kimball

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't see how that's neat.  You don't see it unless you're actually on the court - and even then you'd have to squint.  Every single last aspect of this seems forced, and I don't see how as a whole, it honors Magic.  Maybe if it had his image in a sweatback design, or something depicting how he rips off low-income people in his community, 

Does adding "Los Angeles" to it have anything to do with Magic Johnson?

Maybe replacing that with "Magic", so it read "Magic Lakers" would be better, except it still sucks, and would be protested by Orlando.

I didn't notice it until I did. I found it neat. So that’s how. Everything else you mentioned? Spot on.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Digby said:

ff_3141398-cefb88ae9c2f6abc73ea_full.jpg

To me these are so close to the regular uniforms that it feels kinda pointless. I guess that's better than following the egregious out-there path of City uniforms.

Two major missed opportunities on these for me to make these more distinctive, if we're going to take inspiration from the 80s warmups:

- old serif wordmark

- contrast nameplate on the back

a la 

56411_01_lg.jpg

Plus the trim could have matched too. I don't understand why they didn't do that. 

22 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

To be fair, the Raptors & Blue Jays are the only Canadian teams in their respective leagues, so it does make some sense. Also, Winnipeg based their logo on the crest of the RCAF, which features a maple leaf with a blue circle around it, and Toronto's name is literally the "Maple Leafs", so they don't have much choice.

No excuse for Calgary though. They didn't even try to creatively incorporate it into their brand.

The thing about the maple leaf is that it is a uniquely Canadian symbol, whereas there are dozens of nations that use stars. The Clippers should have used the nautical flags instead. 

Yeah, those reasons do make sense. I didn't mean that there was anything wrong with it, just pointing out that Canadian teams use their national symbol too. And you're right about the leaf vs. start point. And the Flames.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

16 minutes ago, Froob said:

We all agree that Dallas’ is by far the worst though, right? Nobody here actually like those...?

It hits everything that I hate about the City program: off-brand colors, off-brand typefaces, a logo instead of a wordmark, utterly disposable,

and ugly as sin on top of it all.

50 minutes ago, logos are cool said:

Plus the trim could have matched too. I don't understand why they didn't do that. 

I'm guessing they used the solid trim a la the black jersey as another minor distinguishing thing from the regular whites. Which, yes, ironic, all things considered.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

12 hours ago, jus2damcrazey219 said:

I'd rather them be connected Lebron than look like Knick Jr.

Like the Heat look like Bulls Jr. and Mavs look like Magic Jr.? Not sure I understand your logic. The Knicks are not instantly connected to orange/blue. The Florida Gators would be the first team I would think of. With LeBron gone for good, I think Cleveland should embrace the Price/Daughtery/Nance era once again. They are a complete disaster right now.

You just made the Iron List!!

Iron List.png

Here’s a look at some of the City Edition warmups:

tlPiQ70.jpg

wpLUxju.jpg

H18w1vx.jpg

f24kypU.jpg

0d1imPB.jpg

All 30 of them can be seen on Fanatics and/or the NBA Store. I like the bigger logos on the chest of this year’s versions, but overall last year’s City warmups were better IMO since the side panels incorporated some of the designs from the actual uniforms.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, logos are cool said:

I think the solid arm trim is far too blocky and should have been replaced by the two-tone green/gold trim that is featured on the sides. The solid green makes this unbalanced.

And I agree that the serif "Celtics" would have been perfect here, similar to this:

da5737bbe8ec4e72b815524edad0a72a.png

patriotssignature.png

3 hours ago, logos are cool said:

100% agree. Thick one-color trim has become a staple of NBA uniform designs in recent years, and I don’t know why. It just looks so low-rent, like a bottom-tier replica.

It’s not even a Nike thing, either. The Bucks, for example, went in that direction with their latest set, and that was when adidas was still making NBA uniforms.

3 hours ago, logos are cool said:

I agree. The celtics  have a great historical look, so for the look you are talking about is a great idea for their city uniform.

sms.gif

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but it seems like teams might just wear their City uniforms on Christmas.

Drlo_OMUcAYmY3S.jpg

Kind of strange that Nike would add superfluous sets like the "Earned" uniforms but then get rid of the Christmas jerseys. I guess they're trying to force new corporate traditions while eschewing cultural ones?

34 minutes ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but it seems like teams might just wear their City uniforms on Christmas.

Drlo_OMUcAYmY3S.jpg

Kind of strange that Nike would add superfluous sets like the "Earned" uniforms but then get rid of the Christmas jerseys. I guess they're trying to force new corporate traditions while eschewing cultural ones?

Here’s all of the Christmas Day matchups:

zocVdVS.jpg

The teams that made the playoffs last year and are playing on Christmas are debuting their Earned sets that day (with the exception of the Thunder and Blazers because of color contrast issues with their opponents). The Knicks and Lakers are likely wearing their City sets because Nike, the league, and both teams wanted to at least showcase the new City sets on Christmas Day rather than just wearing their “regular” uniforms or even their Statement sets.

Also, since LockerVision still has all of the Earned editions labeled as white, here’s the actual color matchups of all of the Christmas games:

Knicks (navy City) vs. Bucks (grey Earned)

Rockets (red Earned) vs. Thunder (navy Statement)

Celtics (green Earned) vs. 76ers (white Earned)

Warriors (yellow Earned) vs. Lakers (purple City)

Jazz (green Earned) vs. Blazers (white Association)

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived