Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

10 hours ago, Chromatic said:

When I hear someone speaking Canadian English drop "Mohn-Roy-Al Ca-Na-Dyun" with stank on it in the middle of an otherwise English sentence, its a bit pretentious to say the least. Rolling your 'r's when you order a burrito does not make you cultured.

I try to get my French Canadian place names as close as I can. I'm not gonna get caught saying Montry-All and Kwuh-Beck.

The French Canadian branch of my family tree came down from Trois-Rivieres, which sorta forces the issue. How do I not say that Frenchly? "Three Rivers"?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, hawk36 said:

All of this is even more reason to go the nuclear route and just say, fine NO NAME! We are Seattle. Period!

That would at least be preferable to a bad name that no one loves. 

The Seattle NHLers!

On 3/2/2020 at 7:27 PM, M4One said:

The first ever NHL team with a NBA Championship.

😂

6 hours ago, M4One said:

The Seattle NHLers!

The Seattle Six.

(Tampa Bay Nine was apparently one of the options considered when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays were working on their rebrand. It was owner Stuart Sternberg's personal favorite before they settled on Tampa Bay Rays.)

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

I try to get my French Canadian place names as close as I can. I'm not gonna get caught saying Montry-All and Kwuh-Beck.

The French Canadian branch of my family tree came down from Trois-Rivieres, which sorta forces the issue. How do I not say that Frenchly? "Three Rivers"?

My family is straight out of Montreal and I have a super French-Canadien last name but I pronouce it the English way. 

However, even when I introduce myself to people they still say my name the French way, I'd say close to 95% of my students pronounce it the French way even when they ask how I pronounce it. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

9 hours ago, M4One said:

The Seattle NHLers!

Seattle OITGDNHLers

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

15 hours ago, hawk36 said:

All of this is even more reason to go the nuclear route and just say, fine NO NAME! We are Seattle. Period!

That would at least be preferable to a bad name that no one loves. 

14 hours ago, IceCap said:

Nah. That's never going to fly in the Big Four of North American sports.

Seattle HC or HC Seattle. If they really wanted to troll us, instead of just HC, they could use the IHC--the ice hockey equivalent of association football's AFC.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

14 hours ago, Survival79 said:

The Seattle Six.

(Tampa Bay Nine was apparently one of the options considered when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays were working on their rebrand. It was owner Stuart Sternberg's personal favorite before they settled on Tampa Bay Rays.)

Furthering the argument for "Six" as an ice hockey team's nickname is the fact that Indianapolis has a professional men's soccer team known as Indy Eleven (with, it seems, no "the" in that name).

With that in mind, the presence of the word "Kickers" in the names of some soccer teams (mostly in Germany, with the United States a close second) has me wondering if an NHL team in Seattle or elsewhere could get by with "Shooters" as a nickname.

16 hours ago, Survival79 said:

😂

The Seattle Six.

OK why Six? Did I miss that? I like the sound of it though. 

13 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

Furthering the argument for "Six" as an ice hockey team's nickname is the fact that Indianapolis has a professional men's soccer team known as Indy Eleven (with, it seems, no "the" in that name).

With that in mind, the presence of the word "Kickers" in the names of some soccer teams (mostly in Germany, with the United States a close second) has me wondering if an NHL team in Seattle or elsewhere could get by with "Shooters" as a nickname.

Soccer's club naming conventions are very different than hockey's, so an abstract name like that would never be accepted. Besides, when people speak about the number of guys on the ice they generally don't count the goalie, so six wouldn't even make sense (i.e. "five-on-five" at even strength, "five-on-three" when one team has a two man advantage, "six-on-five" when a goalie is pulled).

And considering the culture around gun violence in North America, particularly in the States, there's no way a team would ever name themselves the Shooters. There's a reason Washington's NBA team changed from Bullets to Wizards.

8 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Seattle Six has a nice ring to it...What happens in overtime though? 😉

x1080

"Did you ever hear of the Seattle Seven?  Yeah.  That was me...and six other guys."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Here’s an interesting little picture from the team’s transit story on NHL.com. Obviously a (edit: Bruins) jersey but NHL Seattle has previously centered on black and red for most marketing materials... and yet here are green and gold sweaters. Could just be a nod to the Sonics/Storm, or maybe our first indicator of a change in colors?

spacer.png

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Here’s an interesting little picture from the team’s transit story on NHL.com. Obviously a generic jersey but NHL Seattle has previously centered on black and red for most marketing materials... and yet here are green and gold sweaters. Could just be a nod to the Sonics/Storm, or maybe our first indicator of a change in colors?

spacer.png

I honestly don't see that as being green and gold. Those are Bruins jerseys and it just seems to be that is just a really bad Photoshop job.

5 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Here’s an interesting little picture from the team’s transit story on NHL.com. Obviously a generic jersey but NHL Seattle has previously centered on black and red for most marketing materials... and yet here are green and gold sweaters. Could just be a nod to the Sonics/Storm, or maybe our first indicator of a change in colors?

spacer.png

Seattle BearBolts! (Thunderbears might sounds better, but I don't think if anyone in Seattle would wants to have a team with Thunder in name).

BTW last kid wear something that look like 1979-1984 Blues away sweater.

4r2eer.png

Archived