NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’d like these a whole lot better if they said “Portland” instead. “Rip City” grinds my gears.

For me, they are a solid 8.75/10. I'd like these a whole lot better if they increased the learning between rip and city. Right now, it reads as "ripcity". At the end of the day, they are still better than the blood clots, er, statement uniforms.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

The Blazers’ plaid uniforms look incredible in action, IMO:

DU63UQYXUAAh5hP?format=jpg

DU64uB_UMAE2xQg?format=jpg

Are CJ's socks new for this set? Those are awesome!! And I'm not one who really gives much interest towards NBA socks...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, Frylock said:

Are CJ's socks new for this set? Those are awesome!! And I'm not one who really gives much interest towards NBA socks...

Yes, they’re new. Each team has special socks to go with their City edition uniforms. You can see most of them here:

http://store.nba.com/search/nike city edition elite quick crew

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

well this is a good sign for those (me) who want the jazz to adopt this set full time.

"Jazz break arena store sales record with debut of new uniforms against Warriors"

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46249937&nid=304

Oh gosh, could you imagine if the Wolves wore their lime green jerseys against the Jazz?! Grab your sunglasses!

DR_nTbSVoAALA9F.jpg

EDIT: Also found this poll ... City is leading by a wide margin. I love these jerseys, I'm just not sold on it for a full-time look.

https://twitter.com/utahjazz/status/958817577500684288 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s a couple looks at Orlando’s City uniforms in action:

DU6QUtmX0AAs_WJ?format=jpgDU6QUteWsAAN-hJ?format=jpg

It's like one of those Walmart space shirts you can get for like $5. 

I smell a DIY Orlando Magic City Jersey project!

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

A couple more looks at the debut of the Blazers’ plaid uniforms tonight:

DU7LVYlX4AAlxHh?format=jpg

DU7OVG1W0AENGfR?format=jpg

I’ve said this before, but I really feel like they knocked it out of the park with this one. The plaid is nice, but the side stripes are probably my favorite part (they’re also probably the most underrated part). They obviously connect to the stripes in the city flag, but they’re also somewhat reminiscent of the side stripes on the ‘77 Championship uniforms as well. I think these uniforms could be a really good base for future alternates, both City and Statement. For the City, I think a white version would look pretty nice if they used the full color Rip City wordmark and used both black and red on the side stripes, and I’d like to see a new red Statement uniform in a couple years with the flag-inspired stripes just on the players’ right side of the uniform and a vertical wordmark as a tribute to the aforementioned ‘77 championship uniforms.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

26 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

A couple more looks at the debut of the Blazers’ plaid uniforms tonight:

DU7LVYlX4AAlxHh?format=jpg

DU7OVG1W0AENGfR?format=jpg

I’ve said this before, but I really feel like they knocked it out of the park with this one. The plaid is nice, but the side stripes are probably my favorite part (they’re also probably the most underrated part). They obviously connect to the stripes in the city flag, but they’re also somewhat reminiscent of the side stripes on the ‘77 Championship uniforms as well. I think these uniforms could be a really good base for future alternates, both City and Statement. For the City, I think a white version would look pretty nice if they used the full color Rip City wordmark and used both black and red on the side stripes, and I’d like to see a new red Statement uniform in a couple years with the flag-inspired stripes just on the players’ right side of the uniform and a vertical wordmark as a tribute to the aforementioned ‘77 championship uniforms.

Glad you explained this because before you did I wasn’t seeing the connection. Great alternate!

Wow, those Portland jerseys are sweet. It's going to be interesting to see how all of these City Jerseys evolve over the next couple of years. I sure hope the teams that half assed their jerseys this year will look at the Portland, Utahs and Orlandos (to name a few) for inspiration on how to do it right. 

kimball banner.png

16 hours ago, GMW79 said:

I agree. I didn't like the gray ones at first, and they still look a bit odd in photos, but in action they look alright. I never really got on board with the previous Motor City set, I but I really like this one (even if they don't have any of the team's standard colors).

The Utah unis turned out a lot better than I thought they would, and the floor looks great. My only nitpicks are that they should have gone with a true gradient, in my opinion, and that the uniforms took a bit of getting used to in terms of watchability. What I mean is that with the light shirts and dark shorts, its tough to decide if it's a light or dark uniform set (since it's both). It seems like opposing teams will need to stick to wearing white when playing against this set. Hopefully this opens the door for an eventual return of the purple mountain jerseys, and Utah gets a matching floor then, too.

Miami's Vice set is another complete deviation from the team's usual colors that actually works. I wouldn't mind a full time switch to that scheme, but drastic departures from tradition are usually a bad idea. Of course, Miami's baseball team has already done that, and the hockey team's latest change was major, as well.

I thought the pistons officially took navy out of their color scheme. I guess not?

I... was actually OK with the uniforms last night. 

Until I saw that the back of the shorts was solid black. From my height, it looked like they were wearing navy jerseys with black pants.

Eh. They're better than I thought, but I'm still not all-in.

ExJworW.png

8 hours ago, MGoBlue98 said:

I thought the pistons officially took navy out of their color scheme. I guess not?

They did, according to the specs on the website they used to announce the new logo last spring.

http://content.palacenet.com/content/logo/

I’m not a fan of either of their alts (statement or city), but I’ll admit the City looks a bit better in reality than it did in mockups. The statement I think would look better if it removed the thick blue stripe/piping around the shoulder cutouts to keep it in line with their regular home and away. But I’d still rather have the old 2000s red alternate back than either of those.

36 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I kinda think the City uniforms should have the city's name on the jersey. Call me crazy...

I don't mind a city nickname ... especially in Portland's case where the nickname, team and city are so interwoven. 

kimball banner.png

Archived