(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

That'll do it.

I agree with Morgo though, this playoff system is broken. The Caps, Pens, and Jackets, in that order, were the best teams in the NHL this season. It's a farce that two out of the three will be eliminated before the ECF. The previous system worked, and I just don't understand why they changed it back to the divisional playoffs. Frustrating for sure.

NSFCvyu.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Blue Jackets coulda pulled it off, but nope.

I feel so bad for the Beej for running into a brick wall that is the star-power-infused Pittsburgh Penguins team. Of all teams, it was the Blue Jackets again.

Agree 100% that the playoff seeding needs to return to 1vs.8, 2vs.7 etc. The NHL shoving this division rival crap down our throats is getting old HAS gotten old. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

1 minute ago, crashcarson15 said:

*whispers* the pens aren’t playing that great, guys

If everyone will allow me a moment as a homer...

Assuming the Leafs can make it past Washington? I wouldn't be fretting the Penguins. ESPECIALLY with Fleury in net.

12 minutes ago, Breakwood said:

That Radulov guy is pretty good.

It's such a shame that he was more trouble than he was worth, for the Preds. When the Habs announced his return, I knew that, as long as he had matured, they'd made a huge acquisition.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Looks like "Road Fleury" is alive and well.....

Of course, "Postseason Blue Jackets" is still kicking, too.

Pittsburgh looks beatable, but by the same token, it says something that you can not play your best and still be up 3-0 in a series against a team that had the 4th-best record in the league.

29 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

That'll do it.

I agree with Morgo though, this playoff system is broken. The Caps, Pens, and Jackets, in that order, were the best teams in the NHL this season. It's a farce that two out of the three will be eliminated before the ECF. The previous system worked, and I just don't understand why they changed it back to the divisional playoffs. Frustrating for sure.

Because Crosby and Ovechkin only met in the playoffs once under the old system.  If you can't get what you want then manufacture it, and competitive balance be damned.  

7 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Pittsburgh looks beatable, but by the same token, it says something that you can not play your best and still be up 3-0 in a series against a team that had the 4th-best record in the league.

That's what gives me confidence going forward. Fleury is inconsistent, but we have the players and coaching to overcome his occasional mishaps.

Need to have fewer of them to get past Washington though.

NSFCvyu.png

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

If everyone will allow me a moment as a homer...

Assuming the Leafs can make it past Washington? I wouldn't be fretting the Penguins. ESPECIALLY with Fleury in net.

If, IF, the Leafs were to miraculously get past the Caps, an advantage should be if the Pens finish off the Jackets early & are sitting around unable to stop daydreaming about the semis & final.

As for the bracket, I like the first round as it is, yet they've got to go back to the 2nd round best v worst etc.   To this day, I think the NBA is stupid for their bracket, & now the NHL is forming an unloved format era of its own.

Right now, 'penalizing' wild card teams unable to control geography is good, + I like first round division matchups.  Ditch it for the 2nd round.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Division winners get the 1 & 2 seeds from each conference, 3-8 ranked by points/record. Reseed after each round. Super simple stuff.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

Archived