 hours ago, LMU said:

Here's the thing... what incentive could there possibly be to go out and buy this thing?  Fans who bought the yellow/blue are probably going to feel ripped off and there's nothing about this that makes you want to rush out and buy anything given that A-it's boring as all hell and B-the cap has been in the rotation in some form for a while.  The ONLY rationale I can see here is that they're waiting for a true revamp when their young talent is ready to come up so that the redesign isn't going to be synonymous with the Wil Myers, Tyson Ross, Derek Norris, Yangervis Solarte, Hunter Renfroe era.

If fans feel ripped off, then they are pretty dumb. The Padres last year said that the jerseys were for one year only. There's no reason a fan should feel ripped off... well except the fact that the Padres keep telling people they are a Major League franchise.

7 hours ago, oddball said:

If fans feel ripped off, then they are pretty dumb. The Padres last year said that the jerseys were for one year only. There's no reason a fan should feel ripped off... well except the fact that the Padres keep telling people they are a Major League franchise.

Add Oakland to that list

:D

Someone mentioned something earlier that I thought was a great point about the Padres.

Last year when they announced the new Browns and the ASG home uniform, they did a big reveal at Petco with fans and announcers. It was all over the local news and newscasters were wearing the jerseys during the Sports segments, etc.

This year, they did an extremely tepid reveal over social media. There has been virtually no press over this other than negative organic press on SM criticizing the uniforms. Most revealing, the team has not even commented on the new uniforms in the press, whether on or off the record. All of this is extremely curious.

I believe this must be somehow related to the departure of Mike Dee (BTW, I am not saying this is why he was fired but I feel like there is some connection given how involved he was in all things marketing). These were submitted to MLB in May and then Dee was fired 5 months later probably as a result of the health records scandal.

I'm purely speculating, but I feel like current ownership finds itself stuck with these as they were so connected to Mike Dee. Given the overwhelming negative response and the fact that Dee is gone, I can't help but feel that these are a placeholder until a new CEO comes in and hopefully designs a sophisticated cohesive branding scheme going forward. That is my hope at least.

6 hours ago, Dra--- said:

It's absolutely true. Padres beat reporter Dennis Lin stated so in a UT Padres chat months ago.

Given what they just unveiled, the claim is pretty nonsensical.  We'll need context.  Where'd he hear it?  How reliable is the source?  If it indeed happened did they mean streamline the color scheme, the logo set, the number of uniforms, what?

On 2016-11-23 at 7:29 PM, Stu-BallsOmnicorp said:

I think you're overestimating how popular brown would be with young people. It seems that a lot of the people clamoring for Brown are a bit older and remember the Padres wearing brown. As someone in my mid-20s the Brown always feels a bit dated to me but maybe that's because I associate with the team's look in the 70s and 80s.

I'm in my late 20s. The Padres have been a blue team for as long as I've been paying attention to baseball. 

I prefer them in brown and yellow/gold.

It's mind boggling how they operate.

They announce new uniforms seemingly every year, but (with exception of last year with the yellow) they're basically the same as the previous ones just with some aspect removed.

Now, they have "new" home uniforms that will only be worn on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, while a throwback will be on Wednesday, brown on Friday, navy-man dress up on Sunday, and I forget what was on Saturday.

THen their "new" road uniform is just a non-urine version of one of their old road uniforms.  

They're among the least inspiring uniform sets in any of the major leagues - I just don't get what makes people in highly-paid positions give the green light to changes like this

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's mind boggling how they operate.

They announce new uniforms seemingly every year, but (with exception of last year with the yellow) they're basically the same as the previous ones just with some aspect removed.

Now, they have "new" home uniforms that will only be worn on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, while a throwback will be on Wednesday, brown on Friday, navy-man dress up on Sunday, and I forget what was on Saturday.

THen their "new" road uniform is just a non-urine version of one of their old road uniforms.  

They're among the least inspiring uniform sets in any of the major leagues - I just don't get what makes people in highly-paid positions give the green light to changes like this

People who paid a lot of money for degrees that taught them to fetishize focus group results. And who, as a consequence of that, think navy and grey is "classy" and "clean" because their studies showed that guys like to wear navy with khakis. 

On 11/25/2016 at 11:38 AM, Gothamite said:

It makes zero sense that removing gold in favor of blue and white alone was a directive from MLB.  When was the last time they objected to a two-color scheme?

Exactly.  Given that MLB allowed Arizona's current mess to happen there's no way they told SD they could or couldn't do something.

Archived