College Football 2019

29texan

47 minutes ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

The University of Arizona is going to look great in these throwbacks. I'd love to see them and ASU have a throwback matchup for this year.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

These are legitimately a 10/10 perfect uniform for us. A cohesive, and consistent look that we really need to adopt full time whenever we are allowed to by nike, which I think will happen.

a2BRS8U.png

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

The University of Arizona is going to look great in these throwbacks. I'd love to see them and ASU have a throwback matchup for this year.

spacer.png

Beautiful.

Really no good reason to not wear this uniform full time.

Maybe wear the red helmets as alternates.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

The helmet is flawless, the pants are nice, but these jerseys are super generic looking. Most high schools have higher-quality jerseys now. Did they order these from the catalogue? 

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, henburg said:

The helmet is flawless, the pants are nice, but these jerseys are super generic looking. Most high schools have higher-quality jerseys now. Did they order these from the catalogue? 

That's what that uniform was when they wore them back then. The only way to make them look closer to the originals is to screen the numbers on and use the Champion style numbers. 

Image result for 1992 arizona wildcats football

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, henburg said:

This is literally a modern update of the exact uniforms that they wore in the Desert Swarm era. Most uniforms back then were very simple.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

5 hours ago, henburg said:

Nearly all college uniforms could be ordered from a catalog, and if you call a rep, you can get an even higher level of customization.. the "catalog look" complaint is one of the most tired and ridiculous things I see on these boards.. Alabama, Penn State, Ohio State, Clemson, Ole Miss, USC, etc. all wear "catalog" looks.. they also wear fantastic looks.. ridiculous striping patterns, crazy number fonts, random colors, and pointless chrome are all pretty much always trash.. we should celebrate "catalog looks" instead of ridiculing them..

7 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

I get people say this a lot, but I think this is one case where this actually needs to be brought back full time, no tweaks no nothing, just wear your throwbacks in place of your homes and then get a matching white uniform and reserve the others for alts. Is there anything against doing this?

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I'd add the A to the collar. It looks a bit empty with nothing there. I might also catch some flack but I really enjoyed the "Tucson" font in their modernized desert storm look. I wouldn't be against going back to that to give them a unique look. Also would remove the "Cats" script, just kind of out of place. 

4 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

I'd add the A to the collar. It looks a bit empty with nothing there. I might also catch some flack but I really enjoyed the "Tucson" font in their modernized desert storm look. I wouldn't be against going back to that to give them a unique look. Also would remove the "Cats" script, just kind of out of place. 

Which look was that?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

27 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

spacer.png

This photo is pure 90's football nostalgia...during their peak years they moved from champion to starter and I'm pretty sure nike or the school got the Cats script wrong on the throwbacks.

Colorado going all-white this weekend at UCLA:

They were originally gonna go all-white at Wazzu two weeks ago, but made a last minute switch to white/white/gold instead. Chances are they’ll actually stick with the all-white this time around.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I get people say this a lot, but I think this is one case where this actually needs to be brought back full time, no tweaks no nothing, just wear your throwbacks in place of your homes and then get a matching white uniform and reserve the others for alts. Is there anything against doing this?

If I'm Arizona, I get Nike to make a red version of this uniform and also add red and blue pants. Then, only four combinations are worn: WBW and WRW at home and WWB and WWR on the road. Those uniforms are absolutely flawless and need to be the full-time uniforms ASAP.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

31 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

If I'm Arizona, I get Nike to make a red version of this uniform and also add red and blue pants. Then, only four combinations are worn: WBW and WRW at home and WWB and WWR on the road. Those uniforms are absolutely flawless and need to be the full-time uniforms ASAP.

It amazes me that they drifted so far away from perfection to having some of the worst uniforms in cfb. It all started with stoops switching to navy helmets (leave that to cal) and then they went with the modified miami/vt piping/backstripe...I thought they had corrected course but then rich rod brought on the gradient abominations and what they have now is just inexplicable on so many levels.

4 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

This is literally a modern update of the exact uniforms that they wore in the Desert Swarm era. Most uniforms back then were very simple.

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's what that uniform was when they wore them back then. The only way to make them look closer to the originals is to screen the numbers on and use the Champion style numbers. 

Fair enough, I see that now loud and clear. 

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Nearly all college uniforms could be ordered from a catalog, and if you call a rep, you can get an even higher level of customization.. the "catalog look" complaint is one of the most tired and ridiculous things I see on these boards.. Alabama, Penn State, Ohio State, Clemson, Ole Miss, USC, etc. all wear "catalog" looks.. they also wear fantastic looks.. ridiculous striping patterns, crazy number fonts, random colors, and pointless chrome are all pretty much always trash.. we should celebrate "catalog looks" instead of ridiculing them..

I just felt that these Arizona jerseys look super generic because there's no logo/script/identifying mark anywhere on the jersey, but I see that they're a direct tribute throwback so it's irrelevant anyways. I think "catalog" is a bad thing, and none of those teams you listed could be considered catalog because they're iconic mainstays from the past. I've gone into this heavily before, but the difference is that Alabama has looked pretty much the same from the very beginning, it's authentic. On the other hand, a team like Washington State simply switched to plain jerseys, helmets, and pants to try and feign that same sense of history and it's easy to read as fake. It's boring, uninspired, and the makes them look like amateurs. 

I think you're in the right place if you want people celebrating your philosophy lol, I don't know of many regular members here who have ever ridiculed any of those sets you listed. 

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, henburg said:

I just felt that these Arizona jerseys look super generic because there's no logo/script/identifying mark anywhere on the jersey, but I see that they're a direct tribute throwback so it's irrelevant anyways. I think "catalog" is a bad thing, and none of those teams you listed could be considered catalog because they're iconic mainstays from the past. I've gone into this heavily before, but the difference is that Alabama has looked pretty much the same from the very beginning, it's authentic. On the other hand, a team like Washington State simply switched to plain jerseys, helmets, and pants to try and feign that same sense of history and it's easy to read as fake. It's boring, uninspired, and the makes them look like amateurs. 

I think you're in the right place if you want people celebrating your philosophy lol, I don't know of many regular members here who have ever ridiculed any of those sets you listed. 

I agree partially with your position. A great iconic look in football can easily be done without marks or other explicit branding quite easily by creating a cohesive and consistent look head to toe. What made these uofa uniforms iconic was the choice of colors and the asymetric striping. Because their striping was so unique, that instantly made them stand out, even on old standard def teevee. The best and most iconic cfb uniforms follow this pattern with a bold and consistent color scheme head to toe. The few exceptions to this rule would be the oklahomas , texas and colorados of the world who have traditionally worn lage wordmarks but albeit in catalog fonts. Its funny that you bring up wazzu as I agree with you that they are too minimalistic now but their color scheme is so unique, they should have basic catalog uniforms that if worn in a consistent manner like they did in the 90's would end up being classics.

6 hours ago, henburg said:

I guess my point is that you can order significantly more "customized" looks from a catalog than people give credit for.. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of proprietary fonts and most "unique" striping patterns, as they usually look over-designed and forced, and rarely look better than what they replace.. not to mention, the "catalog" has some fantastic options for fonts and striping patterns, so you can make a fantastic looking jersey by ordering from the catalog.. Wazzu going super plain and boring is the result of them going super plain and boring, not the result of a catalog.. same with Minnesota and Illinois, etc..

Before all the ridiculousness of custom fonts and shoulder wings and crazy stripes hit college football, EVERYONE wore "catalog looks", and it was glorious.. if you find something plain and boring, call it plain and boring, but calling it a "catalog look" is both inaccurate (as catalog looks can be plenty busy) and offensive to really good "catalog looks" (and any look that could be ordered from a catalog)..

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I guess my point is that you can order significantly more "customized" looks from a catalog than people give credit for.. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of proprietary fonts and most "unique" striping patterns, as they usually look over-designed and forced, and rarely look better than what they replace.. not to mention, the "catalog" has some fantastic options for fonts and striping patterns, so you can make a fantastic looking jersey by ordering from the catalog.. Wazzu going super plain and boring is the result of them going super plain and boring, not the result of a catalog.. same with Minnesota and Illinois, etc..

Before all the ridiculousness of custom fonts and shoulder wings and crazy stripes hit college football, EVERYONE wore "catalog looks", and it was glorious.. if you find something plain and boring, call it plain and boring, but calling it a "catalog look" is both inaccurate (as catalog looks can be plenty busy) and offensive to really good "catalog looks" (and any look that could be ordered from a catalog)..

It's just a word I chose to put in place of "generic", I really didn't mean for it to be that deep or personal. That said, I get your point and realize that it might not be the most accurate word to use in 2019. I like all of those traditional looks you listed, but I'm also glad that every team isn't wearing a block font and braisher stripes anymore. Variety and contrast is nice. 

spacer.png

Archived