MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

9 minutes ago, QCS said:

I wouldn't think so, but they may have a say in forcing players to split time between two cities.

Yeah I guess for the players that move their families to their home city, that could be problematic. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/23/2021 at 5:46 PM, GDAWG said:

When they are done with trying to move the A's to Oakland, Las Vegas will make phone calls and write emails to Adam Silver about Las Vegas being the 32nd NBA team.  Also three prospective ownership groups, one of them being the Golden Knights are trying to get the MLS to come to Las Vegas.  

Shades of Kansas City in the late 70s/early 80s.

As a reminder, that didn't end well for everyone; my money is that even if the As move to Vegas, they are going to be relocating again in a couple of decades at the latest.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

Shades of Kansas City in the late 70s/early 80s.

As a reminder, that didn't end well for everyone; my money is that even if the As move to Vegas, they are going to be relocating again in a couple of decades at the latest.

Need I remind you all that a goddamn indoor soccer team outdrew the Kings by a factor of 2 in the early 80’s? Kansas City has the college basketball hall of fame now. Failing at selling basketball here is like failing at selling football in Texas. Mahomes wants an NBA team here and unlike Vegas, we actually have an economy that isn’t based on one industry so maybe Round 2 will work out. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Need I remind you all that a goddamn indoor soccer team outdrew the Kings by a factor of 2 in the early 80’s? Kansas City has the college basketball hall of fame now. Failing at selling basketball here is like failing at selling football in Texas. Mahomes wants an NBA team here and unlike Vegas, we actually have an economy that isn’t based on one industry so maybe Round 2 will work out. 

Kansas City won’t get a basketball team the same reason Louisville never will. Pros won’t want to play in either city, and fans aren’t going to support an unsuccessful pro team when they have a college alternative that’s one of the best in the nation.

9 minutes ago, dont care said:

Kansas City won’t get a basketball team the same reason Louisville never will. Pros won’t want to play in either city, and fans aren’t going to support an unsuccessful pro team when they have a college alternative that’s one of the best in the nation.

As opposed to the exciting metropolitan areas of Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis,  Milwaukee and San Antonio? 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

As opposed to the exciting metropolitan areas of Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis and Milwaukee? 

Do any of those have college basketball powerhouses? Didn’t think so. You don’t see the NFL trying to start a team in Tuscaloosa either.

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

We'll have to see how things shake out post-pandemic, but I was under the impression that the arena didn't want either basketball or hockey because they felt they would sponge up valuable dates that could go to lucrative concerts/events.

• Like 1
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Actually the reason Kansas City won't get an NBA team is because the arena  makes more money running the concerts and other events through there that they did (at least pre-pandemic) then they could with an NBA team in the building and their 41 dates.  At least that's been AEG's reasoning in the past.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Do any of those have college basketball powerhouses? Didn’t think so. You don’t see the NFL trying to start a team in Tuscaloosa either.

Well actually...if you push the radius out about 40 miles or so due south or northwest, one of those cities does--or at least at one time did--have a CBB power nearby: Indianapolis, thanks to IU being a little over 40 miles south in Bloomington.  (Though not a "power", per se, Purdue is about 40 miles the other way up in west Lafayette.)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Indiana is not a basketball power.

<------IU alum

• Like 3
Today, we are all otaku.

I think y'all missed the part where I said "did".  That's past tense. 😉

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 10/9/2021 at 3:34 PM, BBTV said:

One thing I don't understand, is how the split-city plan calls for two small stadiums.  That doesn't make sense, unless they're conceding that very few people will come even if it's centrally located.  Playing half the games in one city doesn't mean that the stadium only has to support half the people.  I don't really understand the logic - if it's all financially based, wouldn't having more people in there increase revenue?  And if they don't think more people would come, why are they even considering this, rather than looking elsewhere (maybe there is no elsewhere?)

That is an excellent question. 

On 10/9/2021 at 3:40 PM, GDAWG said:

Tampa Bay Rays: "We are still going with the Dual cities/dual stadiums plan with full support of MLB"

Rob Manfred: "We support the Rays plan of playing in two cities and two stadiums"

MLBPA: "Yeah, we don't think so. "

The MLBPA didn't care (or at least couldn't do anything) when a bunch of Expos "home games" got moved to San Juan.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

38 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The MLBPA didn't care (or at least couldn't do anything) when a bunch of Expos "home games" got moved to San Juan.

but at least in theory, this would give the players two state-of-the-art facilities to train and play in, whereas now, the players have to eat crap in the worst facility in MLB for 81 games.  Splitting time between two home cities (and countries!) isn't ideal, but maybe it's worth the trade off for the players if they get to have the same amenities that their peers enjoy on a daily basis.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

22 games spread out into 3 different trips throughout the season, is not the same as 81 split in half. San Juan was almost more like 3 different  vacation trips to Puerto Rico. This would basically be moving to a different location during the season. Yeah the Blue Jays did 3 different ones this year, but it was a one-time instance due to unforeseen circumstances and they're not talking about making that a permanent situation going forward.

• Like 4