Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Ugh, the get-along gang killed Sparky’s dream! 

You misspelled Buddy Bears.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

12 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I mean, I'd understand if this was about the logo and uniforms, but they can't even give us the name?

Because we all know that if they unveil a name without an identity, the only prize they’re going to get is endless negativity from people who don’t like that particular name, haven’t seen what they have to offer, and have no context for how they’re going to build around it. Why would they do that?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

11 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I mean, I'd understand if this was about the logo and uniforms, but they can't even give us the name?

Seattle has been overrun by coronavirus. Making an announcement about the hockey team's branding at this point could come off to many as being tone deaf. And even if that wasn't a concern, they want this to be a celebratory affair and not something lost in the noise of a pandemic.

I'm gonna cut them some slack. Yeah, they should've made the announcement before this. But now's not the time. 

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Seattle has been overrun by coronavirus. Making an announcement about the hockey team's branding at this point could come off to many as being tone deaf. And even if that wasn't a concern, they want this to be a celebratory affair and not something lost in the noise of a pandemic.

I'm gonna cut them some slack. Yeah, they should've made the announcement before this. But now's not the time. 

Tone deaf? Perhaps. Giving a reeling community something tangible to rally around? Also perhaps. The Seattle club could start immediately performing community outreach like the Knights did after the shooting. It would help if people knew what the hell to call them.

VmWIn6B.png

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Tone deaf? Perhaps. Giving a reeling community something tangible to rally around? Also perhaps. The Seattle club could start immediately performing community outreach like the Knights did after the shooting. It would help if people knew what the hell to call them.

Sure, but the timing is still off. Wait a bit, with the NHL on hold and everything going on there isn't really a rush. Its kind of hard to "rally around" something when nobody is leaving their house.

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Tone deaf? Perhaps. Giving a reeling community something tangible to rally around? Also perhaps.

It's also harder to sell merchandise if everybody in the city is quarantined into their homes, so it'd make little sense to drop the name in the midst of a pandemic that's currently overrunning the city.

Not sure how they will get a name released now for at least the next two months.  They should have released it back in November for the holiday season. I just got a Hat Club ad for a Kraken design... It is Mariner Colors... but still. You wait and what happens. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/286541595014006569/

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

On 3/17/2020 at 8:43 PM, Dynasty said:

God forbid the Seattle's nickname announcement get buried in the news by events that actually matter

6uXNWAo.png

20 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Sure, but the timing is still off. Wait a bit, with the NHL on hold and everything going on there isn't really a rush. Its kind of hard to "rally around" something when nobody is leaving their house.

I feel like it would be a welcome distraction for a lot of people. Look at the Tom Brady situation. People in Tampa Bay have something to be excited about, and even the mayor of Buffalo joked about people celebrating Brady leaving the division during a COVID press conference. While I've heard a couple takes from people who think the NFL offseason being business as usual isn't appropriate, most in the sports world are just happy to have something to talk about.

The Key Arena reconstruction delays seem to be a blessing in disguise when you think about how the team initially planned on hitting the ice this fall. Imagine if they had to have their inaugural game in an empty building.

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Key Arena reconstruction delays seem to be a blessing in disguise when you think about how the team initially planned on hitting the ice this fall. Imagine if they had to have their inaugural game in an empty building.

This fall? They're launching 21-22.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

16 hours ago, Cujo said:

God forbid the Seattle's nickname announcement get buried in the news by events that actually matter

4 hours ago, JayMac said:

I agree to a point but we could use any kind of distraction right now

It's not even that, they had plenty of time beforehand to unveil it. Someone pointed out that they may release them along with the new logo and uniforms, so that just might be it.

I'm aware that there is a pandemic going on, many are affected by it, and it's probably not the best time to unveil.

6 hours ago, kimball said:

This fall? They're launching 21-22.

When they originally submitted their bid for expansion they were hoping to begin in '20-'21, but the league wasn't confident that they'd finish the building on time so they got pushed to '21-'22.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, spartacat_12 said:

I feel like it would be a welcome distraction for a lot of people. Look at the Tom Brady situation. People in Tampa Bay have something to be excited about, and even the mayor of Buffalo joked about people celebrating Brady leaving the division during a COVID press conference. While I've heard a couple takes from people who think the NFL offseason being business as usual isn't appropriate, most in the sports world are just happy to have something to talk about.

I am in Tampa. Normally it would be exciting. 

It made almost no impact due to what is going on and i only saw one friend post anything about it. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have something of an identity: Team colors are blue and green, lining up with the Seahawks, Mariners and Sounders.

But a name, that's not looking too promising..... none of these are promising. And I LOVE hockey live ... I'm ready to go in with three guys on season tickets, but "Kraken" might chase me off ...........

spacer.png

wS7MJ6T.png

Archived