Alliance of American Football - Team Names and Logos

WideRight

I like everything here except for the Iron name. That’s just bland. Ironmen would’ve been better. The logos are solid, and the identities seem to be relevant to the markets so that’s a plus. Except for maybe Atlanta. Is that an MLK reference?

The best part so far is the color variety. I really don’t see anything that is offensive or just bad, but we still have four left. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lee Noire said:

I like everything here except for the Iron name. That’s just bland. Ironmen would’ve been better. The logos are solid, and the identities seem to be relevant to the markets so that’s a plus. Except for maybe Atlanta. Is that an MLK reference?

The best part so far is the color variety. I really don’t see anything that is offensive or just bad, but we still have four left. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

I agree with the color variety. Blues and Reds are not widespread. 

16 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Buy certain AAF things as an investment rather than something to wear.

16 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Flash forward 25 years.  Over time I've sold about 30, maybe 35% of the haul from that day, mostly to other collectors in private transactions, occasionally selling a one-off item via eBay for sake of establishing its general market value.  Thanks to that investment I've thus far been able to make a down payment on (my first) house and fully furnish it, cover some serious medical bills my wife and I have encountered over the years, and back before we had kids take annual (and sometimes semi-annual) 10-day gambling excursions to Las Vegas.  The rest, along with my USFL materials, are my "retirement fund" and should I never retire, my financial legacy to my kids.  

*Note:  this doesn't always work, however.  Original XFL stuff, save the white-lace balls?  Never did appreciate in value.

That’s the difference between a major league and a fly-by-night startup that will likely be forgotten in 25 years.

Anybody thinking their pile of AAF merchandise will be in any way relevant to their retirement better hope that they will be able to eat it. 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

That’s the difference between a major league and a fly-by-night startup that will likely be forgotten in 25 years.

Anybody thinking their pile of AAF merchandise will be in any way relevant to their retirement better hope that they will be able to eat it. 

Maybe yes, maybe no.  But my pile of USFL stuff seems to be doing quite well for me financially whenever I sell any of it, and my XFL stuff went really quickly save one piece that I'm holding out for top dollar on.

nav-logo.png

On 9/20/2018 at 5:00 PM, andrewharrington said:

I think I disagree, one, because you can’t trademark the form of the letter, and two, I don’t think one 50th anniversary season would be enough to convince a court that the NFL is actively using the mark. I don’t even think there’s even enough market awareness of the AFL brand to make a case that this causes market confusion, and this coming from someone who instantly thought of the AFL when I saw that mark.

Has anybody in this thread watched a Kansas City Chiefs game this decade?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

Maybe yes, maybe no.  But my pile of USFL stuff seems to be doing quite well for me financially whenever I sell any of it, and my XFL stuff went really quickly save one piece that I'm holding out for top dollar on.

This league seems closer to the UFL and FXFL. Is there a market for that stuff?

On 9/20/2018 at 11:03 AM, NYC Cosmos said:

Atlanta Legends? Lame. Who with the Falcons is/was a legend? Matt Ryan? Tommy Nobis? 

Memphis Express? The NBA would not allow the Grizzlies to use that name. No doubt a partnership with FedEx.

Birmingham Iron? Anyone remember the Birmingham Vulcans?

Orlando Apollos? Ugh. Didn't work so well for the NASL team, did it?

And who on the Falcons were birds?

If Canton and Lexington can have Legends, so too can Atlanta.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:03 AM, NYC Cosmos said:

Orlando Apollos? Ugh. Didn't work so well for the NASL team, did it?

Yeah, file that one away with other irredeemable failures of pro soccer team names, like the Denver Avalanche!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

After digesting these logos and names for a few days, they're still lame and weak.

Nothing to really get exited about, almost generic and PC driven.  

Birmingham Vulcans

Orlando Thunderbolts

Atlanta Leopards

Memphis Phaoroahs

All would've been better and generated more excitement? Express?  Too corporate and

generic.

San Diego Armada

Arizona Blazers

Utah Pioneers

San Antonio Stallions

25 minutes ago, Soblito said:

After digesting these logos and names for a few days, they're still lame and weak.

Birmingham Vulcans

Orlando Thunderbolts

Atlanta Leopards

Memphis Phaoroahs

All would've been better and generated more excitement? Express?  Too corporate and

generic.

San Diego Armada

Arizona Blazers

Utah Pioneers

San Antonio Stallions

How are they “PC driven”?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How are they “PC driven”?

I had the same question.  I assume he is saying that because they did not go with XFL-style names (Maniax, Hitmen, Demons, Xtreme) that it is bowing to some amorphous PC police.  I would say that Ebersol sees that aspect of the XFL as one of its main problems (turned off those who were not WWF fans by being crass) so he is avoiding anything that smacks of crass or low-brow entertainment.  I cannot imagine that they specifically avoided animal names per se, just felt that these were more linked to aspects of local culture (certainly Iron and Apollos, less so with Express and Legends).

On 9/20/2018 at 10:18 AM, Soblito said:

Just read that four names and logos have been announced: Memphis Express, Orlando Apollos, 

Birmingham Iron and Atlanta Legends...

Pretty weak! They don't pop. They're PC names. 

Should've been something fans can sink their teeth into, names

that have some character. 

Memphis Pharaohs

Orlando Thunderbolts 

Atlanta Leopards

Birmingham Bulls

For the others, how about:

San Antonio Stallions

San Diego Armada

Utah Pioneers

Arizona Outlaws 

On 9/21/2018 at 5:52 PM, Soblito said:

Frankly, these names are lame and the logos are weak. It's almost as if being PC was their

foremost goal. They look like they belong in the WNBA.

There's really nothing to sink your teeth into with these. They missed the mark on these.

I would've gone with something with just a little more attitude, but not as much as the XFL had.

Birmingham Bulls or Vulcans

Atlanta Leopards or TrailBlazers

Orlando Ospreys or Thunderbolts

Memphis Pharaohs or Showboats

San Antonio Stallions or  Wranglers

Phoenix Firebirds or Arizona Outlaws

Utah Pioneers or Golden Spikes

San Diego Armada or Destroyers

Legends, Apollos, Express and Iron are just blah, no pop to them..

1 hour ago, Soblito said:

Birmingham Vulcans

Orlando Thunderbolts

Atlanta Leopards

Memphis Phaoroahs

generic.

San Diego Armada

Arizona Blazers

Utah Pioneers

San Antonio Stallions

I think we got it the first time.

spacer.png

Archived