New York Jets unveil new uniforms

6 hours ago, lahaye7 said:

the only thing that bothers me is the white/ green shoulder stripes creeping onto the chest area. But it's not horrific. And I really did't need the NEW YORK on the chest. 

So the only things that bother you are the only significant design elements? 😛

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The uniform would be improved greatly but simply dropping the black. Plain white and green numbers, and gray facemask (or white, if you want to be a giant baby about it). It's exactly like the addition of the dark gray trim on the Lion's numbers... it's painfully obvious that it's only there to justify the ugly color rush alternative.

20 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Eh, that seems to narrow-minded if I'm being honest. Sure, it's what you grew up with, but the Jets have been a white helmeted team for most of my football fandom. And while I'm not a Jets fan? I gather there are a lot of Jets fans who are my age who likely feel the same way.

The Jets' problem is that they're destined to alternate between white and green helmets. The grass is always greener (heh), and once whatever the current look is has been worn long enough? The other option will seem "fresh" and appealing.

So what's the answer? I would say white helmets. Why? Well arguing about whose childhood is more valid is pointless, so I'll just say this. The New York Jets wore white helmets when they won what is arguably the most famous football game in history. Much like the Edmonton Oilers should probably embrace the Gretzky look? The New York Jets should endeavour to look like the best versions of themselves.

think it's pretty much the opposite of narrow minded. i agree that some fans will associate themselves more with the white helmet, and some with the green. i have no problem with that. what i was taking umbrage with is that a green helmet is a huge brand divestiture for the franchise. and i'd also quibble further and say "the best versions of themselves" is also a matter of opinion.

sig2024.png

Either embrace the black outlines or lose it. Black outlined numbers ruin the flow of the jersey without any other black elements. The New York wordmark needs to be a tad bit smaller too.  

3 hours ago, Brian E said:

and i'd also quibble further and say "the best versions of themselves" is also a matter of opinion.

I would say the game that enshrined the New York Jets in the popular consciousness of football fans, and football lore, qualifies. Much like the Gretzky Oilers were perhaps the greatest hockey team ever assembled? The Super Bowl III Jets represent the pinnacle of the franchise. Not just in terms of on-field success, but in the public's perception as well. 

3 hours ago, Brian E said:

think it's pretty much the opposite of narrow minded.

My point is that saying the Jets look like the Jets again because they have a green helmet is narrow minded, considering that there's likely more Jets fans who associate them with white helmets given the longer tenure of white helmeted Jets teams.

Again though, trying to see who's childhood perception is more valid is a losing proposition because it all comes down to nostalgia. I'm just saying that the "Jets look like the Jets because they have green helmets" is FAR from a universal sentiment.

15 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I would say the game that enshrined the New York Jets in the popular consciousness of football fans, and football lore, qualifies. Much like the Gretzky Oilers were perhaps the greatest hockey team ever assembled? The Super Bowl III Jets represent the pinnacle of the franchise. Not just in terms of on-field success, but in the public's perception as well. 

My point is that saying the Jets look like the Jets again because they have a green helmet is narrow minded, considering that there's likely more Jets fans who associate them with white helmets given the longer tenure of white helmeted Jets teams.

Again though, trying to see who's childhood perception is more valid is a losing proposition because it all comes down to nostalgia. I'm just saying that the "Jets look like the Jets because they have green helmets" is FAR from a universal sentiment.

you, once again, have missed my point. i am not saying my childhood perspective is valid (nothing can be *more* valid; something is either valid or it isn't). the poster i quoted said:

"I can't wait for the Titans and Jets to revert to white helmets in 4 years and we can forget this crummy period of misguided rebranding."

i am saying that  i don't believe that what the jets did with their *re-design* is misguided, but to a portion of their fan base, a change like the green helmets is a welcome one because of their own personal taste/experiences. that's literally it.

sig2024.png

1 hour ago, Brian E said:

i am saying that  i don't believe that what the jets did with their *re-design* is misguided, but to a portion of their fan base, a change like the green helmets is a welcome one because of their own personal taste/experiences. that's literally it.

And I'm saying that's far from universal. 

So if we can both agree to each other's points what's the issue? 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Brian E said:

you, once again, have missed my point. i am not saying my childhood perspective is valid (nothing can be *more* valid; something is either valid or it isn't). the poster i quoted said:

"I can't wait for the Titans and Jets to revert to white helmets in 4 years and we can forget this crummy period of misguided rebranding."

The Jets look better with the green helmet, thats my opinion.  You can have your own, we all do.

> What SHOULD the Jets colors be?

(IMO their current green and white. No black. White helmet and green facemask)

> What SHOULD the Eagles colors be?

(IMO Kelly green and grey/silver. I’d feel better about them being the ones with the grey facemask on a green helmet. Black only as a tertiary color, if necessary) 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Apropos of nothing, Lite Beer has this fun graphic for a Jets-themed box:

spacer.png

Wouldn't want to see that on a helmet, but I do love the little parachuting can. 

Whenever there's stadium jet flyovers where the planes head north, they almost always pass over my house.  What I wouldn't give to stand outside and receive beers delivered to me via little parachutes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Looking at the Eagles...I still just can't not see tealish green. The Jets are green. The Eagles are bluegreen

I think it's a beautiful color(Eagles). The uniform needs tweaking. Don't pair it with black, then you'll have something nice.

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t love the British Racing Green, but it would be helped by being surrounded by brighter colors.  That charcoal and black really make the whole thing dour. 

Keep the green, pair it with silver and white only, and it would be worlds better. 

It's got more blue than British racing green.  I've always associated that as more of a pine or forest, maybe with a tad blue in there.

aa6b349bf64f4b1fb203ff19a5361d2f.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived