NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Krz said:

Wow no more shared staples center, this will be weird.

They're not playing at the Forum and if they did it would piss me off as a Lakers fan and I know it would for alot of others too. Ballmer only bought the venue so that they can go ahead with plans to build a stupid new Clippers arena in the area because Dolan was blocking it. The Forum is staying as a concert venue.

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

They're not playing at the Forum and if they did it would piss me off as a Lakers fan and I know it would for alot of others too. Ballmer only bought the venue so that they can go ahead with plans to build a stupid new Clippers arena in the area because Dolan was blocking it. The Forum is staying as a concert venue.

But, I'd love it if the Clippers played there for at least a couple years as a FU to the Lakers, especially if they won a championship in there. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Yea word is he plans to build his new arena there.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

A new arena would be a great time to have a rebrand, one that reflects their new city.  This ain't San Diego, get that clippers crap outta here.  And the Lakers came from Minnesota.  This could be the first NBA team organic to LA.

So you mean a total rebrand? Like new name and everything

It would be the first organic team branding-wise, but are they going to dump the Clippers' history before that?

(Not like there's much outside of 1st round exit's and and Donald Sterling, so would you want to embrace that? Me either.)

3 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

A new arena would be a great time to have a rebrand, one that reflects their new city.  This ain't San Diego, get that clippers crap outta here.  And the Lakers came from Minnesota.  This could be the first NBA team organic to LA.

You mean like how they’ve rebranded 2x in the last 5 years? The last thing they need to to change their brand again. They also look nothing like they did in San Diego.

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

So you mean a total rebrand? Like new name and everything

It would be the first organic team branding-wise, but are they going to dump the Clippers' history before that?

(Not like there's much outside of 1st round exit's and and Donald Sterling, so would you want to embrace that? Me either.)

They did a full rebrand when they moved from Buffalo to San Diego, they changed to fit their new location.  Yea they're still in LA but now that they're distancing themselves from the Lakers building it's like a new team.  Didn't the owner say he's willing to do a full rebrand if they moved?

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

They did a full rebrand when they moved from Buffalo to San Diego, they changed to fit their new location.  Yea they're still in LA but now that they're distancing themselves from the Lakers building it's like a new team.  Didn't the owner say he's willing to do a full rebrand if they moved?

He's opened to the idea of changing everything, but doesn't actually think they will change the name. If they haven't won anything before the move, I would change the name to get rid of the stink of the Clippers name.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2019/07/29/Franchises/Clippers-Ballmer.aspx

You know how the Bobcats (now Hornets) were named after its owner?  The Clippers can be rebranded as the Balls!  (After Ball-mer, not Lonzo, his brothers and their dad.)

Just kidding.  But seriously I think Ballmer is committed to the team and if the Clippers win a title I don't think that they will need a new name.  The only teams that I can think of (in the NBA) that changed names after winning a title are the Bullets and the Sonics.  (Looked it up: I forgot about Nationals becoming the Sixers and the Royals becoming the Kings.)  However, I don't think Ballmer would be against a name change, either.  The Sonics name is locked to Seattle and reserved for  an expansion or relocated team, correct?

On 3/25/2020 at 8:36 AM, Krz said:

Wow no more shared staples center, this will be weird.

No, if anything, that would be "back to normal."  

What is "weird" is two intra-division rivals competing against each other in a shared home arena, which is what we have now. 

I don't care too much about this situation either way, but in 2000 or whatever when I saw that the Clippers were playing their home games in the Staples Center, I thought that was some type of temporary situation for while the Clippers were waiting on construction of their own arena, one of those types of situations.  I had no idea that the intentional long-term plan was for the two teams to just share the arena.  I completely understand why they share it, but it still seems weird that they are rivals that take turns calling it their home, sometimes even on the same day.

It's gross that in this moment in history Ballmer is dropping $400 million on an arena he doesn't need for a team that isn't even playing right now. It's capitalism and I get all of that -- and sure is great he's not asking for public funding right now! -- but boy does this shed a spotlight on the divide in our society right now.

Life must be nice at the top.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's gross that in this moment in history Ballmer is dropping $400 million on an arena he doesn't need for a team that isn't even playing right now. It's capitalism and I get all of that -- and sure is great he's not asking for public funding right now! -- but boy does this shed a spotlight on the divide in our society right now.

He also did this:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

These things take so much time he needs to get started now.  The idea for Sofi Stadium goes back to 2015 and here it is just being finished.  The new arena won't be so big of course, but still it's a long process.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

He also overbid and overpaid for the team (2 billion) to avoid a bidding war, and now all the other teams are automatically worth more, i.e., cost more to buy.  

Tax cuts must be nice at the top. 

Archived