Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

18 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Salmon are known for their long, grueling journeys upstream. I think you can come up with tons of marketing ideas revolving around that, especially with toughness & endurance being signature characteristics of hockey players.

Aggressive behavior displayed by dominant males is predominantly directed towards intruding dominant males.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockeye_salmon#Competition

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they do go with some kind of fish, I hope the mascot bursts open its abdomen between periods and sprays "eggs" (canisters with t-shirts) all over the crowd.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

22 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Exactly; and the marketing possibilities with "Sockeyes" extend further then just a team name. The arena itself can get nicknames like "The Riverbed", the fanbase can be called "The Shoal", you can promote the team and it's players as having "the heart and endurance of a sockeye salmon swimming upstream", etc.

Besides, this looks plenty "fierce" enough to work as a mascot, and has enough aggressive qualities to work well for an NHL franchise;

spacer.png

Not an ounce of this is marketable at all, the team would get laughed at if they embraced any of that. The cultural significance is a decent enough argument, no need to go full tilt on the aquatic biology stuff.  

spacer.png

1 hour ago, TaylorMade said:

Yikes. Probably not significant, but have they paid any attention to the football league that is currently playing?

I’m pretty sick of teams trying to force fierce. I don’t get why Orcas (which are fierce and very relevant to the region), Seals or even Otters aren’t on the table.

Is anyone else worried they are starting to overthink this to the point where it will be something awful?

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Yikes. Probably not significant, but have they paid any attention to the football league that is currently playing?

The definition for Renegades is "a person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles."

If they wanna go that route, just call them the Traitors or Defectors and have their logo be a portrait of Benedict Arnold.

10 hours ago, CherryMX said:

If they do go with some kind of fish, I hope the mascot bursts open its abdomen between periods and sprays "eggs" (canisters with t-shirts) all over the crowd.

We could name the mascot “Milt Schmidt”...

I can haz sig?

On 2/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, Fresno St. Alum said:

I'm guessing no Metropolitans, because a team in a city w the Mariners doesn't want one of the their other teams called the Seattle Mets. Also the Metro conf in the NHL. It would be weird if the Nationals were in the AL and I don't think they'd go w Nationals if they were. So being named after a conf that isn't yours sounds wrong as well.

And what IF the Washington team was in the American League (it wouldn't be because of Baltimore, but nether the less) and they were called the Americans? Same thing.

Archived