Gothamite

San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I might relegate the Swinging Friar to fodder for throwback merch.  But even that's because I feel going back to brown is a strong enough nod to the team's nickname, and because I feel the interlocking SD is the strongest part of their brand and should be the focus.

 

I disagree. The swinging friar is a good logo and should retake its place as the team's primary logo. I'm bored with cap logos doubling as primaries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old idea was to do a stylized depiction of Mission San Diego de Alcalá, with the friar (the ‘90s update) as a tertiary. I love mission-style architecture and I find that it’s something the Padres could really call their own in the Big Four (beyond brown/yellow).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I for one would love to see the swinging Friar make a comeback as a primary logo and possibly even a sleeve patch. Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to them coming up with something new that is mission-themed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I suppose you can get specific with spider species, to avoid the “worst team ever, ignoring extenuating circumstances that caused said record” crowd.

 

How about the Cleveland Weavers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

This thread about the Padres will be locked eventually because "Hey Wahoo and Native Americans for the billionth time"

You could all not talk about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Guardians also works for me, as does Forests, Dobys (if we can’t have a Negro League name in MLB, name a team after the first African-American in the AL), and Spiders. I suppose you can get specific with spider species, to avoid the “worst team ever, ignoring extenuating circumstances that caused said record” crowd.

 

That’s a total red herring.   Nobody remembers that team, and nobody cares about them either.  If “Cleveland Spiders” is adopted, it’ll generate a couple days of Bleacher Report articles on the original and then they’ll be forgotten again.

 

That obscure history is not a legitimate reason for Cleveland to avoid the name.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

I disagree. The swinging friar is a good logo and should retake its place as the team's primary logo. I'm bored with cap logos doubling as primaries. 

 

Do teams have designated "social media" or 'scorebug' logos?  Seems to me like part of the reason for the trend is that the primary logo tends to get used a lot, and in today's world of avatars and little scrolly things on the bottom of screens, the cap logo works better.  Obvioulsy the teams themselves can choose whatever they want, but I'd imagine that other outlets simply use programs that pull some specific logo based on tag regardless of team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

My old idea was to do a stylized depiction of Mission San Diego de Alcalá, with the friar (the ‘90s update) as a tertiary. I love mission-style architecture and I find that it’s something the Padres could really call their own in the Big Four (beyond brown/yellow).

 

See I think that might be getting too close to the concern you had earlier about links to the mixed bag historically that is the California missions.

 

No for the reasons mentioned and just longevity at this point the cap logo should remain the primary. But as they’ve done several times in the 90’s and 2010’s the Friar should be the secondary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

That’s a total red herring.   Nobody remembers that team, and nobody cares about them either.  If “Cleveland Spiders” is adopted, it’ll generate a couple days of Bleacher Report articles on the original and then they’ll be forgotten again.

 

That obscure history is not a legitimate reason for Cleveland to avoid the name.  

 

How about, not relevant to this thread topic. Move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

I disagree. The swinging friar is a good logo and should retake its place as the team's primary logo. I'm bored with cap logos doubling as primaries. 

 

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

Do teams have designated "social media" or 'scorebug' logos?  Seems to me like part of the reason for the trend is that the primary logo tends to get used a lot, and in today's world of avatars and little scrolly things on the bottom of screens, the cap logo works better.  Obvioulsy the teams themselves can choose whatever they want, but I'd imagine that other outlets simply use programs that pull some specific logo based on tag regardless of team.

 

This. I love the cartoony vintage logos as much as anyone, but there are so many e applications nowadays that it barely makes sense to use anything but the cap logo.  On top of the fact that the SD is about the only thing that's been a consistent part of their brand.

 

If they want the friar to be part of their identity, the sleeve patch is definitely the place for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree wholeheartedly. 

 

I understand that cap logos often (but not always) work the best for tiny applications, but I still think there should be places for, say, the Yankees' bat-and-hat logo, or the old Pirates logo, or a swinging friar that says "San Diego Padres" around it. Cap logos look great on caps. Some do not work as standalone primary logos, the Cubs immediately coming to mind as one where a red and white C is useless if it's not on a blue field. To the point about designated social media logos, it's worth noting that almost every team on the mlb.com standings board uses their cap logo, but the Cubs use their primary (the Astros use the H-star on a blue circle). It really stands out as an outlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friar should be the official primary.

 

If they want to use the SD for all electronic purposes, go for it. Shouldn't be a primary though. 

 

 

Also pirates, please bring back a pirate as the primary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Primary logos in baseball are an odd thing. Because how many teams do you free associate with that over their cap logo? Especially once you control for the teams whose primary doesn't already prominently feature their cap logo (Cubs, Reds, etc.) or their script (Cardinals, Dodgers, etc.)? And how often do you see them on the uniforms or the field?

 

Even with electronic applications aside, I would say the trend of making the cap logo the primary logo is simply because it's usually the most recognizable part of any team's brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams need a simple bold logo in scorebugs, etc.  I've seen Miami's fish logo instead of the M on sports tickers, it can barely be read.  Friar logo would have the same problem, too much detail in a small space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DiePerske said:

 

Also pirates, please bring back a pirate as the primary

 

Yeah, no. The current design reeks of 1997. 

 

7160681997.gif

 

I’d prefer a cleaned-up version of the “Mel Gibson” logo, but even that looks too much like Bucco Bruce. If anything, the Pirates should avoid designs that look too much like either the Buccaneers or the Raiders. A ship wheel/Jolly Roger design would be most welcome, along with emulating the Pittsburgh crest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

Yeah, no. The current design reeks of 1997. 

 

7160681997.gif

 

I’d prefer a cleaned-up version of the “Mel Gibson” logo, but even that looks too much like Bucco Bruce. If anything, the Pirates should avoid designs that look too much like either the Buccaneers or the Raiders. A ship wheel/Jolly Roger design would be most welcome, along with emulating the Pittsburgh crest. 

Oh, I just said *a* pirate.

 

While I have no objections, as you do, to the current one I'm no picky on which one they choose. Just want one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NicDB said:

Primary logos in baseball are an odd thing. Because how many teams do you free associate with that over their cap logo? Especially once you control for the teams whose primary doesn't already prominently feature their cap logo (Cubs, Reds, etc.) or their script (Cardinals, Dodgers, etc.)? And how often do you see them on the uniforms or the field?

 

Even with electronic applications aside, I would say the trend of making the cap logo the primary logo is simply because it's usually the most recognizable part of any team's brand.

 

No different than football helmet logos, really.  NBA doesnt have hats, but their logos don't appear on the uniform either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chakfu said:

 

No different than football helmet logos, really.  NBA doesnt have hats, but their logos don't appear on the uniform either. 

 

But in football and basketball, the primary logo is displayed prominently in the middle of their home venue.

 

Even the Yankees and Dodgers, who have what are probably the most widely known primary logos in baseball, display their cap logos behind their backstop instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the spring training schedule on the Padres website, it appears the shade of brown they are using will be very dark.  Thoughts on that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.