San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too dark.  They should use what the Browns used to use ("seal" brown?).  That'll look black in some lighting.

Actually, the Browns should use what the Browns used to use.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think using a darker brown was a bit of a compromise. If it was too light, I'm sure plenty of detractors will say that it looks muddy with the yellow or make more unfavorable comparisons. Just as an aside:

Slug9wS.jpguCzqk7Q.jpg

I think the one on the right is best for contrast with yellow and/or tan. Judging by the graphics, it's close to what they'll likely use.

Obviously the darker one contrasts more with yellow, but the lighter one contrasts just fine as well.  If you're gonna go brown, then go brown. It's like announcing you're going blue, and then go with midnight navy when people expect royal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the "Padre brown" on the left contrasts with athletic gold just as well as burgundy and orange contrast for Virginia Tech: you can't mistake them for complementary colors, but it's still a perfectly clear pair of colors, and out of the ordinary enough to stand out. The brown on the right is too dark and too desaturated.

I am intrigued by that shade of turquoise up there as a tertiary color with the classic brown and yellow. Maybe keep it off the uniforms but use it in ancillary branding and stuff around the park.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I honestly like the darker brown more. It's not that different and it's the shade that the team uses right now for the "brown appeasement" uniforms.

ff_3456764-2e427ac076319fc41acbalt2_full.jpg&w=900

I think it works pretty well. Besides, it's the Padres. They're going to screw something up, it just so happens that the screw-up was smaller than normal.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think the "Padre brown" on the left contrasts with athletic gold just as well as burgundy and orange contrast for Virginia Tech: you can't mistake them for complementary colors, but it's still a perfectly clear pair of colors, and out of the ordinary enough to stand out. The brown on the right is too dark and too desaturated.

I am intrigued by that shade of turquoise up there as a tertiary color with the classic brown and yellow. Maybe keep it off the uniforms but use it in ancillary branding and stuff around the park.

Pretty sure the teal is related to Spring Training, not the team. Teal is the Cactus League 2020 color.

spacer.png

Teal or blue has no business in an identity built around brown and gold/yellow.  Keep it to all warm colors.

Did you misunderstand that he said he didn't want teal as a tertiary to brown AND gold, or are you including the black guy's skin as part of the color scheme there?

Anyway, I'm just fond of how that swinging friar jumped out against that turquoise background. That shade could look good on walls, dugout roofs, etc. It could be a stadium-only support color along with the natural sandstone color in the sense that green is for the Red Sox and kind of the Cubs. Never on uniforms, just other stuff.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Here's the entire ST schedule.  I do believe the blue is related to ST and not the Padres specifically, but then again googling for a few other team's schedules I can't find with the same blue

Image result for padres spring training schedule 2020

But this teal/orange is a league wide Spring Training color combo. 

Highly highly doubt the Padres borrow from it permanently. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:24 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I honestly like the darker brown more. It's not that different and it's the shade that the team uses right now for the "brown appeasement" uniforms.

ff_3456764-2e427ac076319fc41acbalt2_full.jpg&w=900

I think it works pretty well. Besides, it's the Padres. They're going to screw something up, it just so happens that the screw-up was smaller than normal.

That photo above looks good BUT my problem is in certain light it appears to have a green tinge. Big problem. Baby poop like. Whatever they end up with (milk chocolate, dark chocolate, etc.) I just want it to be clearly brown without any tinge of green. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI0TOwYUnUhZOErKzDyvU

Archived