Bucfan56

2018 MLB Season

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, LMU said:

The Angels under Moreno can be looked at in two categories: dumb acquisitions and dumb trade castoffs (more can be added).

 

ACQUISITIONS

*Pujols

*Hamilton

*Wells

*Matthews

 

TRADES

*Napoli (and the irrational obsession with Mathis)

*Segura

*Trumbo (and the irrational apprehension towards shifting him to 3B)

 

The other glaring issue is notice how none of the players listed here are pitchers.

 

There's no dumb acquisitions of pitchers because they haven't spent money to go get pitchers. You could say dumb non-acquisitions. Not paying Zack Greinke. Trading Dan Haren for spare parts. There were numerous other guys they were rumored for that they never landed in free agency or trades For the bad acquisitions, you could make a pile of CJ Wilson, Joe Blanton, Brian Fuentes, Ernesto Frieri, what used to be Garrett Richards. Huston Street was okay.

 

And while all those field signings and trades are pretty bad, the major problem that has simply never been addressed is lackluster pitching staff and bullpen.

 

Moreno's purchase of the team from Disney went through in May 2003. There was definitely early success, winning the West 5 of 6 seasons between 2004-09, only missing in 2006 with an 89 win team. Since then, one playoff appearance in eight seasons (a 3-game sweep to KC). Three different full-time GMs over those 8 seasons. The constant illusion of contention, but no substance to any of it. The only real constants are Moreno and Scioscia, and you can't get rid of either. You can't fire the owner, and Scioscia seems to have ultimate veto power.

 

The Angels are stuck, wasting Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani, and I don't know if they're ever going to do much about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

The other glaring issue is notice how none of the players listed here are pitchers.

 

There's no dumb acquisitions of pitchers because they haven't spent money to go get pitchers. You could say dumb non-acquisitions. Not paying Zack Greinke. Trading Dan Haren for spare parts. There were numerous other guys they were rumored for that they never landed in free agency or trades For the bad acquisitions, you could make a pile of CJ Wilson, Joe Blanton, Brian Fuentes, Ernesto Frieri, what used to be Garrett Richards. Huston Street was okay.

 

And while all those field signings and trades are pretty bad, the major problem that has simply never been addressed is lackluster pitching staff and bullpen.

 

Moreno's purchase of the team from Disney went through in May 2003. There was definitely early success, winning the West 5 of 6 seasons between 2004-09, only missing in 2006 with an 89 win team. Since then, one playoff appearance in eight seasons (a 3-game sweep to KC). Three different full-time GMs over those 8 seasons. The constant illusion of contention, but no substance to any of it. The only real constants are Moreno and Scioscia, and you can't get rid of either. You can't fire the owner, and Scioscia seems to have ultimate veto power.

 

The Angels are stuck, wasting Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani, and I don't know if they're ever going to do much about it.

And to think that the ace of the World Series year was Jarrod freaking Washburn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LMU said:

And to think that the ace of the World Series year was Jarrod freaking Washburn.

 

Jarrod Washburn, Ramon Ortiz, Kevin Appier, Aaron Sele and rookie John Lackey starting Game 7. Scott Schoeneweis started 15 games that season too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LMU said:

The Angels under Moreno can be looked at in two categories: dumb acquisitions and dumb trade castoffs (more can be added).

 

ACQUISITIONS

*Pujols

*Hamilton

*Wells

*Matthews

 

TRADES

*Napoli (and the irrational obsession with Mathis)

*Segura

*Trumbo (and the irrational apprehension towards shifting him to 3B)

 

PROSPECTS THAT AMOUNTED TO NOTHING

*Brandon Wood (sorry for even mentioning his name)

*Dallas McPherson

*Trevor Reckling

*Jose Arredondo...I'm pretty sure he played in York, Pennsylvania last year. Strangely enough, K-Rod, the guy he was supposed to replace, is now in that same league.

*Does Jeff Mathis count? He's still in the league, but he still sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shumway said:

 

PROSPECTS THAT AMOUNTED TO NOTHING

*Brandon Wood (sorry for even mentioning his name)

*Dallas McPherson

*Trevor Reckling

*Jose Arredondo...I'm pretty sure he played in York, Pennsylvania last year. Strangely enough, K-Rod, the guy he was supposed to replace, is now in that same league.

*Does Jeff Mathis count? He's still in the league, but he still sucks.

 

Brandon Wood, oh my god, :censored: that guy...

 

Also, HOW is Jeff Mathis still in the league. I genuinely don't understand that. He pitched and earned the loss for the DBacks in that 16-inning Padres game over the weekend. He hit .195 and .174 in his final two seasons with the Angels in 2010-11. He's since hit .218, .181, .200, .161, .238, .215 and is hitting .182 this season. Again, I ask, HOW is Jeff Mathis still playing major league baseball. (He's also hit .379 in 13 playoff games. Wait, what?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2018 at 12:29 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

Yep. When the Brewers are the BEST team in the National League you know the league is on fire!

Fixed that for ya buddy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange because Moreno was loved when he bought the team. The fanfare he got made it seem like the previous owner was Donald Sterling. He got a lot of positive press coverage for lowering beer prices! Vlad and Torii Hunter! Then came the team name change, threatening to move to Irvine (?), Josh Hamilton...and this is where we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

Brandon Wood, oh my god, :censored: that guy...

 

Also, HOW is Jeff Mathis still in the league. I genuinely don't understand that. He pitched and earned the loss for the DBacks in that 16-inning Padres game over the weekend. He hit .195 and .174 in his final two seasons with the Angels in 2010-11. He's since hit .218, .181, .200, .161, .238, .215 and is hitting .182 this season. Again, I ask, HOW is Jeff Mathis still playing major league baseball. (He's also hit .379 in 13 playoff games. Wait, what?)

Scioscia has always been obsessed with (very) below average to below average offensive catchers who are decent defensively.  Doesn't explain how Mathis is still employed but he fit the Scioscia mold.  Hell, he may have shoved guys behind the plate to compensate for the extremely average pitching staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shumway said:

 

PROSPECTS THAT AMOUNTED TO NOTHING

*Brandon Wood (sorry for even mentioning his name)

*Dallas McPherson

*Trevor Reckling

*Jose Arredondo...I'm pretty sure he played in York, Pennsylvania last year. Strangely enough, K-Rod, the guy he was supposed to replace, is now in that same league.

*Does Jeff Mathis count? He's still in the league, but he still sucks.

I forgot Casey Kotchman (who landed Teixeira, which got Trout. Thanks, Casey) and Hank Conger in this list. For a team who routinely had one of the best farm systems, for a few years, very few homegrown talents turned into anything outside of some starting pitchers (Weaver, Ervin, Richards, Joe Saunders was ok)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shumway said:

I forgot Casey Kotchman (who landed Teixeira, which got Trout. Thanks, Casey) and Hank Conger in this list. For a team who routinely had one of the best farm systems, for a few years, very few homegrown talents turned into anything outside of some starting pitchers (Weaver, Ervin, Richards, Joe Saunders was ok)

Hammerin' Hank was a victim of Scioscia Ball.  He had erratic playing time due to his lack of perennial Gold Glove potential and then got buried on the Astro roster.

 

We can add a couple more categories to this conversation

 

GRITTY FAN-FAVORITE GUYS WHO REALLY SUCKED COME TO THINK OF IT

Jeff DaVanon

Reggie Willits

Robb Quinlan

Alfredo Amezaga

Maicer Izturis (perhaps a little unfair but he fits the mold)

Chone Figgins (See: Seattle)

Alexi Amarista

Peter Bourjos

JB Shuck

Grant Green

Collin Cowgill

Johnny Giavotella

 

WAY OVER THE HILL STOPGAPS

Hideki Matsui

Steve Finley

Andres Galarraga

Raul Mondesi

Russell Branyan

Bobby Abreu (at least he had a couple decent years)

Raul Ibanez

David DeJesus

Shane Victorino

 

Oh, and throw in Matt Joyce with the failed acquisitions.

 

(God, no wonder my wife had no resistance pulling me to the Dodgers)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shumway said:

*Dallas McPherson

 

But he was a beast in MVP Baseball 2005 so I'd say he reached his potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

Brandon Wood, oh my god, :censored: that guy...

 

Also, HOW is Jeff Mathis still in the league. I genuinely don't understand that. He pitched and earned the loss for the DBacks in that 16-inning Padres game over the weekend. He hit .195 and .174 in his final two seasons with the Angels in 2010-11. He's since hit .218, .181, .200, .161, .238, .215 and is hitting .182 this season. Again, I ask, HOW is Jeff Mathis still playing major league baseball. (He's also hit .379 in 13 playoff games. Wait, what?)

 

An awfully large part of that has to be the number he did on Yankee pitching during the 2009 ALCS. He had, what, at least four extra base hits during that series including a walk-off winner. He was a pain in the ass that series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know its probably not something you would typically hear from a Cardinals fans...I hope the Cubs catch the Brewers and win the NL Central. It bothers me that a usually crap organization is at the top out of nowhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

 

An awfully large part of that has to be the number he did on Yankee pitching during the 2009 ALCS. He had, what, at least four extra base hits during that series including a walk-off winner. He was a pain in the ass that series.

 

I was there for that walk-off winner ;) (to which my reaction was... Holy :censored: Jeff Mathis?!?)

 

Man that is a list of names, LMU. Whimsically nostalgic while also maddening and sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LMU said:

GRITTY FAN-FAVORITE GUYS WHO REALLY SUCKED COME TO THINK OF IT

 

Maicer Izturis (perhaps a little unfair but he fits the mold)

Chone Figgins (See: Seattle)

 

I loved Maicer. As a backup/utility guy, he was great.

 

...and this sits on my shelf right next to Jim Edmonds (Cardinals), Howie Kendrick (Dodgers) and Mike Trout bobbleheads. Chone was the man. Dude got MVP votes 2 years in a row.

0024-chone-figgins-bobble_grande.jpg?v=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I know its probably not something you would typically hear from a Cardinals fans...I hope the Cubs catch the Brewers and win the NL Central. It bothers me that a usually crap organization is at the top out of nowhere. 

Yeah, I know it is probably tough for you. The Brewers haven't been terrible since they finally got back to the Post Season in '08 and won the division in '11. They've were on the cusp, but couldn't put it all together. So Attanasio kinda looked south and studied how the Cubs went into rebuild mode without creating a dumpster fire for a few years. Hired Stearns away from a World Series champion team in the Astros, and he quickly got to work. That process got here a lot more quickly than expected. To call the Brewers a crap organization, is an oversight. Brew Crew Nation isn't alive and well, and damn near selling out Miller park every night because they are a crap organization. I would actually say they are one of the classiest in MLB. And me and the entire Crew Nation around the world, some of the most down to earth, cool, calm, collected, and knowledgeable. #ThisIsMyCrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Olmec said:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/07/10/rays-reveal-ybor-city-stadium-details/

 

Rays' new stadium proposal revealed today:

Translucent roof, $892 million price tag

AR-307109691.jpg?MaxW=950&cachebuster=88

 

 

Quote

"Now, I know the people here are going to want to know who's paying how much for what. We do not have those answers yet. What we have is the scope of the project and the total cost for that project." - Team President Brian Auld

 

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

 

 

:rolleyes:

Most teams haze the rookies by wearing them dress up or grab Starbucks outside of Wrigley.  The Rays'll haze rookies by making them panhandle for stadium funds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.