Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

8 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

The 1993-2002 Marlins wordmark is awesome.

Well, it’s much better than the 2003 version, that’s for sure.  But that’s a pretty low bar. 

There is an appropriately aquatic theme to this, I’ll admit.  Very bold of them to deliberately evoke seasickness. ?

nhxgew6ey8mdw48h5vbavjng4.png

The mark is so desperately a product of the 1990s.  “Look, they invented Warp in Illustrator!”   There are little things I hate about it, like now the tail follows the curve of the letters precisely until the very end when it doesn’t.  There are big things I hate about it, like the M we knew they would eventually try to isolate and the too-clever trick of making the s an underscore tail, distorting the letter itself into an underbite nightmare.

I truly appreciate the nostalgia people can have for their old team’s logo, but beyond that I’m not sure this mark good for much beyond a bit of 90s kitch.   I think the Marlins needed an update when the name was changed, it’s just a shame that the update was poorly conceived.  Maybe now Jeter & Co can fix that. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original road wordmark was pretty good:

gq8migeejsjjfgm6gnlpd57kl.png

Some cramping issues with the kerning at the end.  Since you can’t tighten FLO I probably would have left the A spaced out a bit more.  But other than that, solid. 

Shame that they later tried to mimic the seasick home mark, replicating all its problems and then adding a big one of its own. 

6umdimucofsnskg08221liwfv.png

Oh, that point where the A and tail come together.  Yikes. 

I think the best wordmark logo they had at the time was the one they never put on a jersey, the one built around the cap letter typography:

nrndw0ev7vb42le2dbx5i9a62.png

Not great in this particular treatment, with the oversized ball, but it’s certainly something they could have built around.

That bottom logo seems like something they could say was the inspiration for the new primary logo leak we saw earlier, assuming it's real of course. Wordmark, fish, baseball.

Also I've been a fan of this team since day one and I only realized this week how different the Marlin on their primary logo is/was compared to the one on the F cap and the road jersey and the wordmark above. Seriously put them side by side and youd be amazed. Its like one of those kid puzzles where you have to find the differences between two similar pictures. 

nrndw0ev7vb42le2dbx5i9a62.pnguiqyat8zrx40ircpu9begvbwe.png

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

That bottom logo seems like something they could say was the inspiration for the new primary logo leak we saw earlier, assuming it's real of course. Wordmark, fish, baseball.

Also I've been a fan of this team since day one and I only realized this week how different the Marlin on their primary logo is/was compared to the one on the F cap and the road jersey and the wordmark above. Seriously put them side by side and youd be amazed. Its like one of those kid puzzles where you have to find the differences between two similar pictures. 

nrndw0ev7vb42le2dbx5i9a62.pnguiqyat8zrx40ircpu9begvbwe.png

Oh :censored:, you're right. The bottom one is so much better, the old one feels choppy with the teal rectangles and the lines on the fin.

That being said, i really like the supposed new Marlin, great mix between the old "realistic" style and the toothpaste abomination. Just wish they didn't do black on black.

6 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

Old primary logo marlin > literally everything else. It’s a shame that they didn’t use it on more material. Anyone know why?

I'm not sure, but you put it to good use. A flat-bottomed "M" (like the wordmark @Gothamite praised) would make for the basis of a good fauxback.

5PCiRd2.png

Maybe it was an issue with embroidery?

or an issue with the broken spine/tail.. that thing is horribly wrapped and looks beyond wonky when used in any capacity other than the roundel.. i personally prefer their other marlin by a long shot due to the overall composition and body shape... i can concede that many of the details are preferable on the primarly logo marlin though.. the curvier gills and pectoral fins especially.. i prefer the other marlin's grey/silver dorsal fin though, and i could go either way on the zig-zag vs rectangular teal pattern on the bodies..

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm not sure, but you put it to good use. A flat-bottomed "M" (like the wordmark @Gothamite praised) would make for the basis of a good fauxback.

5PCiRd2.png

Maybe it was an issue with embroidery?

Not bad. edit: the bending in the tail looks weird because it's so far from the F, but it was the same way in original primary.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

When did teal make such a big comeback? I remember when it used to be dismissed as dated 90s "coolness." 

90s cool is back to being non-ironic cool. Stop into your local Urban Outfitters next time you're near one and you'll see.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Well, call it whatever, point being that 90s fashions -- oversized graphic tees, the 90s sportswear brands that we thought died off, and yes, those beloved jewel-tone colors -- are extremely in right now among the kids these days.

Yeah, among kids who weren’t around to see how bad this stuff looked the first time :D 

I prefer when franchises reflect the period they joined the league with slight modernizations to reflect newer trends in design. Resetting a team’s colors should be the absolute last resort. Going from mostly teal to mostly black in 2003 reflected the style of the time. 2012 should have been a Blue Jays level treatment of the 1993 uniforms. Trends at the time we’re swinging back towards brighter colors.

The new blue seems to be a compromise between teal and the 2012. A reasonable twist on the origin teal which may outlive current trends. I’m very interested in seeing how the red-pink is corporated. I’m starting to come around on the potential of this set, but would have preferred something that modernized the 93 set.

1997 | 2003

7 hours ago, marlinfan said:

I prefer when franchises reflect the period they joined the league with slight modernizations to reflect newer trends in design. Resetting a team’s colors should be the absolute last resort. Going from mostly teal to mostly black in 2003 reflected the style of the time. 2012 should have been a Blue Jays level treatment of the 1993 uniforms. Trends at the time we’re swinging back towards brighter colors.

The new blue seems to be a compromise between teal and the 2012. A reasonable twist on the origin teal which may outlive current trends. I’m very interested in seeing how the red-pink is corporated. I’m starting to come around on the potential of this set, but would have preferred something that modernized the 93 set.

They were mostly black well before 2003:

1793317-world-series.jpg.jpg&c=sc&w=850&

The home uniforms had teal script and teal pinstripes. The road FLORIDA was in teal. The BP jersey was teal. You can’t post the back of a road jersey and say they were mostly back. The uniform set between 96-02 is 50/50 black and teal. 

1997 | 2003

8 minutes ago, marlinfan said:

The home uniforms had teal script and teal pinstripes. The road FLORIDA was in teal. The BP jersey was teal. You can’t post the back of a road jersey and say they were mostly back. The uniform set between 96-02 is 50/50 black and teal. 

The entire back is black, the front number is black, the hat is black and the undershirts and socks are black. At best it's 75/25 black and teal.

If anything, the secret to its success is the limited use of teal. 

Archived