Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

11 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

rG30ved.png

It's been said that the eyes are the mirror, or the window, of the soul. Apropos then that the marlin in this logo has been rendered without eyes, as the mark strikes me as being amongst the most "soulless" I've ever seen.

In my opinion, this is nearly as "meh" a design as you'd find in a video game's "Create-A-Team" feature.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

MLB rules do not allow baseballs in logos on uniforms, if there is any chance that logo could confuse a batter at the plate. 

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

How long has this rule been in effect? I ask because teams like the Brewers and Giants have had their baseball filled logos on their jersey sleeves. I might be missing some other teams too.

It's been around for a long time.  Decades, at the very least. The number has changed as the rules get overhauled and updated; in the 2018 edition of the official rules it is Rule 3.03(g)

"No part of the uniform shall include a pattern that imitates or suggests the shape of a baseball."

The wording is simple, but how it is applied in practice is up to the discretion of the Commissioner's office, which has to approve all uniform designs (in the past, league presidents had to sign off as well, don't know if that's still the case after the re-structuring).

It seems that nobody is concerned that this baseball graphic will confuse batters:

rodriguezwipesheadap.jpgJacob-deGrom.jpg691701322.0.jpg

On the other hand, there was some concern back in the day about the Phillies' maroon design, which was why the cap logo had a baseball pattern but the jersey logo didn't.  Somebody - the league president or commissioner - obviously thought that a batter might have been confused for a split-second.

1982+Topps+Traded+-+Ryne+Sandberg.jpg

On the whole, baseball has been pretty good about implementing this rule.  Common sense seems to rule.  And I doubt there's any way they would let the Marlins put this stitching design on the front of their uniforms.

rG30ved.png

Way too easy to picture a batter seeing that logo in his direct field of vision and losing the baseball coming towards him for the split-second that means the difference between a hit and a strike.

11 minutes ago, justen said:

I could live with the bottom one.... that M and fish need a light outline against the black

I wonder with such a dark logo if they'll consider a blue hat and black brim, sort of like this treatment.

ff_3094384_full.jpg

IMG_8938-765x510.jpg

Phillies were allowed to use the full swirl P in ‘87, coinciding with the change to maroon pinstripes. Not sure if the rule changed then, or what happened. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wait a minute... if that's the primary logo, how would it look on a non white background? The baseball being only the seams and the rest of the ball being created by the negative space means on a different colored background the ball would take the color of the background. I think they'll need an alternate version where the ball is closed in right?

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

Wait a minute... if that's the primary logo, how would it look on a non white background? The baseball being only the seams and the rest of the ball being created by the negative space means on a different colored background the ball would take the color of the background. I think they'll need an alternate version where the ball is closed in right?

This is why I dislike both of those logos in the leak. It feels like the designer made them with only a white background in mind because that's the only way they work at all.

The two uniform mock-ups you posted are also underwhelming. The caps don't work (but we knew that already), and the jerseys are just really generic. A version with a blue wordmark looks punchier than with a black script, but I have a feeling we won't actually get that.

16 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

rG30ved.png

High Res Leak Via Reddit.com/r/letsgofish

Design wise I'm loving both logos. The emphasis on black worries me tho, not sure how both would translate on to the uniforms but we'll see. 

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

In the full logo, it looks like the tiny marlin got HBP right in the hip.

Which is why you can't see his eye.  He has it closed and his mouth open in pain.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

the cursive font looks so... boring.  Find me a more basic "a" than that a.  The second m is pretty bad too.  Looks like letters from the script alphabet you'd see above the chalkboard of a 3rd grade class.  Also, the tip of the first M looks like it was lobbed off for some reason.  I realize the fish complete that part in the other version, but why not just commit to that shaped M?? 

Overall, I think the script might be fan made, it looks pretty bush league.

90758391980.gif

8 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

the cursive font looks so... boring.  Find me a more basic "a" than that a.  The second m is pretty bad too.  Looks like letters from the script alphabet you'd see above the chalkboard of a 3rd grade class.  Also, the tip of the first M looks like it was lobbed off for some reason.  I realize the fish complete that part in the other version, but why not just commit to that shaped M?? 

Overall, I think the script might be fan made, it looks pretty bush league.

I agree. I challenge anyone to find a more boring wordmark in MLB right now, especially when you consider how little color it has.

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

1895765494_pinstripeoption.png.a2cb816f3c2c75a58269383916481ad8.png

They are just too plain. The wordmark is too black. And is the shade of blue in the pinstripes even the same in the accenting? Maybe it's an illusion but they look different.

Also, wouldn't the concept on the left look much better if the wordmark were solid blue and the number were mostly black? Then again, it doesn't seem likely that we get any kind of wordmark with color outside of the accenting.

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Which is why many teams, from the Red Sox to Rockies to Brewers, are adopting their cap logos as primary logos.  The more-complicated versions just aren’t as necessary as they once were.  In this era of phone screens and social media, simpler and smaller logos are more important.

While I think it's best for teams to go in that direction, it's still a shame that'd we have to see some of the better primaries go away. The Yankees and Mets are some of my favorites, with the Uncle Sam hat on a bat and the city skyline in a baseball.

Okay, about the Marlins. I need to see the full package before I grade this, but it looks like it's gonna be black-heavy. I wonder if they are still trying to do the neon thing like with the current set. Either way, I need to see some white in there... black-on-black doesn't set well with me.

Archived