XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The New York helmet logo is great.  But the logo doesn't really stand out on the black helmet.  The helmet, when you look at it, appears simply to have three stripes.

Image result for new york guardians helmet

You have to stare pretty intensely in order to make out the lion's face.

To be honest, I didn’t have a problem making it out at first and still don’t. I can see the face just fine. That’s just me, though. *shrug*

• Like 8

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I am a Seattle fan, so I will enthusiastically support Jim Zorn and the Dragons. But I can't support my team looking like the Denver Broncos. Please put away the blue and orange pants and wear the white pants with green stripe home and away. It will look better with the white helmet anyway. 

On 12/8/2019 at 12:30 PM, Tygers09 said:

Since when have we become a bunch of Tim Gunn's? LOL!!

On 12/8/2019 at 12:43 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Since 2003?

Since 1999, actually.  Chris migrated to a new platform in 2003 that forced us to create new user accounts, but many of us have been posting here for a long, long time.

• Like 5

On 12/5/2019 at 7:03 AM, Volt said:

Looking at this again today, it irks me even more how similar all of the number fonts are.  Amateur hour!

I think it's the 0s that make it the most obvious. The opening of the O seem to be the same general height and dimensions. In the Nfl and college, many 0s have their own character. These do feel too closely related. 

8 hours ago, MattMill said:

I think it's the 0s that make it the most obvious. The opening of the O seem to be the same general height and dimensions. In the Nfl and college, many 0s have their own character. These do feel too closely related. 

I've never worked in apparel, but when you see something like this you have to assume that whoever is manufacturing the uniforms gave dimensions to the league and all the numbers had to be designed within those dimensions. 

What surprises me about the 8 teams is that with this small a league they could not avoid duplication in several elements of design:

1. 2 teams with black helmets.  NY could have had a grey helmet, or LA could have done something like a phased color helmet (See Memphis of AAF)

2. Three teams with black jerseys.  Dallas could easily have had a blue jersey with black yoke.  LA could also go with a red or orange jersey.

3. Houston, LA, Tampa and Seattle all use the sleeve color + matching side panel format.   Only 1 team with a colored yoke and no teams with traditional sleeve stripes.

4.  No teams with unique patterns like the Atlanta Falcons sleeve/shoulders, or unique side stripes like we saw in the AAF. 

I just think that with only 8 teams you should be able to have 8 very unique looks instead of some template/cookie cutter designs. 

That said, none of the teams is horrible, just not as original as I would like (and some individual elements do not work for me, like Houston's helmet logo tilting to the left too much.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GFB said:

I've never worked in apparel, but when you see something like this you have to assume that whoever is manufacturing the uniforms gave dimensions to the league and all the numbers had to be designed within those dimensions. 

I work in custom uniforms, and the only restriction is typically numerical height, which is often governed by a governing body such as the NFHS or NCAA - they dictate minimum number sizes on uniforms (along with plenty of other things) and the manufacturers typically set their templates to those specs.  Nike, for example, has a dozen or so number fonts, and the height will typically be 10" front numbers and 12" back, but the overall width of the number will vary by the actual font style; the over-popular Michigan State font, for example, is much wider than their Full Block font.  I'm sure there are more general width specs, but these XFL numbers are really dainty and skinny.  Someone super unimaginative did this (as can be confirmed by looking at the uniform design in general).

As another poster just pointed out....not one team used traditional sleeve stripes, one of the most timeless and iconic football jersey elements they could've used. They avoided these on purpose.  

4 hours ago, OchentaYOcho88 said:

The Wildcats have already made a change, going with black facemasks instead of orange. Looks way better. 

Definite downgrade.  I wonder if this is for practice only.  The Orange mask at least made this much more of a unique helmet and minimized how horrific that stripe decal is.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Volt said:

Definite downgrade.  I wonder if this is for practice only.  The Orange mask at least made this much more of a unique helmet and minimized how horrific that stripe decal is.

If they were having an issue with the coloring clashes I can see why they'd go with black. What they really should have changed was the side panels.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If they were having an issue with the coloring clashes I can see why they'd go with black. What they really should have changed was the side panels.

These look like a super bush league high school now.  The Orange mask at least gave it some sort of a custom, major league finish.

My guess is they didn't have enough made and maybe they are ordering more.  Instead of mixing & matching for the player helmets they had now, maybe they pulled the Black that they acquired from the AAF and are just using them temporarily.  Hopefully the Orange mask returns but that custom paint can take a minute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Volt said:

These look like a super bush league high school now.  The Orange mask at least gave it some sort of a custom, major league finish.

My guess is they didn't have enough made and maybe they are ordering more.  Instead of mixing & matching for the player helmets they had now, maybe they pulled the Black that they acquired from the AAF and are just using them temporarily.  Hopefully the Orange mask returns but that custom paint can take a minute.

Major League Football got all of the AAF gear. Black facemasks are pretty easy to get shipped immediately in place of a custom color mask.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I gotta say that I thought the orange facemasks looked horrible.  I prefer the black on black look.  Still doesn't fix the helmet stripe (just bad design), but not much could.  My concern now, looking at this picture, is that the red looks more like orange and the orange looks more like yellow.  Black-red-orange can work as a color scheme.  Not sure Black-orange-yellow works at all. 

• Like 1