infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 6

infrared41

Week 6 was a pretty solid week for uniform match ups. There were three outstanding match ups, one pretty good match up, two awful match ups, and one match up that I've been looking at since Sunday and still can't decide if I like it or not. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may differ from mine and that's perfectly fine. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms. And with that, let's play our game.

BEST:

1. 49ers - Packers: Two of the best uniforms in the league facing off under the lights. It doesn't get much better than that. Every game should look this good. 

MtKcGJv.jpg

2. Colts - Jets: A tribute to Super Bowl III. Kudos to the Jets for bringing back the gray face masks for this game. Unfortunately, this may be the last time we see this great uniform match up. The Jets are going to really f*** up their  getting new uniforms next season. Great looking game. They all should look this good. 

71rtSwJ.jpg

3. Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles - Giants: I think the Giants NY helmet is the better looking of the two, but it was still pretty cool to see the old GIANTS helmets come back for this one. Another great looking game. 

hkGjM75.jpg

4. Chiefs - Patriots: The Patriots have a decent looking uniform that is a few tweaks away from being a great looking uniform. Add in the classic Chiefs road set and we have a very solid match up. 

HWhPrpF.jpg

The "I'm not sure where I stand on this" game of the week.

Jags - Cowboys: Part of me thinks the Jags black over teal look is kinda cool and part of me thinks it's not so great. There's something about it that I like, but I also feel like it's missing something that would make it really work. When I first saw it on Sunday, I thought it looked pretty bad, but as I watched the game, I found myself liking it...and then I'd go back to not liking it...and that back and forth is still taking place. So, here it is. Make of it what you will. I'm still not sure where I am on it.

oWciIKm.jpg

WORST:

1. Bucs - Falcons: A whole lotta ugly going on here. You know it's bad when the Atlanta Falcons are clearly the best looking team on the field. I still can't believe those Bucs uniforms somehow got past the drawing board and made it all the way to the field. 

Ejmg7Kt.jpg

2. Ravens - Titans: See game #1 on this list and replace Bucs with Titans. 

PkRckb4.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it all again next week. Thanks for dropping by. 

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The "I'm not sure where I stand on this" game of the week.

Jags - Cowboys: Part of me thinks the Jags black over teal look is kinda cool and part of me thinks it's not so great. There's something about it that I like, but I also feel like it's missing something that would make it really work. When I first saw it on Sunday, I thought it looked pretty bad, but as I watched the game, I found myself liking it...and then I'd go back to not liking it...and that back and forth is still taking place. So, here it is. Make of it what you will. I'm still not sure where I am on it.

oWciIKm.jpg

Probably the most accurate description of that combo I’ve seen. I like the Jags’ redesign, and thought I’d love this combo, but I change my mind every time I see it. 

I think that Jags combo looks great from any angle where you can clearly see the teal on the jersey. When you can't see it, the pants look like they don't belong at all.

As for the Ravens in purple pants, I'm having a hard time liking it even though it's my ideal Ravens road look. While the purple pants avoid the yoga pants look and reiterate that purple is the primary color, that franchise has spent years building a black-on-the-road brand that I can't get out of my head. Even though the black pants are objectively a bad look, I can't help but like it. 

That Titans set really does get worse every time I see it. They really crapped the bed with this redesign. At least when the Bucs wear white pants, it’s not total garbage in my opinion; there isn’t a single combo the Titans have that save that set in any way. It’s all bad. 

My 1-3 best are right along with yours. Excellent, excellent looking games. I even said last night watching the 49ers/Packers, “that’s what football should look like”. 

Panthers/Washington was SO close to top five. If only Carolina went with white pants instead...I just couldn’t come around to that super mix-n-match combo of theirs. I’m admittedly a sucker for Washington in white pants, so I was pretty happy about that combo. They looked sharp for sure.

And oh hey, remember when Cardinals/Vikings used to be a killer matchup? 

Simeon-Rice.jpg

RiqxKXr.jpg

Man, I’m so done with the Cardinals looking like they fell out of page 64 of the Russell Athletic catalog. No way an original franchise should look like that.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

2. Colts - Jets: A tribute to Super Bowl III.

Holy #@%&!!!  How did I not pick up on this?  I knew the Jets were honoring the SBIII team, but the Colts connection totally flew past me.  I guess that's what 35 years of the Colts in Indianapolis (???) will do.

9 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I think Buccaneers-Falcons should make the top of your WORST list every time they play one another.

. . . unless the Falcons are wearing their fauxbacks (which should be their primaries).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Re: Giants

i think the ny is a weak helmet logo, and I’d like to see them merge the two together and go with a NY in the same style as the GIANTS one. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

i think the ny is a weak helmet logo, and I’d like to see them merge the two together and go with a NY in the same style as the GIANTS one. 

Probably not quite what you have in mind, but 1975 says hello.

1975-giants-logo-helmet.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

My new schtick is that the NFL is about to enter an 80s-inspired era much like the 60s-inspired era of the late 90s/early 2000s. And so,

I think it's likely we see a return to GIANTS in the near future. The return of the white pants full-time, the color rush... The Giants color rush uniforms get talked about on "normal" NFL shows/podcasts more than any other uniform in my experience. When normal fans out there in the world notice how much better that uniform utilizes red, white, and blue than the current ones... we're not far from a change.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

13 hours ago, infrared41 said:

4. Chiefs - Patriots: The Patriots have a decent looking uniform that is a few tweaks away from being a great looking uniform. Add in the classic Chiefs road set and we have a very solid match up. 

HWhPrpF.jpg

I'd say New England has a decent home uniform, but not a decent away uniform. That big stripe up the side of the away jerseys is just horrible. On the home jersey it's hidden as a layer of piping that actually fits the pant stripes. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, Ark said:

I think it would look a lot better if the jersey was teal instead of the pants. 

70dF19D.jpg

This is the one combo I’m really hoping they try with the new set. I think the black jersey/teal pants is one of their better possible combos, but in my opinion this would be their best.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

I agree with every entry and its placement, but I was hoping to see the Bears make the worst list as well for their inexcusable orange jerseys.

I really liked that match-up.  Miami looks miles better with their minor tweaks.  The Bears orange alternate doesn't look bad to me, especially in a day game.  Sure, they're a classic team that shouldn't have alternates, but I think this looks much better than their throwback uniform for comparison's sake

Related image

90758391980.gif

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I agree with every entry and its placement, but I was hoping to see the Bears make the worst list as well for their inexcusable orange jerseys.

I don't like the Bears in the orange jerseys either, but to make the worst list, both teams have to look bad. The Dolphins have somehow managed to come up with a uniform that is not good enough for the best list and not bad enough for the worst list. 

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd say New England has a decent home uniform, but not a decent away uniform. That big stripe up the side of the away jerseys is just horrible. On the home jersey it's hidden as a layer of piping that actually fits the pant stripes. 

Yeah, I should have pointed out that I was referring to the Pats home set. I don't think the road set is as bad as you do, but it's definitely the lesser of the two. 

BB52Big.jpg

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Yeah, I should have pointed out that I was referring to the Pats home set. I don't think the road set is as bad as you do, but it's definitely the lesser of the two. 

The WLAF/NFL Europe teams using it as a base model also causes me to view it in a poor light. If different colors cause it to look worse than it's not a good design. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived