Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

The closer we get to the name reveal...

The more I hope that NHLSeattle has the balls, imagination and foresight to go with the big, bold, fun, unique, nautical, "Krāken".

This is satire right?

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

51 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

The more I hope that NHLSeattle has the balls, imagination and foresight to go with the big, bold, fun, unique, nautical, "Krāken".

Kraken is the single stupidest option, next to Totems. 

1 hour ago, sparky chewbarky said:

No thank you. Maybe for a future NLL franchise but definitely not for an NHL franchise.

1 hour ago, sparky chewbarky said:

... the more ridiculous the suggestions on this thread become.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

I'll still say Firebirds is worse, with a couple others roughly on par with Kraken.

Totems isn't my favourite but its better than most of the options they've put out.

I hold that Totems is the single-worst, because EDIT VIA MODERATOR IMPLEMENTATION. It's best to avert a Native American-themed name controversy than create a new one because somebody wanted a historical name.

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

"The closer we get to the unveiling"

Do we even have a date?

I was hoping we would find out by the Stanley Cup Finals but I think they might delay it until the Entry Draft if it's not announced by then.  

It took what?  4-5 months between the announcement and the name reveal for Vegas Golden Knights?  NHL Seattle was announced in December......2018.  

9 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I was hoping we would find out by the Stanley Cup Finals but I think they might delay it until the Entry Draft if it's not announced by then.  

It took what?  4-5 months between the announcement and the name reveal for Vegas Golden Knights?  NHL Seattle was announced in December......2018.  

It was hinted that we may see the identity revealed by the All-Star break, but that March was more likely. Then the story changed to "maybe in March but probably April." 

Makes me think someone got cold feet and they're all going over the name options again 😛

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

It was hinted that we may see the identity revealed by the All-Star break, but that March was more likely. Then the story changed to "maybe in March but probably April." 

Makes me think someone got cold feet and they're all going over the name options again 😛

I get that sense too, IceCap...Would love to be a "fly on the wall" throughout this process.

There's been a lot of stories that have come & gone.

There was the initial report earlier on, of local indigenous artist, Louis Gong, being contacted by the team (which would suggest a native name/look/theme).

There was the official questionnaire on the team's website, asking future fans what they'd like to see as a team theme.

Do they pay attention to that, or completely disregard those results?

There's been a revelation through the story (that got a lot of play) of how Seattle's totem poles came to be. Apparently they aren't indigenous to the region at all. They were imported from further north, as part of a "Gateway to Alaska' promo, in the early 1900's.

Talk about cultural appropriation...those facts alone, may have killed the Totems option.

More recently we have the trademark questions re: the Sockeyes name. A romance novelist owns the rights to that identity.

The Sockeyes are a fictional hockey team in her books.

The new Seattle XFL team describes its team name as a "mythical creature from the ocean"...and goes with... Dragons?

(Wouldn't "Krāken" fit that bill and be a great XFL name?)

...And then, in spite of being "officially" dead, SEVERAL times, the Krāken option keeps raising its ominous tentacle, (that's right IceCap...I said "tentacle"😛)

to the extent that K is leaked as the name. (Leaked my ass...that was a trial balloon).

I'm beginning to think (if its not Krāken), it'll be the safe, classic, least-polarizing, clean, green... "Evergreens".

7 hours ago, IceCap said:

Might have something to do with the recent leaks, perhaps. If they were going with "Kraken", perhaps the rather intense backlash from the RMNB leak caused them to reconsider the idea of naming the team that.

4 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

I'm beginning to think (if its not Krāken), it'll be the safe, classic, least-polarizing, clean, green... "Evergreens".

The colors from that recent leak (red, tealish-green, black) have very little to do with evergreen trees (I'd imagine that identity to be green/black/white or something, not red/tealish green/black); and while I doubt they go with Kraken, those colors are consistent with the branding we've seen from the Seattle team so far. They've been red and black from the outset, and they've had a tealish-green on the site for a while now.

Personally, I think that they'll go with "Sockeyes", just to keep the marine angle that Seattle sports teams have all leaned on while evading the comparisons to failed franchises (Sea Lions) or the inevitable slaughter of picking the name people have already torn to shreds (Kraken). It's locally-relevant, safe, easily-marketable and fun.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:48 PM, TaylorMade said:

Here is an unnerving thought:

How likely is it that the Seattle NHL club's owners are thinking of branding their team as the Seattle Renegades only because they have a standing offer from a prospective corporate sponsor to pay many millions of dollars to have the team go by that particular name?

One company that might be very willing to pay a professional sports team to be nicknamed the Renegades is the Jeep division of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, which sells a subcompact crossover sport utility vehicle under the Renegade name in the United States, Canada, and many other countries around the world.  Such a scenario, whether or not any of us likes it, has some historical precedent.  In 1994, the then-independent Chrysler Corporation (who had bought the previous builder of Jeep vehicles six years earlier) garnered deals for naming rights to two lower-tier pro sports teams -- the International Hockey League's Detroit Vipers (who played until the IHL's demise in 2001) and the Continental Indoor Soccer League's Detroit Neon (who played for three seasons before making a deal with General Motors to become the Detroit Safari for what proved to be that club's (and the CISL's) final season).

I can see it now ...

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Jeep Arena in Seattle, Washington ... the home of your ... Seattle ... Renegades!"

The arena's goal horn blares for a few seconds.  Then, large doors at one end of the rink are opened, and a Jeep Renegade painted in the home team's colors is driven slowly onto the ice.  The home team's players skate behind and then around the Renegade SUV ... all while the X Ambassadors song "Renegades" (which Jeep itself utilized in at least one US commercial for the first model year of the vehicle) plays over the arena's loudspeakers.

Regardless of what merits Renegades may or may not have in a vacuum as a nickname for a Seattle-based NHL team, a reliance on any separately owned corporate sponsor for the brand identity of a team playing in both a league of the NHL's stature and a city of Seattle's stature would reek of not only greed, but also a lack of self-respect and, maybe worst of all, a lack of creativity.  To me, at least, the basic message behind such branding would be "All of the good names that we can think of are already taken, are available but have been used before and therefore are damaged goods in our opinion, or are too politically incorrect, so let's let some big corporation name our team just about anything they want as long as they can give us enough money."

13 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I've went from being really excited to I just don't care anymore. I'll probably get into when/if the name and brand are ever unveiled but this has gone on too long. Poor form Seattle NHL.

I'm getting to that stage also, hawk. 

Never mind what the name will be...have they killed the buzz?

I'd say, as of now...YES. The discussion continues here, but elsewhere (Twitter, HF Boards, etc.) the speculation talk has dropped right off...zzzzzzzzz...

16 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

They've been red and black from the outset, and they've had a tealish-green on the site for a while now.

I never thought that I'd ever say this, but a salmon/sea-foam/black colour combo might not look too bad...

The downside is that you just know... you're gonna get salmon/sea-foam beer-leaguers...

spacer.png

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

How did you jump from Seattle updating a domain registration to the team being named through corporate sponsorship, by Jeep of all companies?

Not sure how he did but suddenly I want a big ol’ helicopter on the front of Chicago’s jerseys.

Archived