MLB 2019 Changes

The piping on the Expos jerseys looks way too thick.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I'm way behind here, but these all star event uniforms look atrocious. I thought vest/ sleeveless went out of style 10 years ago. I see all the Future's players wearing gray/navy/ red undershirts. Just give us the what Quillz said. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I have a feeling that most casual fans (or those who aren't terribly invested in sports apparel as a hobby) would prefer that the players wear their "normal" caps and jerseys during the All Star Game and Home Run Derby. Since MLB/Majestic has gone the gimmicky route, very few of the design concepts have been worth getting remotely excited about. I really can't imagine them generating much revenue from the merchandise sales, but maybe I'm underestimating the market for that kind of gear.

22 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

"Tradition" is most likely the answer and mlb likes to feel like its all star game is more legit than the others (which I will admit its the biggest).

They killed that tradition the day they started using the stupid hats.

Hats are arguably the most recognizable part of a baseball uniform.

Save the ASG themed hats for BP/HR Derby and preferably with league logos instead of team.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

very few of the design concepts have been worth getting remotely excited about.

The only ASG caps I ever bothered to buy were back in 2014 when everything was white-paneled. I bought a Blue Jays cap since, at the time, that was the only way the Blue Jays were wearing a white-paneled cap with their new look. Of course about a season later they brought back a white-paneled cap as an alternate (which I assume they still wear on occasion). That was one of the few times ASG caps were actually fine for everyday looks. I think I got an Angels one, too, because they seem like another team that could pull off the look.

2 hours ago, bcon_731 said:

no idea why no team has adopted powder blues for away uni's. greys are just getting old, and definitely those blues would be a breath of fresh hair. 

Because "tradition" seems to be the only reason. Even though in the very early days of baseball, teams wore pinstripes and colored pants on the road. I said in another thread on the matter that if powder blue had always been the historic standard, then teams wearing gray on the road would probably be seen as a gimmick the way powder blue is. Of course, gray is neutral like white is, so you could argue every team can pull off gray, while not every team can pull off powder blue.

56 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Because "tradition" seems to be the only reason. Even though in the very early days of baseball, teams wore pinstripes and colored pants on the road. I said in another thread on the matter that if powder blue had always been the historic standard, then teams wearing gray on the road would probably be seen as a gimmick the way powder blue is. Of course, gray is neutral like white is, so you could argue every team can pull off gray, while not every team can pull off powder blue.

This. Gray is a color that works with every single uniform in baseball - it's completely neutral. Powder blue is not. Hence why there's a misconception that powder blue was once a Phillies color, or that it was a Royals color (to the point that they revived powder blue as an alternate home uniform).

Also, they frankly look like hospital scrubs:

spacer.png

It's a terrible color for a sports uniform when done head-to-toe. Fine as a top paired with white pants, but the head to toe look belongs in a hospital, not on a ballfield.

25 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

I liked seeing the Home Run Derby participants in team jerseys this year. Made it more fun by seeing all the players show team pride.

MLB: We are going to have workout day jerseys and caps that have a crossed bat logo that looks like the Home Run Derby trophy. 

Home Run Derby participants: We are going to wear the same uniform we wear for our games.  

😂😂😂😂

I’m not mad about this at all. The over commercialized and materialistic culture that has developed is often discussed on this site. It was nice to see a step back into what once was.

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

MLB: We are going to have workout day jerseys and caps that have a crossed bat logo that looks like the Home Run Derby trophy. 

Home Run Derby participants: We are going to wear the same uniform we wear for our games.  

😂😂😂😂

I’m not mad about this at all. The over commercialized and materialistic culture that has developed is often discussed on this site. It was nice to see a step back into what once was.

Except didnt most of the derbys from like 93 - recently players wore bp tops or jackets etc...?

So are vests making a comeback in baseball? I don't mind vests, but I gotta say this looks a little sloppy with players wearing whatever they want underneath.  There should still be a little uniformity in that sense: every player needs to wear x-color underneath.  Also, the grey t-shirt look underneath looks pretty bush league.   

Image result for baseball player

Image result for futures game

90758391980.gif

On 7/7/2019 at 8:39 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

I really don't get how anyone besides little kids cares about the ASG.  Most of the players don't care, none of the teams want their pitchers pitching in it, and it's just a 4-day period without anything to watch.  The rosters are barely legitimate with the silly voting process.

I don't disagree but I think I still watch it because it's still a fun exhibition of a bunch of really good players (at the least) and I think it's possible to watch it without taking it too seriously. It's just for show so I'm gonna watch it just as a show without over thinking the voting process and who really cares or doesn't care. I would imagine that's why a lot of people still watch it. It doesn't have to be dead serious and super legitimate for it to entertain me once a year.

I don’t think this is an uncommon experience, but the MLB All-Star Game, as a kid that grew up without cable, was one of the few times I got to see the different uniforms and caps on TV. The player introductions is still my favorite part of the game. 

4 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I don’t think this is an uncommon experience, but the MLB All-Star Game, as a kid that grew up without cable, was one of the few times I got to see the different uniforms and caps on TV. The player introductions is still my favorite part of the game. 

Tonight I'm actually gonna have my son sit down and watch the intros so he can see the uniforms and put faces to some of the players names he's heard from me in passing. I will not require him to watch anything after the intros though. Not sure exactly what that says but I think many here would think the same way. 

16 hours ago, Quillz said:

I dont disagree but certain teams could pull off or have done the powder blues in the past. All within reason, it would interesting to see. Wouldnt want to see the chicago white sox in blues but the blue jays or mets would be interesting. 

The only time where powder blue looked OK for me was when the Blue Jays did it, because they made light blue (well, turquoise-ish according to TruColor) a team color. Even then, the 1989-96/2012-present grays are a better look.

DitTBXDVsAA8XNh.jpg:small

The Royals one looked dreadful because there was no royal on the design outside of the striping, while the Phillies simply looked better with grey jerseys. I'd love for the Phillies to do the maroon/powder color scheme, provided that they use powder as sparingly as the use royal now and don't use pastel blue pants. Both the Royals and Brewers (royal/yellow or navy/yellow-gold) look good with powder as an accent or as a jersey base color, but the powder blue pants is a step too far.

I'd much rather teams have changed up their color schemes whole-cloth in the 1960s/70s, rather than lightening some colors/redistributing shades/adding powder blue road uniforms.

The stars on the ASG caps look appropriate for the 2 Texas teams.  I also think the cap piping looks good with the Asros uniform.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Take off the stars, patch, and seam striping and make this the Braves away cap. Huge upgrade over their current Yankees-ish model. Better yet just make the home cap full time again. spacer.png

Archived