MLB Changes 2020

kimball

Padres notes: Brown uniforms coming in fall;

The team’s chief marketing officer said Thursday the Padres will unveil their new brown and gold ensemble as early as November.

The “rich brown and vibrant gold” color scheme and the font for the numbers and letters have been finalized. The specifics were submitted to Major League Baseball and Nike earlier this month.

The Padres want to guard as many details as they can until the unveiling. But they did allow the Union-Tribune to witness some of their research groups. At that time, fans involved seemed to favor a white home jersey that included pinstripes.

Partello said Thursday that the word mark for the “San Diego” on the team’s road jersey will be different than the current version. Those away uniforms are sand, not baseball’s traditional gray. However, the sand is based in a brown palette, which will make it unique from the sand color the Padres wore on the road from 2004-10.

The Padres are doing “some fine tuning, some detail work,” such as determining design of outerwear and a subtle change to the “SD” logo.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Obligatory spectualtion as to whether the Brewers finally sh-t or get off the pot this year.)

spacer.png

My 95% speculative prediction is that we get something resembling the original BiG era, but in navy rather than royal.

It also stands to note that this is the last year of Miller owning the naming rights to the stadium. And although not entirely true, there is a strong casual association between the Brewers current branding and Miller's.

It may not literally be Miller's branding, but it did coincide with what was supposed to be the Brewers first year at Miller Park, which I think is the sticking point for a lot of the confusion.

Either way, I'm fine with a navy BiG identity. It's a great way to reclaim what's great about their past while still moving forward. Toronto and Houston are great examples of bringing the paat into the present without reinventing the wheel.

1 hour ago, Proc said:

When is New Era's hat contract up? Will they still be making the hats for MLB next season or will Nike take that over too? 

I believe I heard New Era will be around for a bit.  I think they re-upped when the logo was added to MLB caps a few seasons ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on many hints I have seen and heard the past few months, I have been lead to believe that the Minnesota Twins will wear the 1973-1986 Powder Blue Uniform as a Throwback for 2020, the team’s 60th Anniversary.

I have 3 reasons to believe so. 

1. Judd Zulgad, Radio Host of the “Mackey and Judd” Show on KSTP AM1500 “SKOR North” in the Twin Cities, has mentioned it a few times on the show that they would be worn in 2020 for the 60. Judd  is a former reporter, so it is safe to assume he has connections in the team offices.

2. These Tweets from Twins President Dave St. Peter back in January after the  fan outrage of the Navy Alts replacing the 1961-1971 Pinstripe Throwbacks.

3. This post from January by @Bmac

The Question remains if they will wear it as a Pullover as they have done for many Turn Back the Clock games over the years, or if they will convert it to a Button-Up, like they did in 2009 when they wore the Home Version of the 1973-1986 Uniform as a Season-Long Throwback on certain days, like the pInstripes were from 2010-2018.

All and all, I wouldn’t mind if this happened. In my opinion, the Twins Powder Blue set was underrated. The only downside would be seeing the old, heinous script more than times than needed, including the new Navy Alt.

spacer.png

Would much prefer the fabulous remake by @SFGiants58 

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

• 4 weeks later...

If anything “radical” happens on a league-wide scale, I hope it’s the elimination of full button fronts in favor of the henley placket. There’s no logical defense for button fronts in 2020 with the textiles available today. Many players already have their plackets sewn shut, effectively converting the jersey into a pullover. I definitely don’t want to see 70s patterned v-necks and monster sleeve bands, but I think the short henley placket is a good evolution from full button fronts. Jerseys swallowing up ground balls and front lettering that has to be compromised because of the split? I’d be glad to see those become a thing of the past.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Just now, andrewharrington said:

If anything “radical” happens on a league-wide scale, I hope it’s the elimination of full button fronts in favor of the henley placket. There’s no logical defense for button fronts in 2020 with the textiles available today. Many players already have their plackets sewn shut, effectively converting the jersey into a pullover. I definitely don’t want to see 70s patterned v-necks and monster sleeve bands, but I think the short henley placket is a good evolution from full button fronts. Jerseys swallowing up ground balls and front lettering that has to be compromised because of the split? I’d be glad to see those become a thing of the past.

Yeah, why care about the traditional aesthetics of the sport? Who needs classic placket trim? Why not change things that don't need changing? 

When's the last time a jersey swallowed up a ground ball. and if it did happen, is it a serious issue? A few teams have lettering that gets compromised, but so what? It's not that noticeable to the average consumer.

Button-fronts with the modern textiles are fine. Look at how many players have the partially-unbuttoned look. Yeah, its a bit tacky, but it does kind of disprove your point. 

6 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I'd actually like to see the return of some sleeve bands/striping. So many MLB looks are similar these days, it would be nice to get some variety.

1000% agree with you on the button fronts. Unnecessary and really screws up the lettering on some jerseys. 

Maybe there's a compromise like this....

4307218.jpg

Buttons removed but puts a modern twist on the traditional jersey.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

When's the last time a jersey swallowed up a ground ball. and if it did happen, is it a serious issue?

It has only happened once that I remember. But it is quite the rare occurrence that there is no way it is worth changing the basic traditional look of an entire sport/league. 

T1oYViW.png

20 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

ASG Logo:

For whatever reason, I really like this logo. The 3D effect is whole unnecessary, but to me, it adds such an old-school charm to it. It's super glitzy and over-the-top, just like Hollywood should be. My biggest issue is that the LA monogram doesn't have the drop shadow like "All Star Game" does.

the user formerly known as cdclt

18 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

For whatever reason, I really like this logo. The 3D effect is whole unnecessary, but to me, it adds such an old-school charm to it. It's super glitzy and over-the-top, just like Hollywood should be. My biggest issue is that the LA monogram doesn't have the drop shadow like "All Star Game" does.

That would be too much drop shadow. The shadow is limited to one line...the 2020 isn't drop shadowed either. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That would be too much drop shadow. The shadow is limited to one line...the 2020 isn't drop shadowed either. 

Oh I know, but I feel like it would complete the "faux glitz" theme the logo is going for. Also, the 2020 is drop shadowed, just with blue rather than gold. I think the LA should share this drop shadow, since it brings the whole together.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived