2020 Election Logos/Branding Thread

Dexter Morgan

8 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

Deval Patrick 2020 Logo

This, however, is real. Deval Patrick was Governor of Massachusetts and just declared for the Democratic primaries.

Reminds me of this, personally

PapaJohns_newlogo.jpg

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Just call me Mike!  I'm just like you, Joe Taxpayer!"

Net worth: 54.4 billion USD

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sure we already talked about this but I'm reminded again of just how Barack Obama blew the doors off graphic design in politics in 2008.

image_from_ios.jpg?pub_secret=cde152fa45

Look how artless all this was. It was probably a big deal for Howard Dean to use a touch of yellow.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm sure we already talked about this but I'm reminded again of just how Barack Obama blew the doors off graphic design in politics in 2008.

image_from_ios.jpg?pub_secret=cde152fa45

Look how artless all this was. It was probably a big deal for Howard Dean to use a touch of yellow.

Are we talking about the HOPE logo/poster? I'm not sure if he was the originator but it definitely helped him stand out from the rest of the pack. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_"Hope"_poster

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The HOPE poster, the O logo, the use of the Gotham font, all of it was miles ahead of the pack. Look at the other stuff from 2008 and it's all RWB Times New Roman dreck. By 2012, even Republicans got relatively sophisticated about graphic design.

Let's talk about colors. Both the women left in the race utilize blue and green differently, without any red. Warren has a muted and modern palate that I really like. Amy's design doesn't do much for me but the bright green and blue draw me in and ties her to those Minnesota roots, similar to the way Pete has used Indiana colors. Meanwhile, all the old white men continue to use red white and blue, although with more care in the design than you'd expect pre-2008. 

Also, in addition to the American political design renaissance brought to us by Obama 08, light blue is part of the Democratic palate. Since Obama the Dems changed their party logo to light blue, and it's present in the palates of Bernie, Bloomberg, and Amy's campaigns. Before 08 I feel like it would have been rare to see anything besides navy or dark royal.

2020-presidential-items-elizabeth-warren

0c9064e8-f24e-49f1-b4ac-df7138362fbe-156

pete_buttigieg_logo_new.png

I really enjoy the style of posters that both Bernie and AOC seem to be going for, like these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

They have that sort of '50s Soviet style with the leader in a powerful pose and bold, bright lettering and backgrounds (completely separate from the politics, I adore that style). It gives me retro-futurism vibes and I love it.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On the subject of Bernie, the dems, and shades of blue, I like Bernie's usage of both bright blue and navy.

OrgPack-Mockup_2048x20482_2048x2048_436f

Different vibes on each design and they both feel good for the campaign. I also like his "Artists for Bernie" line of merch, where independent artists make designs for shirts and whatnot.

56322_TS_2048x2048_f28a8ea2-698b-4a39-94

56323_TS_2048x2048_fb8c12fe-b7da-4145-a0

56232_TB_470x.jpg?v=1571915653

His campaign also released a poster for his rally with The Strokes a little bit ago, and it's fantastic.

bernie_-_strokes_poster_470x.jpg?v=15814

Bernie's branding may not be as new or unique as Warren's, Pete's, or Klobuchar's, but he's got a ton of versatility in it and I like it.

Could be flying too close to the sun here buuuuuuuut

The relative inferiority of Bernie's brand is, in many ways, the brand. It's not the semiotic tour de force that the Obama logo was, it doesn't have a Nike-esque brand story attached to it like Buttigieg (which assigns all these meanings to colors because they can't just come right out and say "we ganked 'em from Notre Dame"), it's his name and an underline. To make too much of his name and likeness would run counter to the message of "not me, us." 

1 hour ago, QCS said:

I really enjoy the style of posters that both Bernie and AOC seem to be going for, like these:

They have that sort of '50s Soviet style with the leader in a powerful pose and bold, bright lettering and backgrounds (completely separate from the politics, I adore that style). It gives me retro-futurism vibes and I love it.

There's an element of that to the AOC poster. The Bernie pin is standard-issue mid-20th-c candidate pin, no more Soviet than, I dunno, an Ed Muskie pin.

Archived