New York Jets unveil new uniforms

16 hours ago, joekono said:

Well, the 1994 throwbacks would've been fine. For Jet's fan sake, let's hope Sam Darnold doesn't have "Joe Ferguson Syndrome" ( For you youngsters, it's the reason the Bills went to red helmets because Joe Ferguson, the Bill's QB at the time threw so many interceptions and the AFC east had the Bills,Colts,Dolphins and Patriots in white helmets).

I remember when the Jets changed to white helmets in 98, Weeb Ewbank was quoted as the switch could reduce he number of interceptions because the white helmet will contrast against the green turf, allowing for better play from the QBs.

It was also when Testaverde was the QB, who was colorblind and I vaguely remember that was partially a reason. 

There must be quotes from Weeb out there to find, although the second part about Testaverde was probably hearsay, as uniforms need to be designed way ahead. His colorblindness was also blamed for the slow start and high interception rate throughout his career, including the Bucs changing to white uniforms at home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

At a glance, they do look sort of reminiscent of the 80's uniform...

spacer.png

Needs a jet. 🙃

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

27 minutes ago, darkhaha said:

Just another supposedly super-duper advanced fabric from Nike that in practice looks like crap...

Literally any pair of football pants will look like that playing in 90 degree weather. Nike is selling pants, not miracles

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

14 hours ago, O.C.D said:

They don't look bad. Just kind of boring. Really has Jacksonville (rebrand before last) vibes. Very plain

I disagree. The Jaguars uniforms have no striping at all and are boring, the striping on these uniforms makes them interesting. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

Not bad looking on the field, but still such a downgrade from the pre-Nike uniforms (given that Nike utterly botched the green fabric on the homes).

And why do so few players know how to wear their socks? There's three vastly different sock styles just in this photo - a thin strip of green followed by way too much white, almost the entire calf covered in green followed by a bunched up white sock above the shoe, and the correct half green-half white look. The NFL is getting almost as bad as baseball with this. And don't get me started on the biker pants going on in the back there.

I stand by my initial comments on the new brand. The new logo is bad and uninspired, but the uniforms are solid. Definitely some of the better Nike ones. The green is consistent, and helmet is nice, and black is used very well. The stripes are unique and fit the brand without being over-the-top. It's tastefully modern.

10 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I stand by my initial comments on the new brand. The new logo is bad and uninspired, but the uniforms are solid. Definitely some of the better Nike ones. The green is consistent, and helmet is nice, and black is used very well. The stripes are unique and fit the brand without being over-the-top. It's tastefully modern.

Yeah,  as a non-Jets fan,  I still like the Jets helmet from the 80's.  That logo,  with this current new shell,  would be a very decent 8.5/10 for me.  That's the only thing missing. 

I flipped over to the game tonight just to see the uniforms on the field, and was pleasantly surprised.  They look great!  I'd really like to have seen the jet logo they used on the previous green helmets, though. I understand why they did what they did, but the other one would have been so much better, especially with those points on the jersey and pants.

After seeing it on a field on TV, here are some of my current thoughts on the Jets Uniforms.

1. They are surprisingly pretty solid!

2. Black is still unneeded, but doesn’t bother me as much as at the reveal.

3. The NEW YORK wordmark still looks very High School-Like

4. The shade of Green on the Helmet makes it look black-ish (and not the ABC TV Show)

5. The Sleeve “Stripe” is halfway decent. Looks better than the Browns or Chargers out-of-sleeve designs. I like it. Would look a lot better if it was more like the Texans or Patriots stripe there it was sort-of on the Shoulder so they could keep the TV Numbers on the sleeve, which is something I really like in Football.

6. Love their Block Font mostly. The #1 sucks and the #4 is meh though. Rest is beautiful

7. Add a stripe on the socks

8. Only wear G/G/W/G, G/W/W/G, or G/W/G/W

da0Lbhs.png

I could live with these if they used the 80's Jets logo on the helmet or removed the football from the wordmark on the helmet, ditched the New York from the jersey front and made the front numbers a little bigger.  

i agree that they really surprised me with how good they looked on the field. i'm a fan of these anyway, but i was struck by how well they came off on TV.

they're a couple of tweaks away from being an amazing set. i agree the 'NEW YORK' wordmark isn't necessary, but i barely noticed it last night. and i would have preferred the '80s logo on the helmet, but the finish on the helmets makes up for it, IMO.

i'm a fan. i really hope  they consider staying away from mono green and mono black, and break both of those looks up with their white or black pants. i'm sure we'll get at least one all-green game though.

sig2024.png

I agree with most of the sentiment on here. They really are remarkably reminiscent of the '80s era, which I love, but it's unfathomable why they wouldn't have just readopted or updated that era's logo. The addition of that football on the helmet logo is so unnecessary. For a uniform upgrade this good, they did themselves a real disservice with the helmet logo. 

Archived