Quirkiest Jersey Elements

Bruins

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The White Sox wore numbers on their pants not only for the 1980s softball jerseys, but also for the traditional button-downs that followed them from 1987 to 1990.

The Chicago Wolves used to have reflective material in the eyes on their crest. And this was in the '90s, long before weird materials became the norm.

Many linemen on the Chicago Bears used to have visible lines across the shoulders of their jerseys, from reinforcements that were stitched in.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5067-12Fr.jpg DCDokPPVYAAe3Ia.jpg

The Sabres 1970-96 white jersey had the exact same thickness in striping and pattern, but the arm stripes and the tail stripes are reversed. Even in the very original versions of the sweater, where the striping pattern is thinner. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

That Sabres jersey is beautiful but I think it would be better if both the sleeves and the hem were blue/yellow/blue. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I knew the Angels had an "LA" hat with a halo, but didn't know about the "CA" hat...

That was a pretty brilliant little part of the uniform.  I'm not sure I'd want it to come back full time, but I'm surprised they've never done that to a BP cap or something.

One quirk that I though was just "quirk for quirk's sake" was the angled stripes on the first flames jerseys to feature black.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Flames/FlamesCGY03.html

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 hours ago, Morgo said:

Glacier twill was unique and appropriate for the Avalanche.  The Penguins would follow suit for their alternate a few years later but Colorado was the first.

YryxgGE.jpg

Not twill related, but the Islanders used that same exact font (which looks pretty Avalanchey) for their A in 1995-96, and maybe the start of the 1996-97 season (the patch year below), but changed the font of that one letter perhaps mid-season?

season-zigmund-palffy-of-the-new-york-is

jan-1997-zigmund-palffy-of-the-new-york-

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Isles also used glacier twill for the Fisherman jerseys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

21 hours ago, insert name said:

I wanna say the Rangers were the first team to have this style.

The Rangers weren't even the first team in New York to do it. The New York Americans had their team name on the front the season before the Rangers started playing.

49 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

The Isles also used glacier twill for the Fisherman jerseys.

And the Penguins used it at least until the early 2000s. I've never seen a 2002-2007 jersey in person before, and I don't know if they used it on their first Edge jerseys, but the throwbacks don't use glacier twill.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived