New York Jets unveil new uniforms

7 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Pretty good here, too. 

spacer.png

The expansion Browns hadn't destroyed their uniforms yet, and were still using uniforms very similar to those of the original Browns.  So that looked good.

And when the Jets returned to their classic unforms, I was pleased (despite their using the wrong shade of green).  But I eventually came to think that that uniform had run its course.  However, the Jets managed to replace that uniform by one that's much worse; so now I wish they had kept the old one!  They really blew it by not returning to their best uniform and logo, the simple and timeless design seen in the 1985 picture.

(Another note: both teams should not be allowed to wear white pants.  The Jets should have been forced to wear green pants.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even the too-dark green couldn't stop the 1998-2018 uniform from being the second-best in the team's history, right after the Glory Days classics. 

The last set to feature a green helmet was a downgrade, doomed to become quickly dated.  And this one is too. 

It boggles my mind that the Jets really went back to the black facemask. It was ugly in the 90s and it's still ugly today.

Was black REALLY that popular that it warranted a comeback? It was used during the worst years in Jets history. Name me one good Jets event during that era. I feel like that's an automatic reasoning NOT to bring back a color. Even when Reebok had those black fashion jerseys, I didn't see a single person wearing them. Who asked for this?

XM4KeeA.png

They’re desperate for attention, desperate to sell merchandise.  Even when the Giants are terrible the Jets are also-rans in this city.

I don’t doubt that “black jersey” was one of their must-haves when they started the process.  And then they worked backwards, looking for places to put black on the regular uniform.  Hence the face mask. 

On 8/28/2019 at 8:01 PM, lahaye7 said:

the only thing that bothers me is the white/ green shoulder stripes creeping onto the chest area. But it's not horrific. And I really did't need the NEW YORK on the chest. 

The stripes need the same black trim as the numbers.  I like black with Kelly green.  I wish the helmet logo had a plane instead of a football, but I love the helmet color. 

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Ovie832 said:

Watched 2011 cowboys v jets last night...  Man do I wish the jets stuck with their classic uniforms.  Little color tweak and it's an all-timer.  Loved the gray masks that they wore v colts in 2018.

spacer.png

I liked the gray facemasks on this set...but this set with the green mask was horribly tired and the mismatching greens and the weird should stripes made it look awful.

I'll take the new set over this quite easily. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I liked the gray facemasks on this set...but this set with the green mask was horribly tired and the mismatching greens and the weird should stripes made it look awful.

I'll take the new set over this quite easily. 

Yeah that’s what I meant by a little color tweak. If they used a brighter green on that template and tweaked the stripes...  perfection 

3 hours ago, Ovie832 said:

Yeah that’s what I meant by a little color tweak. If they used a brighter green on that template and tweaked the stripes...  perfection 

That’s kind of where my thoughts have gone with the Jets, now that I’ve sat on the new set a while. I don’t think the new set is bad at all really, but I do think it’s kind of an average modern uniform, one that’s just kind of “there” and not anything super special.

I agree with you and think the only problems the Jets really had previously were fixable with tweaks, and a rebrand wasn’t ultimately necessary. Had they changed to the green they wear now (maybe even a tint brighter) and fixed the stripes, then that would’ve checked off the needed boxes and made it much better. I always have a hard time with the idea that minor problems require major changes or a full-on rebrand to fix; that’s an approach that spawned the Titans’ and (outgoing) Bucs’ spacesuits, and what I always fear is going to happen with the Panthers someday. Thankfully the Jets’ efforts wound up being pretty tame and safe in comparison, but even still, the Jets traded a classic, historical look that just needed some fine polishing to be perfect for something that’s just okay and decent at best.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I give the current look 5-10 years and they’ll go back to the classic look. Probably closer to 10 since the current set isn’t a total dumpster fire like the Bucs and Browns were. It’s just not going to age well. 

12 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That’s kind of where my thoughts have gone with the Jets, now that I’ve sat on the new set a while. I don’t think the new set is bad at all really, but I do think it’s kind of an average modern uniform, one that’s just kind of “there” and not anything super special.

So... it’s the New York Jets of uniforms?  😛

I agree with you, though. Nothing wrong with the old one that getting off the Nike template wouldn’t have fixed.  And the new one won’t last, doesn’t deserve to last. 

The Jets uniforms up until the redesign were one of the most frustrating in sports. Could've been great, but bad decisions compounded to create a mess that they felt could only be cleaned up through a redesign. I actually happen to like the redesign, but the previous uniforms could've been saved through a few simple steps. 

1. Fix the green. The mismatched and drab greens were the product of Nike's pisspoor coloring. In some lighting they looked like they were wearing a muddy brown. The current uniforms show that you can create a vibrant and bright and lively green through Nike. If they'd used the current green on the old uniforms they'd more closely resemble the green worn by Joe Namath too.

2. Fix the shoulders. The Jets actually used the same template as the Colts, which is why the shoulder stripes stopped so high above the armpits. Nike's shown they can create a UCLA stripe that ends closer to the armpit like the good lord intended, but even failing that, if they just reversed the way they striped it you would've had a less junky looking shoulder stripe while achieving the same effect. Here's a visual aid: left is how they did it. Right is how they should've done it. This way you lose that extra notch of green caused by the green stripe closest to the sleeve cap. Pretty obvious and elegant fix IMO

spacer.png

3. wear the green socks with the white jerseys and white pants. For some reason they stopped doing this and opted for the striped white socks instead. The block of green on the legs balanced the numbers with the sleeves and it was a more solid look. The white socks made it look top heavy. 

4. stop wearing green pants with the green jersey

PvO6ZWJ.png

54 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So... it’s the New York Jets of uniforms?  😛

I agree with you, though. Nothing wrong with the old one that getting off the Nike template wouldn’t have fixed.  And the new one won’t last, doesn’t deserve to last. 

Sure hope it doesn’t last. I put up a post on a popular jets Facebook page about missing the old uniforms.  Id say it’s 90/10 in favor of going back.  The only people who comment about loving the new ones seem incapable of talking about it without using flame and firework emojis. 

and to the above post by sport.  Completely agree. They’d be far more accurate to the Namath era.

i also loved the white helmets.  The painted stripes made them very unique. (As only 2-3 teams have painted stripes in the nfl) 

Archived