MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

2 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

okay...

I'm gonna just move on from this... Never said I have a great opinion, it was my opinion. That all I will say.

It's not an opinion.

MarINERS =/= MarLINS

• Like 6

VmWIn6B.png

Mike Trout is not an all time great. I have nothing against him taking money to play in a place where nothing matters and there’s no pressure - I’d absolutely do that too. But winning matters, and if you’re not winning, it’s simply more important (and much harder) to play in certain cities to make a real impact. 

Mike Trout has completely empty stats, and much like our discussion re: Phillip Rivers, Mike Trout simply doesn’t matter in any way shape or form. 

that can certainly change between now and when he retires. 

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hot take: Baseball postseason is a giant plinko game anyway, so why should we care so much about it when evaluating individual performances.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 1/21/2022 at 8:35 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I stand by my weird takes, Mike Trout bashing and all. 

That’s entirely fair, but don’t call him an all-time great when he anonymously compiled stats on a team he knew would struggle to get to .500. At least Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, and the aforementioned pre-playoffs baseball stars could sniff contention on a regular basis. At least those guys had more personality than the milquetoast Mike. 

Baseball needs somebody compelling like Jeter, Bonds, or even Bryce Harper to be the best player. Even guys like Brady and LeBron, as machine-like as they are, never were the boredom that was Mike Trout. 

But back to the Rays - Stu seemed so broken-hearted when MLB told him to shove his plan up his intestinum crassum.

So he hasn't put up the numbers that he has because it's on a non-winning team? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. One could make the argument if someone put up outstanding numbers only against bad teams. But that's not the case here. He doesn't play against his own "bad" teammates. He plays against good teams (and bad) and puts up all-time great numbers. He'll go down as one of the greatest players ever, first ballot Hall of Famer and probably a unanimous selection. Why? Because he's an all-time great player, regardless of what team he plays on. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 5:20 PM, BBTV said:

Mike Trout is not an all time great. I have nothing against him taking money to play in a place where nothing matters and there’s no pressure - I’d absolutely do that too. But winning matters, and if you’re not winning, it’s simply more important (and much harder) to play in certain cities to make a real impact. 

Mike Trout has completely empty stats, and much like our discussion re: Phillip Rivers, Mike Trout simply doesn’t matter in any way shape or form. 

that can certainly change between now and when he retires. 

Individual players in baseball probably have the lowest impact on the game of any sport. You could get on base every time you're up to bat, but you still need teammates who can bring you home. You can crush a home run, then the next inning watch your pitcher get shelled from the outfield. Baseball also has the lowest percentage of teams who get into the playoffs.

Obviously winning would be huge for Trout's legacy, but you can't just write him off because he hasn't won. Ken Griffey Jr. never got to a World Series, but his impact on the game is still felt.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Individual players in baseball probably have the lowest impact on the game of any sport. You could get on base every time you're up to bat, but you still need teammates who can bring you home. You can crush a home run, then the next inning watch your pitcher get shelled from the outfield. Baseball also has the lowest percentage of teams who get into the playoffs.

Obviously winning would be huge for Trout's legacy, but you can't just write him off because he hasn't won. Ken Griffey Jr. never got to a World Series, but his impact on the game is still felt.

This is 100% correct. And such criticism is somewhat unfair because of it. But at the same time, whether it's justified or not won't stop it from becoming a narrative through-line for his career story, the same way it was for Barry Bonds before him, Dan Marino in the NFL or Charles Barkley in the NBA. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Get me the catfish with brown rice and hushpuppies.

spacer.png

. . . or perhaps you prefer a mudcat . . . 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃